Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Hart - do you agree?

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
There always seems to be a lot of pant-pissing about who should and shouldn't be on the "legends" wall.
I really couldn't give a flying f*ck.

agreed they should take it down then the problem dissappears. I mean really who actually cares.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Dick Knight always made sure he did, which isn't a bad thing.

Watson, Rodgers etc all got jobs after playing.

Its unfair on these guys though to suggest that's the only reason they have their roles, though. Dodge seemingly does a good job, and Watson didn't just get handed a bucket and a magic sponge - he's gone and qualified off his own back.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
The only think Rogers contributes now is being a link between the old Withdean corporates and the 1901 mob - most of which have cleared off anyway. I don't necessarily think Hart should be up there either, but let's face it he was more popular.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Fairly sure there is a very large photo of him on the wall on one of the 1901 landings. I know there is a Reinelt one and despite walking past it four times every game for over 3 years, I am only fairly sure the other one is him. Anyone else in 1901 West - south entrance care to refresh my memory? I can remember random trivia from 30 years ago but not more recent stuff like this.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The only think Rogers contributes now is being a link between the old Withdean corporates and the 1901 mob - most of which have cleared off anyway. I don't necessarily think Hart should be up there either, but let's face it he was more popular.

and, of course, Rogers being one of the few human beings (as opposed to corporate robots) left in any managerial capacity within the club.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
https://twitter.com/garyhart9/status/519618010395324416

Disappointing and disheartening to see an Albion legend feeling this way. Still to this date one of my all time favourites.

Does he have a point?

He is right in that the club has changed since the move to the Amex, but in fairness l think that was always going to happen, we now have average gates well in advance of 20,000, as opposed to less than half of that during the Withdean years. It was always inevitable in my opinion that, to some extent at least, the club was going to move 'away' from it's fanbase. There are also relatively few club employees left who were there before the move.

But no, I'm afraid l don't think Gary is worth a place on the wall. As much as l admire him, and respect him for his long service to the club, and loyalty to the cause, l'm afraid he wasn't much more than just an honest grafting centre forward, and there have been many, many, of them during Albion's existence.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
As above, no the wall is not about who is "best". It's not about your criteria either. But let's pretend it is. Name the 10 best liked/loved/admired Albion players and staff over since 1901. Are you sure Gary Hart will rank within that top 10?
would depend who you asked, surely? Would do for me :) but I'm quite ready to accept, as with so many opinions, that he wouldn't be for others.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Should he?

Firstly it's not a "legends wall" but even if it were, is he really amongst the top 10-12 players this club has ever had?
What is it then? (I asked this question on the other thread and the person I asked couldn't answer it. I am intrigued though as no one seems to know what it is; it's as if it just sort of appeared on its own).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He would be in my eyes. To be honest, he represents the Withdean era to me more than any other player - including Kerry Mayo

Really?

I don't think he'd be near my top five, of players who I immediately think of, when remebering that era.

Kuipers, Cox, Zamora, Murray, Bennett, Cullip all come to mind far quicker, imo.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Totally agree with Gary Hart. the club's attitude and behaviour has changed massively and not only does 'it' not remember the dark days, I get the impression that 'it' is embarrassed by them. I've never been prouder to be a Brighton fan than when the like's of Gary Hart were banging them in. We over achieved massively and refused to lie down and die. No other club has been through such turmoil and thrived (relatively). Whilst much of that was due to Tony Bloom plugging the holes to enable continued survival I still feel that today's club, with a significant number of uncaring and arrogant fools in places of authority, is a lesser entity to me. It's a real shame and is unnecessary.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
He is right in that the club has changed since the move to the Amex, but in fairness l think that was always going to happen, we now have average gates well in advance of 20,000, as opposed to less than half of that during the Withdean years. It was always inevitable in my opinion that, to some extent at least, the club was going to move 'away' from it's fanbase. There are also relatively few club employees left who were there before the move.

But no, I'm afraid l don't think Gary is worth a place on the wall. As much as l admire him, and respect him for his long service to the club, and loyalty to the cause, l'm afraid he wasn't much more than just an honest grafting centre forward, and there have been many, many, of them during Albion's existence.

I agree with most of that but it is still disappointing that for a club such as ours, with the recent history we have, just to let that move away from it's fanbase happen. Museums and montages on the screen are one thing, actually buying into that culture another. In terms of the legends wall Gary deserves to be there far more than Leon Knight, that's for sure. And wasn't his graft representative of the club as a whole back then? He'd certainly get my vote; those expressing opinions based on ability rather than character are more representative of the current club than that which went before it seems.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There are plenty of fans who don't need a flag, banner or photo to remind them that Hart is, and always will be, an Albion legend.

Apart from anything else, the fact he was signed for £1,000 and a bag of kit makes him arguably the best value for money signing this club has ever made, thus cementing his place in folklore.

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I presume that as a mate of Kerry Mayo, he's been regaled at length with one side of the story about why Mayo was let go from his lounge host role. This might colour Gary's judgement on all things new Albion.

Yes, it could well just be sour grapes...erm, from a really nice guy who's never previously appeared to have a bitter bone in his body towards anyone. Or he could just be plain right and have a good point that he's perfectly entitled to make. One of the two.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes, it could well just be sour grapes...erm, from a really nice guy who's never previously appeared to have a bitter bone in his body towards anyone. Or he could just be plain right and have a good point that he's perfectly entitled to make. One of the two.

I don't really think its sour grapes at all tbh. As others have said, Hart hasn't had a random pop - he's only answering a fan's question pit directly to him - as he's perfectly entitled to do.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
and not only does 'it' not remember the dark days, I get the impression that 'it' is embarrassed by them. .

Utter nonsense, imo.

Go anywhere behind the scenes in the stadium, and the place is covered floor to ceiling with images of honest triers like Gary Hart plying their trade at Withdean. The pre-match video shows the York pitch invasion, the celebrations at Hereford, the fans' march at Mellor. The club's head of communications is a Goldstone era fanzine writer. You're miles wide of the mark with that suggestion, for me.

I've never been prouder to be a Brighton fan than when the like's of Gary Hart were banging them in.

I agree that it was a VERY proud time to support the club - strength in adversity, and all that - but you're stretching it a bit with the last part... :jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here