Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gatherings of more than 6 people to be banned

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Dearie me.

I'm quite lucky that I've not lost a loved one (others on here have) but this "flu" has certainly altered my body for the worse, possibly permanently. I have gone from a 3h 45 marathon runner to someone who can't really walk more than a couple of miles without getting tired and I had a cough for four months. And I'm lucky. just a quick look at yesterday's BBC Covid round up will show you other cases of "long covd" again with people under 50 who were training for marathons or regularly cycled or climbed. That's not normal, it's certainly not flu.

And before anyone says "you weren't saying that in February", no i wasn't and I was wrong (I am sometimes :wink: ).

And before anyone says "you're a mod" I am, and I'm calling out something factually incorrect posted by a user who appears to be a dyed-in-the-wool troll.

It's really important for doubters to read things like this.

Yesterday I was doubting the need for more restrictions. If it's only young people getting it and deaths aren't rising why don't we just let them get it and build some immunity - but reading your story hits home why we all need to take it seriously.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It's really important for doubters to read things like this.

Yesterday I was doubting the need for more restrictions. If it's only young people getting it and deaths aren't rising why don't we just let them get it and build some immunity - but reading your story hits home why we all need to take it seriously.

Could we not try and build immunity and yet take it seriously at the same time?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Can someone help with this a bit as like a lot of people, I'm constantly confused by the change of rules and messages.

It's my other half's 40th at the end of the month and I've booked for 16 of our family from four different households to go to a large open plan restaurant where the four households were all going to be on separate tables. As I understand it now, although the restaurant will still be open and can have that many tables filled with people that don't know each other, I'm going to need to cancel?

sounds like four seperate housholds, just happen to know each other dining at same time. small world eh?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I am aware of that, but why not make the comparison to the flu, or other strains of coronavirus if you like - such as the common cold.

We have to live with all of these things. At what point will we accept that we have to live with COVID-19 too?

Or do we live in a socially distanced, nosophobic world forever now?

Of course not. We have to behave in such a way that this thing disappears of its own volition. Your posts in this thread have been full of the usual Trumpisms on this subject. To compare the virus with the impact of flu is factually incorrect as there a proven significantly higher rate of contagion. Covid causes many long term symptoms and seems to resemble a respiratory infection rather than flu. To compare it (as I think you did) with a previous pandemic where social distancing and isolation were not enacted and to claim that this earlier outbreak was worse (and that that means anything) is breathtaking. Of course it was, precisely because current rules were not enacted ! The reason the virus is spreading again is that people have dropped their guard.
I am aware my post belongs in the sub forum but really had to counter this denial agenda as it is certainly costing lives in the good old U S of A. Up here in the middle of nowhere in Norfolk we have a poultry factory in Attleborough closed after 100 cases diagnosed and our local school shut after a teacher tested positive on the first day back (the Headteacher is now in quarantine). As a consequence high street trade has declined by 50 %. I don’t think asking people to restrict social gatherings to 6 people is particularly intrusive given all of this context.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm quite lucky that I've not lost a loved one (others on here have) but this "flu" has certainly altered my body for the worse, possibly permanently. I have gone from a 3h 45 marathon runner to someone who can't really walk more than a couple of miles without getting tired and I had a cough for four months. And I'm lucky. just a quick look at yesterday's BBC Covid round up will show you other cases of "long covd" again with people under 50 who were training for marathons or regularly cycled or climbed. That's not normal, it's certainly not flu.

its not flu, though i believe its not uncommon following pnumonia, which can be consequence of flu or other respiratory illness.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
My wife has just got a letter from the DHSC asking if she would take part in a COVID - 19 testing research study, if she agrees they will send her a test kit and then send a courier to collect her test sample. They should have picked me, I'm pretty certain I had COVID - 19, or something remarkably similar, back in January. I had a cough/cold that wouldn't go away, I was absolutely knackered all the time, had a temperature for a couple of days, was struggling to breathe, lost my sense of taste/smell which returned about 2 days later (like you get with a normal head cold) then it went again about 2 weeks later. Went to the Doctor as I felt so bad, he checked me all over then prescribed a weeks course of Steroids as well as 2 week course of Antibiotics. The Steroids are because I have asthma (they use them if you have a bad attack), this was around the time that Covid - 19 was beginning to spread out from China and I jokingly suggested to my Doctor that I must have contracted it. He said "No, it hasn't got as far as our country yet".
Or had it? my breathing is still not very good and my energy levels are up and down like a yo yo, and this is 6 months later.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Listening to Johnson atm and its clear we have run out of tests and he has no idea what to do, other than blame people wanting tests.

Starmer - "When is the government going to fix test and trace?"

Johnson - "You support crusty left wingers and want to go back into Europe"

When are we going to hold these clowns to account? ANSWER THE QUESTION.

Brother Sid

Jan 4, 2006
Horsham
There seems to be a discrepancy between Johnson's claim that there is capacity to carry out 300,000 tests a day and the fact that only just over half that number were carried out yesterday.
Why?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I'm inclined to listen to this guy; he has the qualifications to actually know what he is talking about.

8/20/2020
A strain of the novel coronavirus spreading across large parts of the globe may be ten times more infectious but less deadly, a top disease expert has said.

President-elect of the International Society of Infectious Diseases, Paul Tambyah, has said evidence suggests the proliferation of the D614G mutation in some parts of the world has coincided with a drop in death rates.

He said this could mean the new strain, increasingly found in Europe, North America and parts of Asia, is less lethal.

Epidemiologists may not be surprised, as the majority of viruses tend to become less virulent as they mutate - a way of ensuring its own survival in its host.

Prof Tambyah told Reuters: "Maybe that's a good thing to have a virus that is more infectious but less deadly.

"It is in the virus' interest to infect more people but not to kill them, because a virus depends on the host for food and for shelter.”

Seems he was right. Infection rates are rising but the death rates are negligble from the peaks of over 1000 a day back in April.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Unfair is because of your political leanings Harry ...actually being heard to challenge this government is not necessarily gobbing off as you call it..and they dont have to do it every day...but really they could say a lot more...the cynical in me is thinking KS is keeping quiet so as not to spoil his chances in the next GE.

Re this government ....at the beginning i had a lot of sympathy and thought they were doing their best...but as the months have gone by thats all gone down the plug hole

Just my opinion Harry ...you wont be putting me on ignore will u now :D

Ps I agree entirely with your second sentence

Just listened to PMQT. Starmer recounted one example of a person with a family member with symptoms, unable to book a test, anywhere, with spaces advertised miles away that were not available when attempts were made to book. He raised this in a courteous way and asked the PM what he planned to do, and said he'd support the PM in is attempts to get this testing to work.

Boris replied that we are doing more tests than any other nation, and that Starmer should not be attacking and undermining the NHS.

It was a breathtaking, couldn't-give-a-shit nasty reply from Boris. But his fans will lap it up.

Starmer was stoic. No shouting. He made his point. And so it will go till the next general election.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
look at the hospital cases and deaths.

Media need to calm down

Staggering that people now are only starting to wake up

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Just listened to PMQT. Starmer recounted one example of a person with a family member with symptoms, unable to book a test, anywhere, with spaces advertised miles away that were not available when attempts were made to book. He raised this in a courteous way and asked the PM what he planned to do, and said he'd support the PM in is attempts to get this testing to work.

Boris replied that we are doing more tests than any other nation, and that Starmer should not be attacking and undermining the NHS.

It was a breathtaking, couldn't-give-a-shit nasty reply from Boris. But his fans will lap it up.

Starmer was stoic. No shouting. He made his point. And so it will go till the next general election.

The bolded bit I disagree with, this is now affecting the core voters

It is fair to say the impact on Jobs/lack of tests/schools (other than deaths) are the three main knock on affects and that will be hitting everyone.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Which one of the list of reasons to get a test do you think allows those who are choosing to travel of their own accord to get one?

I'm sure we could all come up with "whatever reason" to get a test today, tomorrow and next week.

A British Citizen (I assume) travelled home to the UK for reasons undisclosed. He appears to be saying that the place in which he works and resides requires he be tested before he returns. So, on that basis I will accept there may be a moral reason that he pays for the test himself. Especially if tests are as rare as hen's teeth, which is the real narrative here.

I took his message more as an indictment of the total failure of the government's testing scheme, an issue that has just been raised in a courteous and reasonable way by the leader of the opposition.

I think the whataboutery regarding the poster's circumstances and moral obligation to pay for a test (and, incidentally, jump the queue, denying a test to a member of the public, assuming the NHS is sourcing all private test capacity, as it should be) is a distraction :shrug:

I'm sure you don't really think that the government's testing regime is working as it should, though. Do you?

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
I'm sorry but if there is any evidence of this I would love to see it. As far as I'm aware an overwhelming majority of healthy people make a full recovery, with most not even having any symptoms.

Exaggerating the risk of the virus is not helpful for anything.

Hmmm. An otherwise healthy friend of ours who happens to be a care worker for the young caught CV about 3 months or so ago. She is still suffering from issues that have only surfaced following her infection. I really don’t think she is exaggerating.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here