Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Racism? what a load of tosh you talk
That’s what I would label the Tory rhetoric on asylum seekers.
GL is correct. It is the rhetoric of 1930’s Germany.

If the Tory’s aren’t racist and they do mean well, they should have a think about how they’re coming across to the rest of the world. Because it seems pretty bloody racist.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree with Lineker, I think he is an excellent presenter and be careful what you wish for because it is highly unlikely MOTD will be able to find someone with such natural dry humour, self-deprecation, knowledge of the game and respect from his fellow professionals.

However, this is the BBC, we know how this is going to play out.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Nothing against Gary Lineker expressing disapproval of the Government's policy - that's absolutely fair enough - but as we're not, AFAIK, rounding up Jews, black people, brown people, homosexuals, mentally ill patients, communists, etc. and shoving them into gas chambers or forced labour death camps, and we have no plans to invade neighbouring countries (again AFAIK) his remark comparing the Government to Nazi Germany was fatuous.
Well, whatever - he's been doing MOTD for ages, and he is one of, if not the most highly paid person at the BBC, so this seems as good an excuse as any to save a load of money on his wages, and freshen up the programme with an equally convivial and competent - but much less expensive - presenter.

He didn’t compare the government to Nazi Germany.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Regardless of which side of the fence (or channel!) you sit, Lineker clearly puts Beeb in a difficult positions with his constant tweeting and should just shut the duck up. It’s not necessary to share his views on Twitter (unless you’ve a massive ego). We can get by thank you without Gary! Could never see Barry Davies, Jimmy Hill, Motty and Sir Des ever feeling the need to do daily.

This narcissist world of celebrity we live in now is over sharing in the extreme. Be quiet! Zip!! Put a sock in it!!! Check your ego’s, from A list through to Z. We don’t really care 99% of time.
'Lineker clearly puts Beeb in a difficult positions' Why? How? What difference does it make to the BBC what his (or anyone's) opinion is about anything?
'It’s not necessary to share his views on Twitter' You know that's what Twitter's for, right? If there were no opinions on there, it wouldn't exist.

And if 'we' don't care 99% of the time, why are so many people – within the BBC and outside of it – frothing at the gash after he's dared to voice his opinion?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Any comparison to 1930s Germany by a celebrity or their followers is complete hyperbole and displays such ignorance it’s actually grossly insulting and highly offence really. Had Gary used the word Nazi, which he has in all but name, he’d have been dismissed. His ego is now preventing him from simply apologising, and stepping back from the fire. But then Braverman doesn’t either and she’s always exaggerating similarly so both bad as each other really.
The rhetoric of the “other”, of an “invasion” or “swarm” is exactly what happened in the early 30s in Germany. It didn’t start with gas chambers and genocide. It started with propaganda and fear mongering. I’m in no way saying that history will repeat itself, but when you have Holocaust survivors calling out Braverman for her use of language, language moreover that has sparked riots and attacks on hotels where asylum seekers are being housed, maybe it’s not hyperbole after all…

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Do you know the really scary thing

The replies on this thread........

Scary scary times - David Attenborough's final episode on UK Wildlife pulled today because it dares to question what successive governments (Tory obviously) have failed to do in protecting our country's wildlife heritage)
And Lineker questioning the language used to demonise refugees, silenced by a right wing backlash.

Scary scary times, really.

Just off to practise my goosestepping........ we all might need to do it one day.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Any comparison to 1930s Germany by a celebrity or their followers is complete hyperbole and displays such ignorance it’s actually grossly insulting and highly offence really. Had Gary used the word Nazi, which he has in all but name, he’d have been dismissed. His ego is now preventing him from simply apologising, and stepping back from the fire. But then Braverman doesn’t either and she’s always exaggerating similarly so both bad as each other really.
Yes funny isn't it - Braveman not being asked to step back as well, I mean

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The rhetoric of the “other”, of an “invasion” or “swarm” is exactly what happened in the early 30s in Germany. It didn’t start with gas chambers and genocide. It started with propaganda and fear mongering. I’m in no way saying that history will repeat itself, but when you have Holocaust survivors calling out Braverman for her use of language, language moreover that has sparked riots and attacks on hotels where asylum seekers are being housed, maybe it’s not hyperbole after all…
Well put.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
But haven't you proved Lineker's point? His tweet said that the likes of Braverman were "using language not dissimilar to that of 1930s Germany". As you point out, their rhetoric is deliberately xenophobic and designed to try to get the people of Britain blaming illegal immigrants for the ills of the UK.

The majority of those seeking asylum are granted asylum.

I'd argue that had Sunak visited the French and agreed the process by which we can fast track asylum applications by opening an immigration centre in northern France (something which people have been calling for), and then returned to announce a policy that did not include the illegal detention of people without recourse to legal assistance (not dissimilar to autocratic regimes), then the whole process could have been debated more meaningfully.

Instead, Sunak was reduced to shouting at Starmer and calling him "another lefty lawyer standing in our way." The same rhetoric that contributed towards the death of Jo Cox.

In my view, this government are poison and should be called out.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
They said it couldn’t happen here.

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
I'm not that bothered about old jug ears spouting off on twitter but I'm pretty sure if he was expressing any political opinions supporting the current government/brexit/right of centre views many of his supporters on here and across social media would soon melt away, some might even call for him to go ... 😉

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I agree with Lineker, I think he is an excellent presenter and be careful what you wish for because it is highly unlikely MOTD will be able to find someone with such natural dry humour, self-deprecation, knowledge of the game and respect from his fellow professionals.

However, this is the BBC, we know how this is going to play out.
Totally agree, you’d think they’d learn from past mistakes, Top Gear has never been the same.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well at least he’s got the full support of his brother….

You do know that Gary has housed refugees at his home, which is why his brother can joke about it?
He isn't all talk and no action.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here