Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
pretty peculiar of BBC to go to war on this issue, not reading the room and seeing where it obviously goes (he'll be reinstated after being "spoken to about future conduct").

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Appears that many who are positive about this decision are struggling to find any sort of argument to back up their opinions and settle with a simple "Good".
Not at all, BBC presenters should be impartial.

The mere fact that Linekar references 1930s Germany and the government in the same tweet is enough.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It’s certainly me out. Sky 30 min highlights are better anyway
Eurosport used to have a show called Eurogoals where they showed all the goals from some European top leagues (not the PL as they couldn't afford the rights) with no pundits and stuff, just a commentator. The lack of waffling middle-aged men certainly didn't feel like a problem.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Meanwhile….

47722836-30AE-46E7-823A-22A93B0B799A.jpeg

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He was happy to sign a contract making him the highest paid presenter at the BBC but unhappy with the terms and conditions. Tough really. It would be good if the BBC could get rid of Lineker, Shearer and Wright and just show more highlights. They aren’t a patch on Carragher, Carney and Neville anyway.
Carney was awful after our Stoke game, horrific in truth.

She stated that we just need to find a No.9 goal scorer type to solve all of our goalscoring problems. Even Ferguson (who keeps former England No.9 Danny Welbeck out the team) would be punching the screen if he saw that analysis.

She know absolutely nothing about how we’ve scored goals this season, I think we’re 4th in the EPL for goals scored. Lazy out of date statements with no research, but I’ve seen Shearer and Wrighty nail our analysis many times.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

The mere fact that Linekar references 1930s Germany and the government in the same tweet is enough.
I agree that BBC presenters (and other staff) need to be impartial in their work for the BBC. Independence from government is a core tenet of the BBC Charter. But this doesn't mean that presenters such as GL need to be impartial in other aspects of their life that have 0% to do with the BBC or the programme that they present. What Lineker said had absolutely no reason to call into question the impartiality of the BBC. Anyone who read his tweet and thought that he was expressing the views of the BBC needs their head examined. But - ironically - the fact that the BBC has clearly bowed to pressure from the government is further evidence that we are moving in a very worrying direction. We're not 1930s Germany yet. But the BBC has, perhaps unwittingly, taken us a tiny step closer.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Where are they going to find these impartial presenters?
"The war in Ukraine... it is what it is. May the best uns win".
"15 000 Covid deaths today. I remain neutral in whether this is a good or a bad thing but we can all agree to take the positives. Or the negatives, depending on what your personal outlook is. I'm not going to take sides here u know. Some of them may have wanted to live, some may have wanted to die."
"So I heard someone shot fifty twelve kiddos in a school in Wales today. My condoleances... oh shit, I'm siding with the kids and the parents now... Anyone got a new job for me?"

It is utterly IMPOSSIBLE to find impartial people unless they can only recruit insanely sick human beings without any emotions or opinions. EVERYONE is partial.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
From the BBC - "compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s". Splitting hairs really.:shrug:
No, it isn't splitting hairs, It is deliberately exaggerating to make it into a witch hunt.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

It’s even more powerful when someone who is “not supposed” to, speaks out against tyranny.

Impartiality has no place in the face of racism, totalitarianism and the deliberate bypassing of human rights.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
This has got Jermaine jenas written all over it. Or maybe sol Campbell or John Barnes. Aren’t they tories? Maybe Lineker should have organised a loan for prime minister and for the top job instead.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I'm not that bothered about old jug ears spouting off on twitter but I'm pretty sure if he was expressing any political opinions supporting the current government/brexit/right of centre views many of his supporters on here and across social media would soon melt away, some might even call for him to go ... 😉
no one is going to support this government, though. even they know that they're wrong 'uns, and that their gravy train is soon to hit the buffers

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

There is no mention of the government in his tweet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here