Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gareth Southgate - The only candidate being interviewed. Stroll on!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
If the FA are only going to interview Southgate, why did they need to build a selection panel which got Howard Wilkinson, Le Saux and others. i would have thought that with a panel at least two other possible options would have been interviewed.
At the very least this would have given the FA a greater insight into possible replacements for Southgate in the future.

Surely having Howard Wilkinson on a panel selecting the England manager is the underlying issue here?

When was the last time he managed?

Let's get David Pleat to help him shall we?

We are so out of touch in this country.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
What are they going to ask him that they don't know already? He has been the U21 manager for ages (which I assume he had an interview to get), and been interim manager for 4 games. Just give him the bloody job and let him get on with it.

Exactly this!

Unless it's just a figure of speech being used, why would they actually interview him for the job?

Have they really not seen enough?, or is it just an excuse for another jolly up and that feeling of importance that the suits enjoy so much?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Exactly this!

Unless it's just a figure of speech being used, why would they actually interview him for the job?

Have they really not seen enough?, or is it just an excuse for another jolly up and that feeling of importance that the suits enjoy so much?

The latter. They want to don their blazers and have a series of meetings about it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Surely having Howard Wilkinson on a panel selecting the England manager is the underlying issue here?

Apart from the England job and a short spell with Sunderland, when he was the last English manager to win the league championship, I guess.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Exactly this!

"Which part of relegating Middlesbrough are you most proud of?"

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Let's get David Pleat to help him shall we?

We are so out of touch in this country.

In fact Howard Wilkinson is a million miles away from the dinosaur he's often perceived to be. Very open minded and innovative as a manager/coach apparently. Not saying it always worked out for him, but a closed minded traditionalist he certainly ain't.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Just putting this out there, and may be completely naive, but why should a successful club manager be an almost necessary prerequisite for the England manager's job? After all, the national squad's games are either friendlies or tournaments, very different from league football, surely?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Just putting this out there, and may be completely naive, but why should a successful club manager be an almost necessary prerequisite for the England manager's job? After all, the national squad's games are either friendlies or tournaments, very different from league football, surely?

My view (maybe completely wrong) is that is massively beneficial if you have managed in Europe due to the style of football

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The fa certainly know how to give England the best possible chance of World Cup glory......

The most important thing to them seems to be brand England. The FA is an expensive operation to run and they need to maximise revenue. Qualifying for tournaments is the pre-requisite, as this gets the fans on board with tickets and merchandise and to some extent stimulates the armchair public into spending money.
Progress to the later stages of tournaments is fine. They pretty much max out on revenue then, Winning is not the be all and end all. They rely on the fans having short memories. A few months after abject failure, Wembley is near full again for qualifiers.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
My view (maybe completely wrong) is that is massively beneficial if you have managed in Europe due to the style of football

In which case we have no chance of ever hiring an English manager again, none of them get the best jobs in the premier league, and very few manage abroad. We sacked the last one with European experience because he had a rubbish tournament and got beat by Iceland.....

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't understand the FA's determination to "go English". Surely you go after the best person for the job?

There's nothing on Southgate's CV to suggest he is the best man for the job.

I have nothing against the man, this is just pure common sense.

The correct thing to do would be to speak to Wenger's team and see if he wants the job at the end of this season with Southgate as caretaker until them. They don't owe Southgate anything - if he does OK then he'll get a decent club job out of it that he'd otherwise have had no chance of getting.

Having Wenger at the helm makes England a very different animal indeed. England's problem is a fragile mentality at tournaments - bottom line is I can see a repeat of Iceland under Southgate but not under Wenger.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I don't understand the FA's determination to "go English". Surely you go after the best person for the job?

There's nothing on Southgate's CV to suggest he is the best man for the job.

I have nothing against the man, this is just pure common sense.

The correct thing to do would be to speak to Wenger's team and see if he wants the job at the end of this season with Southgate as caretaker until them. They don't owe Southgate anything - if he does OK then he'll get a decent club job out of it that he'd otherwise have had no chance of getting.

Having Wenger at the helm makes England a very different animal indeed. England's problem is a fragile mentality at tournaments - bottom line is I can see a repeat of Iceland under Southgate but not under Wenger.

And you think Wenger can cure a fragile mentality??? I'm not so sure he can.

Besides which, I'd be amazed if Wenger would ever take the England job. If he was going to go into International management then surely he could easily have the France job at some point (not sure how long Deschamps has on his current contract). And have you seen that French squad lately :eek: It's a no brainer as to which to choose.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Yeh, because Wenger's Arsenal definitely do not have a habit of falling apart the moment the season gets serious... :lolol:

Wenger is tactically clueless, he plays the same way everytime no matter what. See his record of never beating Mourinho. England under Wenger would be no different (results wise) to England under Hodgson. First team set up properly in defence beats England, same as it always is, bar v Germany 2010.

England's weaknesses are all the same as Wenger's, defensive organisation, tactical awareness and flexibility.

It is all academic though, England do not have the players and will never have the players until youth coaching is sorted out in this country. All the rest is window dressing.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Shouldn't they interview Paul Ince, just to tick an equal opportunities box?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Anyone listen to the football ramble? Their description of Southgate was that he looks like your Dad´s younger mate who has come around the house to talk about his impending marriage breakup, Made me LOL.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The only way Gareth would not get the job.

'Morning Gareth'
'Jesus Howard, I'm gasping. You got a pint of wine handy?
'No problem Gareth. Just an informal interview, we just want to make sure you fit the bill after the Sam debacle, 3rd party ownership and all that'
'Piece of piss getting round them, if you need to know anything nudge, nudge'
'That wasn't what I meant Gareth. After Glenn, just wanted a quick conversation about your religious beliefs'
'Ha. No worries there Howard. I don't believe spazzes did anything wrong in a previous life'
'OK thanks Gareth'
'Nah worry yourself Howard'

Last edited:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
English FA thinking,Southgate gets the post and is given a deal up to Euro 2020 however unsprisingly as we all know England fail to get out of the group in the 2018 W/Cup and Southgate waits for his pay-off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here