[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not at all, BBC presenters should be impartial.

The mere fact that Linekar references 1930s Germany and the government in the same tweet is enough.
He is impartial...

...when presenting on the BBC.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
437B9C7A-121B-47AE-A86C-1565D9FCE04F.png

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It didn't start with rounding up those groups of people. It started with language dehumanising them, slowly step by step, until the public didn't care about those people. It took over seven years to accomplish before the death camps started.
The bill that Sunak is trying to introduce is the next step. Imprisonment without trial.

Please. Do you truly believe in your heart that the UK is on the road to non-Anglo Saxons facing murder or mass murder for not being Anglo-Saxon?

The outpouring of empathy with Lineker shows a kind nation. The last EU mass survey of black people across the entire continent including the UK, showed us to be the least racist country in Europe. Not the lazy musings of white Europeans guessing stuff, instead the experiences of black people. For every Chelsea supporting racist oaf, migrants we meet in our lives here are appreciated by the vast majority of Brits.

If you really think this is the Fourth Reich, how come we’re free to talk about it, how come Labour are just 21 months away from forming a government?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Then you’re being deliberately obtuse.

What is the context of the tweet?
Rhetoric like calling boat people illegal immigrants when they are not illegal.
If they are already illegal, why is the new bill being prepared to make them illegal?
Calling them illegal in Parliament, in news broadcasts, in the press etc winds up the racists. You get scenes like the man petrol bombing the Dover base, setting fire to a police wagon in Knowsley, and the fracas in Rotherham outside the hotel. The Home Secretary saying billions trying to get here when it is tens of thousands. All designed to induce fear and anger.

Language is very important and the language being used stirs up hatred, This is what Gary said.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Everyone can have an opinion it’s the expressing of it ithat is the issue, in this instance.
Yeah he expressed them through his personal channel. Should he not be allowed to express opinions and thoughts through his own personal channels just because he is employed by the BBC?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Forget the Mr nice guy routine that Lineker hides behind. He’s a **** in real life.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Please. Do you truly believe in your heart that the UK is on the road to non-Anglo Saxons facing murder or mass murder for not being Anglo-Saxon?

The outpouring of empathy with Lineker shows a kind nation. The last EU mass survey of black people across the entire continent including the UK, showed us to be the least racist country in Europe. Not the lazy musings of white Europeans guessing stuff, instead the experiences of black people. For every Chelsea supporting racist oaf, migrants we meet in our lives here are appreciated by the vast majority of Brits.

If you really think this is the Fourth Reich, how come we’re free to talk about it, how come Labour are just 21 months away from forming a government?
No, I don't believe that which is a good thing because I am not 100% Anglo Saxon.
I don't believe this is the Fourth Reich.

I am puzzled as to why you have exaggerated my beliefs to mock me, when I point out that there are methods being used which were used in the beginnings of a fascist state. Warnings of problems ahead, which can still be avoided before there is a point of no return.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yeah he expressed them through his personal channel. Should he not be allowed to express opinions and thoughts through his own personal channels just because he is employed by the BBC?
Well, yes, if you work for an impartial organisation and you’re not supposed to.

I have to be careful for the same reason…… obviously nobody cares what I say generally though….. 😔

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He is impartial...

...when presenting on the BBC.
This.

Hats off to Ian Wright Wright Wright for refusing to appear on MOTD this weekend.

Shearer now has done the same!

Stand by for MOTD presented by Jeremy Clarkson, with punditry from Luke McCormick, Adam Johnson and Leon Knight

:facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports