Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
You are in danger of making an assumption here that fits with your own views. You actually have no idea whether a 'small handful' of Brighton fans support the BBC or whether the majority do (in truth, most probably don't care that much) , or whether they would be 'on the wrong side of history. An NSC thread is not necessarily representative of all Brighton fans. For what its worth, this was the subject of debate amongst last night's crowd in our local pub. Apart from one person who was incensed by the BBC, no one cared about the politics but everyone wanted Lineker sacked because he is an overpaid twatt.
Okay, a small number "on here".

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
In all seriousness though, the entire football broadcasting world has basically come out in Gary’s defence. Knowing that you peers and colleagues have your back in that way must feel f***ing awesome.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So we've got presenters, pundits and production teams "oot".
Who will be the first player to support Gary and withdraw?
Withdraw from what exactly? Playing?

If you mean interviews, from my understanding BBC won't do any interviews with players today since some players indicated they might boycott it.

Which probably comes down to them being scared of players bringing it up on the air rather than accepting that the players dont want to talk with them.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Withdraw from what exactly? Playing?

If you mean interviews, from my understanding BBC won't do any interviews with players today since some players indicated they might boycott it.

Which probably comes down to them being scared of players bringing it up on the air rather than accepting that the players dont want to talk with them.
Playing

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
You don't think it is too much to ask that people working in television should not be allowed to criticise the government without getting sacked or suspended?
Are we talking about Lineker as I didn’t realise he’d been sacked or suspended ?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Labour propose investing money going after the criminal gangs that organise the crossings, rather than locking up the people they have transported, and processing claims in a more timely manner so that hotel bills are not running into millions per day. They do not state it, but I suspect they would seek to have greater co-operation with the EU, possibly including being treated as an EU country for the purposes of the Dublin agreement.
I am certain that a former QC and human rights lawyer would not waste time and energy on a bill that contravenes human rights conventions that the UK is signed up to.

Ultimately there are only two ways to realistically tackle crossings by small boats, police the beaches and coastline in France heavily, or make alternative safe routes and put those that cross by small boats at the back of claims processes, thereby encouraging use of the alternative safe routes to asylum over dangerous crossings.
I did read somewhere that Kier Starmer prosecuted more trafficking gang members in his 5 years as DPP than the Tories have since he left that role nearly 10 years ago.
There is always the option to torpedo all small boats and machine gun any survivors.

Maybe that is what some on here would like as a deterrent?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
In all seriousness though, the entire football broadcasting world has basically come out in Gary’s defence. Knowing that you peers and colleagues have your back in that way must feel f***ing awesome.
Now that I don’t think anyone can disagree with…he must be sitting at home with a smugness that only Edie Howe could pull

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
You are in danger of making an assumption here that fits with your own views. You actually have no idea whether a 'small handful' of Brighton fans support the BBC or whether the majority do (in truth, most probably don't care that much) , or whether they would be 'on the wrong side of history. An NSC thread is not necessarily representative of all Brighton fans. For what its worth, this was the subject of debate amongst last night's crowd in our local pub. Apart from one person who was incensed by the BBC, no one cared about the politics but everyone wanted Lineker sacked because he is an overpaid twatt.
Fantastic to dismiss the views of NSC and then say everyone in a pub felt the same. I am calling BS on that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here