Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gazza

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I think going to Rangers was his downfall...................He freely admits he was attracted there because he was told the players already had in place a large social and drinking culture around the club at that time.

Another regret he had was pretending to play the flute after scoring against Celtic. He got death threats for months after that. All these things would affect someone very strong mentally. He admitted that he felt very scared going out in Glasgow. After a while whoever threatened him said that he'd behaved himself and his life was not in danger anymore. That would cause extreme anxiety.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The most prodigiously gifted player that I've seen.

'Daft as a brush' was Bobby Robson's affectionate description, but Gazza was so much more than that.

Impetuous, cheeky, unpredictable, childlike in his appreciation of the game, Gazza had it all.

The Cruyff turn against the Dutch in the World Cup was outrageous in its audacity. Who else would've tried it, let alone done it?

6:55 in the video. It's worth watching over and over again for his balance alone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djW54KY-XfM

It's almost like one wishes that he'd been brought up in a different time as he struggled to deal with life off the pitch and under the media spotlight.

Despite all the fame, riches and accolades, Gazza would probably have been just as happy kicking a ball around the Newcastle streets with kids.

That's no guarantee that things would've been any different though - one only has to look at similarly flawed geniuses like Garrincha, Robin Friday and Best.

That said, there's still time for Gazza to be turned around. Like many on here, I'm not convinced that he can do it by himself.

Whatever happens, we'll always have the memories of when he was a magnificent, magical midfield maestro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Iu5YSqN0Ok

Last edited:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
That has to be one of the most ignorant posts ever on here. The media destroyed him and continue to do so. Probably my biggest footballing hero (and being an ex-Tottenham man). So sad to see his plight. :down:

I was a spurs season ticket holder for most of the 90's and early 2000's however i never got to see this great man play however is an absolute footballing hero of mine. I also remember the 1990 world cup which for me was my absolute favorite. He was an awesome player.

I think if he was around playing today he would be talked about in the same catagory as messi and ronaldo (almost) however he was in a great England team with such amazing players like Waddle, Beardsley, Barnes. What an attacking midfield... with Gazza too

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Watched a recent documentary on Gazza. He said if he'd been booked or sent off in the 1991 FA Cup final (before he smashed his knee in later on in the match) his career might well have taken a different path. I think that injury changed his life completely and caused so much more of his mental health problems. He was never the same player after that.

I saw the documentary but I really don't see what impact the injury had. He had already agreed the deal with Lazio and he did not appear to be any lesser a player after the injury.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
2016 has been The Year of the Grim Reaper - I'm not expecting Gazza to make it into 2017. Such a waste!

In all likelihood had he stayed on the wagon he'd be one of the England coaches. Just imagine what he could have done for morale, relieving tension as well as improving the creative side of our play. The ripples from his demise spread far and wide.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Someone should take him out fishing with a bucket of chicken, I know thats what Gazza would do if he was looking to help somebody in need.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Was good at kicking a football about but if you watch the documentary where his ex wife tells how he hit his 5 year old son then I lost all respect for him. Also beat his wife up. Has had so many chances that the average person in the street that has 'issues' wouldn't get. An ambulance called to his house 3 times last week due to his drinking. It's getting boring now. To say it's "the medias fault" is ridiculous, this picture has got 5 pages already so we're all interested in him.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Was good at kicking a football about but if you watch the documentary where his ex wife tells how he hit his 5 year old son then I lost all respect for him. Also beat his wife up. Has had so many chances that the average person in the street that has 'issues' wouldn't get. An ambulance called to his house 3 times last week due to his drinking. It's getting boring now. To say it's "the medias fault" is ridiculous, this picture has got 5 pages already so we're all interested in him.

I'd disagree with that. There are places out there where people who need help can get it. You don't have to be a former professional footballer to seek out and make use of that help.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
The most prodigiously gifted player that I've seen.

'Daft as a brush' was Bobby Robson's affectionate description, but Gazza was so much more than that.

Impetuous, cheeky, unpredictable, childlike in his appreciation of the game, Gazza had it all.

The Cruyff turn against the Dutch in the World Cup was outrageous in its audacity. Who else would've tried it, let alone done it?

6:55 in the video. It's worth watching over and over again for his balance alone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djW54KY-XfM

It's almost like one wishes that he'd been brought up in a different time as he struggled to deal with life off the pitch and under the media spotlight.

Despite all the fame, riches and accolades, Gazza would probably have been just as happy kicking a ball around the Newcastle streets with kids.

That's no guarantee that things would've been any different though - one only has to look at similarly flawed geniuses like Garrincha, Robin Friday and Best.

That said, there's still time for Gazza to be turned around. Like many on here, I'm not convinced that he can do it by himself.

Whatever happens, we'll always have the memories of when he was a magnificent, magical midfield maestro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Iu5YSqN0Ok

Totally agree. I was lucky enough to watch him in his prime playing for Spurs and thought he was the most gifted player I ever saw live with the possible exception of Hoddle.

The crowd always expected some magic from him every game and he rarely disappointed.

Hope it all works out for him in the end but the omens don't look good.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matbha

Apr 13, 2014
Just because that was the case in your experience, doesn't mean it is in everyone's. Gazza has been sectioned before, exactly how much lower does he need to go? Mental illness is rarely as simple as just realising you've got to help yourself.

Having been here i know how hard it is ,saying that Gazza has had high profile help and still seems to want to self implode i think its the only way he gets his high now he no longer plays ,thats why its harder for him than me

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Maybe half his problem is that he has had too much help. He was used to a life where he probably never had to do anything for himself and always had a wide support network to fall back on.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Maybe half his problem is that he has had too much help. He was used to a life where he probably never had to do anything for himself and always had a wide support network to fall back on.

Part of the problem though wasn't it ? His 'support network' was Five Bellies and his pals for years......

Anyway, breaks my heart to see him like this. Think he is the only truly instinctive English footballing genius I've seen in my lifetime. Mental illness is a horrible thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here