[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
They really cannot let it go. Spiteful shitbags.

View attachment 158293
They’re not used to not getting their way, like any spoilt toddler.

The fact is they, as with many on the right, have convinced themselves that they alone represent “the silent majority” against some form of out-of-touch liberal “elite”. The 2016 referendum and 2019 election cemented this motion in their head. Their problem is, however, that it’s not really true, and every so often this butts up against reality. They honestly thought everyone hated Gary Lineker as much as they did, and the public would welcome his departure, or at least greet it with mild indifference. Unfortunately for them, he’s actually an incredibly popular public figure with a high recognition factor and who is generally seen as a nice guy. Therefore, when they forced him out, the backlash honestly stunned them. They were forced to recognise that outside their carefully cultured echo chamber there’s still a real world with real consequences. It’s the same as the booing of Johnson at the Jubilee last year, or the market reaction to Truss and Kwarteng’s budget. They just can’t understand it, so engrained are they in their right-wing eco-system.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
How the fcking hell were two banks, institutionally corrupt, bailed out and rescued with tax payers money, when they should have been allowed to wither and die.
Without wishing to drift off topic into the 2008 financial crash, probably to avoid thousands of people having their life savings wiped out and losing their homes overnight would be something to do with it.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
the real news being the tories behaving like the nazi party?

Obama deported millions of immigrants, Biden is turning back boats.

So was Obama or Joe Biden behaving like the Nazi Party?

I'm pretty sure they aren't. But using your theory on what makes ones behaviour mirror the Nazi party maybe they are...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
They’re not used to not getting their way, like any spoilt toddler.

The fact is they, as with many on the right, have convinced themselves that they alone represent “the silent majority” against some form of out-of-touch liberal “elite”. The 2016 referendum and 2019 election cemented this motion in their head. Their problem is, however, that it’s not really true, and every so often this butts up against reality. They honestly thought everyone hated Gary Lineker as much as they did, and the public would welcome his departure, or at least greet it with mild indifference. Unfortunately for them, he’s actually an incredibly popular public figure with a high recognition factor and who is generally seen as a nice guy. Therefore, when they forced him out, the backlash honestly stunned them. They were forced to recognise that outside their carefully cultured echo chamber there’s still a real world with real consequences. It’s the same as the booing of Johnson at the Jubilee last year, or the market reaction to Truss and Kwarteng’s budget. They just can’t understand it, so engrained are they in their right-wing eco-system.
They were pretty stupid to pick a fight with GL, a WC hero, a player never booked in his career and with 8.5m twitter followers (more than any UK politician) All because he showed some humanity.

DM, Geebies all trying to pretend what he happened means the end of the Beeb. Desperate...

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I am fitting my tib foil hat for size.

Sunak seems to throw a blanket over this story. The Tories can't afford to lose their foothold in the BBC. Without the public broadcaster I their pocket any chance of winning the next election is lost.

What is inspiring about this whole situation is that the support for Lineker suggests that their is a chance that the UK can crawl out of the influence from the right wing press and start to think t like the traditionally empathetic and caring country we remember.

They are not going to give up without a fight though, of course they are going to bang the asylum seeker rhetoric for all it's worth, also watch them stoke the culture wars like never before.

Places tin foil hat on head.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Obama deported millions of immigrants, Biden is turning back boats.

So was Obama or Joe Biden behaving like the Nazi Party?

I'm pretty sure they aren't. But using your theory on what makes ones behaviour mirror the Nazi party maybe they are...
That's the spirit !

What this forum needs is another bod misinterpreting Lineker's tweet, and going off on some brand new irrelevant tangent.

This time it's about US Democrat presidents resembling nazis, all the while not giving a mention of Trump's wall or his insurrection on the White House (ring any bells?).
Nope. Not on the radar. Not a sausage.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
That's the spirit !

What this forum needs is another bod misinterpreting Lineker's tweet, and going off on some brand new irrelevant tangent.

This time it's about US Democrat presidents resembling nazis, all the while not giving a mention of Trump's wall or his insurrection on the White House (ring any bells?).
The poor quality of the arguments against Lineker around this whole thing speaks volumes about the situation.

Go blue/red whatever team!

The fact is to really disagree with what has happened in the last week you are required to disagree with both Lineker's statement (unless people pretend not to understand it) and the idea of free speech.

Lineker has really played a blinder here.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
That's the spirit !

Nobody misrepresented his tweet, he said similar language used by Germany in the 30's. he chose to compare them to one of the most brutal regimes in past history.

There's plenty more modern examples he could have used to compare similar immigration policies but he went full clown and picked the one that is so far from what was actually happening in Germany at the time it's ludicrous.

One of these examples is pointed out and you go full gimp. Ok I'll mention Trump. He continued on with what Obama had started and Bush before him and now Biden is turning back boats.

Less triggered now?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Braverman's next move to vilify these poor people. What a f***ing rotter!

