Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] gatwick drop-off fee £5

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've now got to get up early doors tomorrow to take my wife to Gatwick as there's a train strike. What's the process for paying this charge please? (I was going to ask about avoiding it but having read the thread, will suck it up! )
You can do it online afterwards within 24hrs. Or sign up for auto-pay and whenever you do it it’s just done.

For £5 she’s dropped off right where she needs to be. If I was doing it regularly I’d probably use the free alternative suggestions. Pick up on return, I’ve always used the long stay as it’s free for 2 hours and my passenger just jumps on the long stay bus.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
It's extortion and utterly outrageous to charge someone to drop off or pick up a traveller who is paying the airline for the flight, from which the airline pays the airport for the lake-off and landing slots. It doesn't matter whether it is "only the cost of a pint", it's still outrageous.
It is indeed outrageous. They're nickel and diming us to death! All those saying "it's only £5" are clearly living in a parallel universe.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's extortion and utterly outrageous to charge someone to drop off or pick up a traveller who is paying the airline for the flight, from which the airline pays the airport for the lake-off and landing slots. It doesn't matter whether it is "only the cost of a pint", it's still outrageous.
I wish my pints were the same price. It costs far more than £5 for a pint of artisanal hand crafted beer in the places I go :shrug:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I drove through the £5 drop off area by accident but didn’t stop, do I still need to pay?
Definitely as wife made same mistake, a £5 drive-through

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It is indeed outrageous. They're nickel and diming us to death! All those saying "it's only £5" are clearly living in a parallel universe.
It is when you consider they are charging a driver to take their CUSTOMERS to them. You know, those same customers that make them money by spending in the food outlets, shops, bars and duty free.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
No it’s not
a friend picked his friend up two days ago, and said it was £7 charge . Just looked it up- its a minimum of £5 he stayed beyond 10 mins!

Planning to use the drop-off zones?​

You can drop passengers off by car outside the terminal buildings in the designated drop-off zones.

The drop-off zones are located directly outside the airport terminals and are the most convenient place for dropping off passengers quickly and easily.

Charges:

• £5 for 10 minutes
  • £1 for each additional minute up to 20 minutes
  • Maximum charge of £25 and the maximum length of stay 30 mins.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Did you see that Brewdog are opening a bar in the North Terminal in (I think) December? Wonder if they'll withdraw Punk IPA from the Red Lion?
Yes I did. Good move for the environment as Brewdog is a carbon negative brewery; sink enough Punks before a flight and you’ve offset all your co2.

Regards.

Greta Tubthumper.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Make them get a bus to the long stays it’s hardly a chore. It won’t be long until they cut off this I reckon minimum £5 charge soon.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
It’s only £5, why would you not pay it?
Out of principle.
The driver who took us to Heathrow for the return journey home had to pay the same.
Bloody daylight robbery, what next a pound a person to drop off at railway stations !
Have to pay for everything over there, that I did notice.
Even air for topping up car tyres !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here