Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] gatwick drop-off fee £5

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
A lot of the issue was not people hanging around for a few extra minutes. People were pulling up and then heading up into the terminal to avoid paying for short term parking. There were also a lot of unofficial taxis that used to hang around. All of this blocked up the spaces for those just dropping off and at times, it was dangerous with people having to walk thought double parked vehicles.
As I said earlier in the thread, I’m up their 2-3 times a week and it’s much more efficient, job done I say 👍

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
If I want to drop off at the terminal I have to use the scheme. There is no choice. The only way of not using the scheme is not dropping off at the terminal. That is a different choice that would involve parking elsewhere and using a shuttle, incurring extra time and expense for no good reason.
There is a good reason, the drop off area is way more fluid now with people no longer loitering and zero circuit drivers ( that’s those who use to drive slowly round the circuit in a holding pattern waiting for the passenger to arrive kerbside) 👍

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There is a good reason, the drop off area is way more fluid now with people no longer loitering and zero circuit drivers ( that’s those who use to drive slowly round the circuit in a holding pattern waiting for the passenger to arrive kerbside) 👍
I agree - much better since the charge was introduced. Previously it was always clogged, people were leaving their cars to pop into the terminal, arguing with the parking enforcement guys about how long they'd been there or where they'd stopped etc etc.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I agree - much better since the charge was introduced. Previously it was always clogged, people were leaving their cars to pop into the terminal, arguing with the parking enforcement guys about how long they'd been there or where they'd stopped etc etc.
Agreed it’s amazing, it’s like they’ve introduced a “No dickhead” policy to the DO area 😂😂😂

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agreed it’s amazing, it’s like they’ve introduced a “No dickhead” policy to the DO area 😂😂😂
A fiver for a No Dickhead policy. Put like that’s it a bargain, money well spent. Can it be applied to other areas of life?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Amazing how easy it is to give dickheads a gentle nudge in the right direction through the introduction of a fairly modest fee :lol:
Bit like taking credit card details for restaurant bookings.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It’s just another expensive to pass onto my customers rip off Britain

I'm assuming from this thread's 'Gatwick regulars' that @Chicken Run is passing it on while @pastafarian isn't ? Do you have the option to add a fiver to the price, or not depending on where the customer wants dropping?

And I should point out that I have no idea of the situation, hence the question. I have a mate who has a corporate 'meet and park' deal so I tend to use that :smile:

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm assuming from this thread's 'Gatwick regulars' that @Chicken Run is passing it on while @pastafarian isn't ? Do you have the option to add a fiver to the price, or not depending on where the customer wants dropping?

And I should point out that I have no idea of the situation, hence the question. I have a mate who has a corporate 'meet and park' deal so I tend to use that :smile:
I have got taxis to Gatwick a number of times and it’s always added on. Not an issue.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Manchester airport another £5 snatch and no other options as all is well covered by CCTV, wouldn't mind the days takings on a busy B/Holiday.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
£6 from Friday.

Screenshot_20240104-161401~2.png

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
It costs a fiver for half an hour in the short stay car park so you may as well park go use the bathroom to drop a deuce and actually get your moneys worth rather than just use the drop off.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
60 cars a minute
12 hours a day

£259,000k a day
x 365 days a year

=£94.6m

Yes , its to stop congestion
The actual words are "help reduce congestion" and allow it to "reinvest in sustainable transport".

Both seem plausible goals from a price increase.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here