I mean is anyone buying this shit? (The lie not the drugs) What self respecting drug dealer would use those boats and those people to move product? Unsafe, unreliable and in the full view of the coastguard, the media and probably Nigel Farage with his binoculars.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Nobody misrepresented his tweet, he said similar language used by Germany in the 30's. he chose to compare them to one of the most brutal regimes in past history.

There's plenty more modern examples he could have used to compare similar immigration policies but he went full clown and picked the one that is so far from what was actually happening in Germany at the time it's ludicrous.

One of these examples is pointed out and you go full gimp. Ok I'll mention Trump. He continued on with what Obama had started and Bush before him and now Biden is turning back boats.

Less triggered now?
This must be a record.

You try to quote Lineker's tweet, and then ignore your own misquoted quote, and claim something completely different, about a country to which Lineker wasn't even referring anyway.

I'm done. I'm going out for the day.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
A thought on those who preferred the MotD coverage without the punditry and commentary: why are they watching MotD in the first place? And why are they waiting until 10.35pm on a Saturday to watch commentary and pundit free highlights when they're available for free much earlier via a myriad of other sources?

After a match there's highlights in the following places:
- 2-3 mins on Sky's YouTube or website (free);
- 20 mins on Sky later in the day (subscription needed);
- Full coverage if selected as game of the day (subscription needed);
- 5 minutes coverage on the day on the Albion website and YouTube page + reaction and interviews (free);
- Extended highlights the next day running between 10-20 mins (free).

If they prefer MotD without the pundits (fair enough if they do), why not just watch the highlights that don't have pundits?:shrug:
I think we all know the answer. They are just arguing for the sake of it. They actually think some people believe that someone would rather wait until 10.35pm to watch something they could watch whenever they want from 5.30. It is crazy.

Less triggered now?
it was the language used he compared. I have still not seen anyone make a proper argument that the language used is not similar to to that in 1930s Germany.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
it was the language used he compared. I have still not seen anyone make a proper argument that the language used is not similar to to that in 1930s Germany.

I agree, the arguments either deliberately misrepresent what he said it there are a couple where they say that they know a lot about it and it isn't similar. I know if is hard to disprove a negative but there isn't even an attempt. And one of the latter was from a posted link from someone who had written books about the holocaust.

Still I think there is a struggle for good reason.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I think we all know the answer. They are just arguing for the sake of it. They actually think some people believe that someone would rather wait until 10.35pm to watch something they could watch whenever they want from 5.30. It is crazy.

The language used is similar to other modern Governments.

"Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas recently confirmed that any migrants intercepted by the US Coast Guard off US shores will not be allowed to enter the country — they will be turned back or, if they express fear of returning to their home countries, repatriated to a third country."

“The time is never right to attempt migration by sea,” Mayorkas said in a press conference earlier this month. “To those who risk their lives doing so, this risk is not worth taking. Allow me to be clear: If you take to the sea, you will not come to the United States.”

Exactly why would anyone decide to go full Godwin and choose the Nazis over something like the above?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

"Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas recently confirmed that any migrants intercepted by the US Coast Guard off US shores will not be allowed to enter the country — they will be turned back or, if they express fear of returning to their home countries, repatriated to a third country."

“The time is never right to attempt migration by sea,” Mayorkas said in a press conference earlier this month. “To those who risk their lives doing so, this risk is not worth taking. Allow me to be clear: If you take to the sea, you will not come to the United States.”

Exactly why would anyone decide to go full Godwin and choose the Nazis over something like the above?
Not really though is it? No mention of being illegal or criminals. No mention of 100k (or billions) potentially coming. No mention of things like 'invasion' which has been consistently used by those on the right.
How hard is to understand that the language the right in this country uses is dehumanising, sensationalist, fear mongering...? And how hard is it to accept that othering, scapegoating, dehumanising etc was one of the central and earliest tactics used by the Nazi party?
Why are people even arguing about this?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

"Swarm", "invasion" etc etc.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Not really though is it? No mention of being illegal or criminals. No mention of 100k (or billions) potentially coming. No mention of things like 'invasion' which has been consistently used by those on the right.
How hard is to understand that the language the right in this country uses is dehumanising, sensationalist, fear mongering...? And how hard is it to accept that othering, scapegoating, dehumanising etc was one of the central and earliest tactics used by the Nazi party?
Why are people even arguing about this?
Good question. I fear that those in denial about the use of dehumanising language are quite happy to see refugees and "foreigners" dehumanised. They can't quite accept that people fleeing persecution (in places like Afghanistan, Syria, Eritrea, Sudan, etc) are actually human beings, too. And the logical next step is that such lesser beings are not worthy of the same treatment as nice white people who live in the UK. It's a slippery slope from there to....

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Good question. I fear that those in denial about the use of dehumanising language are quite happy to see refugees and "foreigners" dehumanised. They can't quite accept that people fleeing persecution (in places like Afghanistan, Syria, Eritrea, Sudan, etc) are actually human beings, too. And the logical next step is that such lesser beings are not worthy of the same treatment as nice white people who live in the UK. It's a slippery slope from there to....

The more times the 'confusion' gets explained the more the likelihood of your fear being correct increases.

Very few who don't pretend not to understand the tweet disagree with it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports