Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gareth Southgate - The only candidate being interviewed. Stroll on!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don't understand the FA's determination to "go English". Surely you go after the best person for the job?

There's nothing on Southgate's CV to suggest he is the best man for the job.

I have nothing against the man, this is just pure common sense.

The correct thing to do would be to speak to Wenger's team and see if he wants the job at the end of this season with Southgate as caretaker until them. They don't owe Southgate anything - if he does OK then he'll get a decent club job out of it that he'd otherwise have had no chance of getting.

Having Wenger at the helm makes England a very different animal indeed. England's problem is a fragile mentality at tournaments - bottom line is I can see a repeat of Iceland under Southgate but not under Wenger.

Doubt Wenger would take a massive pay cut. Southgate will do the job for loads less.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Comparing Wenger to Southgate is like comparing a Rolls Royce to a Skoda. If nothing else Wenger's Arsenal teaoms have always played attractive passing football and he is someone the players would respect. Wenger is also a very loyal manager and that suits international management.

His contract with Arsenal is up at the end of the season and you wonder whether he'd fancy a crack at international management.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Spot on. I completely agree.To be fair who else is there that it could be? There's not exactly a list of expirenced decent english coaches out there. I can only name about 4 in our top flight! The fa have said (wrongly in my view) that they wont go foriegn. Little option.

There's not exactly a list of decent English players out there, either!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
My suggested first interview question - " why the hell do you keep picking Raheem Sterling ?"

GS...." RS is the most exciting English player in our game. When he runs at people, he causes them problems. He gives us different options. He can open up the opposition "
Interviewer...." but thats all he does, run at people. Invariably, he either runs into them or loses control of the ball. Sometimes, more by chance than design, he finds himself in space. Thats where the problem starts, he can't cross the ball to anyone. He can't head the ball and has no idea where or how to score a goal."
GS....." I disagree. On his day he is world class "
Interviewer...." oh, I remember....Feb 16th 2013 v Stoke....that 20 minute spell.....ah....yes....I remember now "
GS....." I really think we should move on "
Interviewer...." not until you have assured us that £50m worth of nothing, that flatters to deceive and spends most of the game looking wistfully up into the sky and waddling around like a duck, is not going to feature in your future plans "
GS....." I intend to keep pickling him. He is the future "
Interviewer......" In the absence of any further questions, I think its fair to say that we can wrap this up now. We all agree you are ideal for the job and you will be hearing from us in due course "
GS...." Thank you. I look forward to my new role. "
Interviewer...." Oh Gareth, one final thing. Is it true that Raheem has four children from four different women? "

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Why did they even bother interviewing Ralf Rangnick last time around if they only want an Englishman? He must be thinking what the **** are they playing at

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here