Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Barlow OBE !!!!!!!!!

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I thought you had to do something worthwhile to get these little badges!

article-0-162576F5000005DC-509_634x584.jpg

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Does some high-profile work for the right charities, hence bags a gong.

wadhurstseagull

Jul 26, 2003
Surely it's for services to Coronation Street? He's been in it a long time.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
The thing I don't really get, is that there are soooooo many people who work their nuts off for charity when they haven't got a pot to piss in. Not to belittle the work which Gary Barlow has done (which has been admirable) - but I'd love to see not one single celebrity on that list for a change and the awards given to ordinary people for a change.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
The thing I don't really get, is that there are soooooo many people who work their nuts off for charity when they haven't got a pot to piss in. Not to belittle the work which Gary Barlow has done (which has been admirable) - but I'd love to see not one single celebrity on that list for a change and the awards given to ordinary people for a change.

Agreed. Its so easy to raise money when you are a 'celeb' for a worthwhile cause. The honours list should be scrapped in my opinion. I would like to think 'ordinary' people raise money without one eye on a possible honour at the end of it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Have you seen the list? There are thousands of so-called unknowns on there, many of whom have done loads for their community.

The problem is that because they are not celebrities, very few people would have heard of them.

I, too, had this coversation about GB back in Jun when it was announced, and celebs are in the minority...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He may raise money for charities, but at the same time he's avoiding tax and screwing our country over.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Have you seen the list? There are thousands of so-called unknowns on there, many of whom have done loads for their community.

The problem is that because they are not celebrities, very few people would have heard of them.

I, too, had this coversation about GB back in Jun when it was announced, and celebs are in the minority...

This. Appears some people spout off without doing any actual research. As you say, the celebs are in the minority but it's unlikley that the daily papers or national news are going to show pictures of people that are unknown. My wife's father was awarded an OBE and he wasn't famous.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
PHP:
This. Appears some people spout off without doing any actual research. As you say, the celebs are in the minority but it's unlikley that the daily papers or national news are going to show pictures of people that are unknown. My wife's father was awarded an OBE and he wasn't famous.

The problem lies with the media and their obsension with the celebrity culture, if they were to ignore the celebs and report on the non-celeb recipients people would be more acceptant. That said I do feel too many celebs recieve these awards and they should be vastly cut back.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

I have seen it and I understand what you're saying, most of the time you've only ever heard of one or two on the entire list of people. It's the MBEs that seem to go to the normal folk. But OBE's seem to be reserved for the professors, doctors, business leaders and oddly, certain celebrities.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Hasn't he been rewarded enough for his meagre talents? So he writes fairly bland, uninspired pop gubbins? Isn't he involved in one of those tax schemes where he hardly paysd a f***ing penny back into this country but a charity single and flashing his chubby grin around the Paralympics and he gets another reward? I weep for the future.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Hasn't he been rewarded enough for his meagre talents? So he writes fairly bland, uninspired pop gubbins? Isn't he involved in one of those tax schemes where he hardly paysd a f***ing penny back into this country but a charity single and flashing his chubby grin around the Paralympics and he gets another reward? I weep for the future.

It'll be Robbie Williams turn next time. He should have received an OBE for Rudebox by now in my humble opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here