Gatherings of more than 6 people to be banned

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oh don’t worry I’m here smiling to myself observing as people openly advocate martial law and prison sentences for people who meet other people. I’d recommend watching less Piers Morgan.

Meanwhile in Sweden....

81687304df111989b6dfff8449f50767.jpg

New Zealand. Oh look, the numbers go up in 20s.

NZ.JPG

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
I think the general population, including vulnerable people, has and continues to show incredible restraint. Despite the confusion of messaging.

I really would like to believe you, but the easily garnered evidence seems to say a dangerous minority are not...

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-police-shut-down-494-house-parties-in-four-days-in-greater-manchester-11971032

And that was during lockdown - it may be a minority, but it’s a dangerous minority.

And yes, the messages couldn’t be more confusing - only last week pushes were being made to get everyone back to the office!

The government seems to blunder from one soundbite to the next...

Roll on world beating Operation Moonshot...

:ffsparr:

That even looks like Boris

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

To :

That's quite a journey.

Bitch! Yes, it appeared to be ‘just’ another local affair back then. Only it really was the the big one. How you manage such emergencies is a different matter and I’ve no problem with emergency powers being used in the same way they were during wars.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The number of children mixing on their way to school is now off the scale. Lots of connections between different families.

We are totally screwed. 2nd Wave and Total Lockdown 2 looking inevitable now.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
The number of children mixing on their way to school is now off the scale. Lots of connections between different families.

Good movie title that. With the tag line "We are totally screwed"

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
And yes, the messages couldn’t be more confusing - only last week pushes were being made to get everyone back to the office!

Whilst I understand why it appears confusing, I don't think it actually is.

The more interaction there is between humans, the more the virus will spread - that we know.

So it's about trying to find the delicate balance that allows as much normality, for want of a better description, to continue whilst minimising the number of people getting seriously ill and dying.

Essentially there's a long list of ways humans interact, and some have been selected as "OK" and some are deemed "not OK". Of course the virus doesn't respect pubs and stay away and it doesn't have to stop at the school gates and wait for the kids to come out.

The interactions selected as "OK" have been chosen in order to enable education to get up and running and the economy to function as fully as possible. Limiting social interactions has been chosen as one of the sacrifices we are making to enable education and industry to function.

It's clearly very difficult to try and find a balance, and many people won't agree with what is allowed and what isn't.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

Meanwhile there are 487 people in hospital in TOTAL with Covid out of 68 MILLION of us. Let that sink in. 500 of us die every day from cancer. Stop letting the media terrify you.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Meanwhile there are 487 people in hospital in TOTAL with Covid out of 68 MILLION of us. Let that sink in. 500 of us die every day from cancer. Stop letting the media terrify you.
I am not terrified. I don't particularly care actually.

I just see a neutral inevitably of another total lockdown.

It could have been prevented but the rush to cram the cannon fodder into public transport ( so Tory donors don't have to close the offices they rent out ) and to force mixing of different families by insisting schools reopen has just one predictable consequence.... Total Lockdown 2.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint

It could have been prevented but the rush to cram the cannon fodder into public transport ( so Tory donors don't have to close the offices they rent out ) and to force mixing of different families by insisting schools reopen has just one predictable consequence.... Total Lockdown 2.

'cannon fodder' ffs get a grip

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

You may well be right. Would have been better for the government to introduce legislation to force public transport services to restore their pre-lockdown services. That would go a considerable way to ease the congestion on trains and buses thereby reducing risk.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020

So a 27% increase on a week previous?

No cause for concern in your eyes, and yes treatment is better, so there are less deaths, but do you want to take that chance?

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Unfortunately, the Police seem to refuse to enforce any rules preferring the softly softly approach of engage and educate. Only it doesn't work. Giving the organiser of a party a fine and not the attendees means they just move on to the next. Bars will moan but how many of those moaning have rigorously adhered to track and trace info and social distancing? The kerching of the tills means far more to them than health.

I disagree, the police are on a hiding to nothing, they are trying to maintain business as usual but with the now added and overwhelming demand of Covid, they simply don't have the resources and numbers to be dealing with Covid breaches in the simplistic way you suggest. Can you imagine the resources required to try and address an illegal gathering of even a modest amount of people? Trying to detain and obtain details and issue penalty notices to even a small group of 50 would require at least 3 times the number of officers to deal with safely, scale that up to allow for every such incident in a city like Brighton for example and it just isn't feasible to achieve. Not to mention being expected to deal with every other perceived breach. The onus is firmly on society to stop being selfish entitled dickheads and do the right thing to reduce the spread of this disease, blaming the police for not enforcing it is frankly another method of saying 'its not my problem'. It is your problem, its everyone's problem and we should all be doing our bit to make the people breaching any rules realise what pricks they are being.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I can't imagine allowing 3,000 from Madrid, plus however many from a festival of 250,000 - many of whom will have travelled via the NW from Ireland and back - would have overly helped things back then. Those two events in mid-March should have been binned. The warning klaxons were already ringing loud and clear. Setting up a few hand sanitisers was never going to be enough.

Worth remembering while all this is going on there is a large horse racing event taking place this week in Doncaster. So we can probably expect Yorkshire to start looking bad at some point in October.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Is it just me that since the announcement of covid marshalls can't get an image of Chief Warden Hodges running around Brighton screaming.

You two stop holding hands
Blows whistle - right no one move - tape measure out - right you you and you without the masks on you're 1.995m apart that's a £100 fine each.
And numerous other very minor breaches being dealt with on the basis of the letter of the law will be applied.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Whilst I understand why it appears confusing, I don't think it actually is.

You are talking about now. We were discussing up to now. The government now appreciate the messages have been confusing - most did not even know what the "rules" were. I had stopped trying to keep up to date.

It's difficult and unprecedented times - and that is why we need our government to be honest and also clear in instruction. It's important.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Worth remembering while all this is going on there is a large horse racing event taking place this week in Doncaster. So we can probably expect Yorkshire to start looking bad at some point in October.

There is a full FA Cup round one series of matches. Reduced capacity means little for most clubs at this level. Social distancing will be in place with all clubs implementing their own version of Track and Trace (i.e. recording names and contact nos electronically and manually).

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

As I understand it people were allowed in on day one but that changed to none

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports