Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He can say what he likes, but the BBC have never wanted their presenters expressing party political bias.
So, once again, Alan Sugar, David Attenborough, Laura Kuennsberg, Fiona Bruce, and Andrew Neil are all free to say what they like, but a popular football presenter isn’t?

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
Please. Do you truly believe in your heart that the UK is on the road to non-Anglo Saxons facing murder or mass murder for not being Anglo-Saxon?

The outpouring of empathy with Lineker shows a kind nation. The last EU mass survey of black people across the entire continent including the UK, showed us to be the least racist country in Europe. Not the lazy musings of white Europeans guessing stuff, instead the experiences of black people. For every Chelsea supporting racist oaf, migrants we meet in our lives here are appreciated by the vast majority of Brits.

If you really think this is the Fourth Reich, how come we’re free to talk about it, how come Labour are just 21 months away from forming a government?

I don't think anyone's suggesting that we're 5-10 years away from becoming Germany in 1938. What they are saying (including Thunderbolt) is that some of the language about refugees - "swarms" and an "invasion" was similar to what was going on in early 1930s Germany. I'm no history student and don't know how accurate this is. What I do know is that I'm appalled by most of what this government have done in the past few years. I'm also really worried about how the BBC now seems to be controlled by the government (added to our right wing press) and the Tories appear to be trying to turn the country into some sort of dictatorship. So yes, we probably (hopefully) aren't on the road to becoming Nazi Germany, but God knows what the road is these Tory nutters are taking us down. Complacency is the last thing we need now.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Attachments

• 94D749F2-528B-447D-8657-C030E59D2EA0.jpeg
    94D749F2-528B-447D-8657-C030E59D2EA0.jpeg
    380.3 KB · Views: 60

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
He can say what he likes, but the BBC have never wanted their presenters expressing party political bias.
I am assuming these are the guidelines that are being referred to.

This says:
Screenshot_20230310-192757.png

What Lineker has done is release his own content/opinion, it's not the BBC's.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You can bet in the run-up to the next general election, the Mail, Express, Sun and Telegraph will be warning that the Marxist Left are waiting in the wings to overthrow Starmer after polling day and impose Communism on Britain - they made the same warnings about Blair; "What lies behind the smile?'

As always, the Tories can dish it out, but they cry their eyes out when it's thrown back at them. Like the bully in the school playground, they play the victim card when someone stands-up to them.

He’s heading for a landslide. The Mail/Express/Sun are read by the already converted, as are the Mirror/Guardian/Independent.

The Telegraph is a brilliant paper, loved by many here, I’ve never read their editorials. The difference from the Mail and Mirror is that they don’t publish dog-whistle pieces masquerading as news in trying to influence people to hate Tory or Labour.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Its quite amusing seeing a self identifying class warrior complaining about a culture war MoS!

Not as amusing as you thinking nobody would spot your new username Footy G. Now that was Genius, albeit of the comic variety. 🤭

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
And none of us, black, white, migrants or Jewish, are being beaten to a pulp for expressing views disagreeing with Braverman or Lineker.

The UK’s a good place. I know it’s trendy to hate on our country. Empty kettles make most most noise, a steady minority who paint the picture of an awful country.
Every time people like Braverman, Farage, etc, blame immigrants for our problems, racial attacks increase - as they did immediately after the Brexit result in 2016.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
And none of us, black, white, migrants or Jewish, are being beaten to a pulp for expressing views disagreeing with Braverman or Lineker.

The UK’s a good place. I know it’s trendy to hate on our country. Empty kettles make most most noise, a steady minority who paint the picture of an awful country.
no one was beaten to a pulp, at first

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If you can point to any posts in which you've criticised Andrew Neil for wearing a Adam Smith Institute tie on the BBC, and blatantly pursuing their agenda while on the BBC, your contributions to this thread will have some credence.
FWIW, I agree with your criticism of the association Lineker has made. As a football presenter, I've no problems with him saying as such.

Our media ecosystem is not balanced, decent and, anyone that thinks it is is simply delusional. The BBC has now given up at even trying to stand up to it. Things fall apart ...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Comparing the language used by the government on immigration and asylum seekers to 1930s Germany... I wonder what survivors of the holocaust would think of that? Oh, wait, we know, don't we? It was only a month ago this happened:

When actual survivors of the holocaust can see it, why do any of us feel we know better than them?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Libel if written , but possibly no case to answer!

Lineker has played the hand he wanted to, deliberately referencing 30’s Germany - could anything else possibly get this much traction? We don’t know what’s said behind closed doors and why exactly he’s not on MOTD but this is clearly something he feels very strongly about and not being on MOTD certainly suits his current agenda and extends his news cycle.
bravaman played her hand first, with very deliberate language, she is the problem

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't think anyone's suggesting that we're 5-10 years away from becoming Germany in 1938. What they are saying (including Thunderbolt) is that some of the language about refugees - "swarms" and an "invasion" was similar to what was going on in early 1930s Germany. I'm no history student and don't know how accurate this is. What I do know is that I'm appalled by most of what this government have done in the past few years. I'm also really worried about how the BBC now seems to be controlled by the government (added to our right wing press) and the Tories appear to be trying to turn the country into some sort of dictatorship. So yes, we probably (hopefully) aren't on the road to becoming Nazi Germany, but God knows what the road is these Tory nutters are taking us down. Complacency is the last thing we need now.
In one of my posts I criticised both Braverman and Lineker for rhetoric.

Lineker knows little about 1930’s Germany. Within 6 weeks of taking power in 1933, show trials and immediate executions had taken place, 10,000 political opponents were in the first concentration camps in which they were tortured and murdered, 4 Jews were led outside and murdered.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here