Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Hart - do you agree?

Stumpy Tim

He was a forklift truck driver before he joined us at 21 and then spent the next decade as a footballer, what do you expect? He's not had the education you've had, and frankly doesn't need it anymore. There's better things to judge people on, everyone I know that met Harty during his time here said he was a top bloke.
You're right of course, though I don't think I made any judgements about him. He is a lovely guy, I've also met him numerous times

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He was asked a question and gave an honest answer ... it's not as if he's exploding with vitriol, is it?

Gary Hart was a great pro who made the most of his talents and off the field he seemed like a good bloke too. Does he deserve a flag behind the West Stand for that? For example, do we remember his performances with more awe than those of Vicente?

I used to really like Ian Culverhouse. The least the club can do is name a burger after him. Etc etc etc.

I don't think anyone should be criticising OGH for what he replied, it's his right to have that opinion. The criticism should be at the individual who sends an email to the club and believes he is hard done by because (possibly) his favourite player isn't on the one of the banners outside the west stand!

Going back to the OP, yes he does have a point. The club has changed since it played at a ramshackle athletics track for 10 years and thank god it has. Those 10 years, albeit important, were less than 10% of the clubs history.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It probably grates that Paul bloody Rogers is on the wall, employed by the club and having his posted in the programme like he's some sort of idol to many. Bizarre

Rogers is employed by the club to do a job, which from what I hear he's pretty good at. Is that a problem?

What about Kuipers, Butters and Cullip all working for the AITC. Do you think that 'grates' too?

Hart himself got the ultimate 'jobs for the boys' role, when the club gave him an extra year as a player, despite it being patently obvious to the entire world that he would never get a game.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Well, seeing how the (it's not a) 'legends wall' is hugely over represented with players from Hart's era, he's clearly wrong to feel that his omission is for the reasons he'd like to think.

Is he not included in the glass mural in Dick's anyway?

I presume that as a mate of Kerry Mayo, he's been regaled at length with one side of the story about why Mayo was let go from his lounge host role. This might colour Gary's judgement on all things new Albion.

What are the two side sides to this?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Should he?

Firstly it's not a "legends wall" but even if it were, is he really amongst the top 10-12 players this club has ever had?

Is the wall about who was best? I thought it was more of best liked/loved/admired.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What are the two side sides to this?

Just that Mayo's version (at the time) was that he was terribly hard done by, and that it was all because the club 'didn't care anymore', when actually they had to get rid because he was hugely unprofessional.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Is the wall about who was best? I thought it was more of best liked/loved/admired.

As above, no the wall is not about who is "best". It's not about your criteria either. But let's pretend it is. Name the 10 best liked/loved/admired Albion players and staff over since 1901. Are you sure Gary Hart will rank within that top 10?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Was the captain of two title winning sides, I would imagine he deserves a place on the wall.

Whereas my lasting memory of Gary Hart is of a whole-hearted trier, who ran his heart out but never looked like scoring for the last three years.

Like an angry Craig Mackail-Smith.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Rogers is employed by the club to do a job, which from what I hear he's pretty good at. Is that a problem?

What about Kuipers, Butters and Cullip all working for the AITC. Do you think that 'grates' too?

Hart himself got the ultimate 'jobs for the boys' role, when the club gave him an extra year as a player, despite it being patently obvious to the entire world that he would never get a game.

I'm not saying that OGH isn't influenced by his mate, but he only left AITC himself this year when he moved back to Essex.

It is not a legends wall, or best loved player, but iconic times in the history of the club. As much as I dislike Leon Knight, he did score the penalty at Cardiff to win the playoffs. Maybe Danny Cullip holding the dented play off trophy would be a better banner?

We need a monument/ statue to mark and celebrate the fight to get our club back,it should include a tribute to our fans,protest organizers,dick knight and fans united,plenty of room between station and stadium. Would remind future generations how important the fans where and would be a great focal point outside the stadium.Might be a reminder we are more than customers!
The fans the real legends????

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
People will never agree about who should be depicted on a 'legends wall' for a club that's existed for 113 years, especially when there are only a dozen or so places. Inevitably, individuals will want to honour players from their own formative years, meaning that recent players will get the lions' share.

Instead of getting steamed up about who should be up there, far better to reflect how few other clubs' stadia feature such innovative and imaginative art. Just like having video screens that display teams, changes, scorers and bookings right through the game, that wall of hanging banners is something else that makes the Amex uniquely the Amex.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm not saying that OGH isn't influenced by his mate, but he only left AITC himself this year when he moved back to Essex.

Well quite - Gary Hart has always been royally looked after by this football club, in both the Withdean and the Amex eras. From keeping him on as a player for about three years after he stopped contributing anything (bar five games at the end of the Great Escape), bringing him back for a pointless extra year after he'd been released once, letting him play the opening game at the Amex after he'd left, then giving him a job with AITC.

Whatever changes the club has undergone, they always continued to look after their own.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Well quite - Gary Hart has always been royally looked after by this football club, in both the Withdean and the Amex eras. From keeping him on as a player for about three years after he stopped contributing anything (bar five games at the end of the Great Escape), bringing him back for a pointless extra year after he'd been released once, letting him play the opening game at the Amex after he'd left, then giving him a job with AITC.

Whatever changes the club has undergone, they always continued to look after their own.

Dick Knight always made sure he did, which isn't a bad thing.

Watson, Rodgers etc all got jobs after playing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here