Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh that expensive twig I planted a year ago as the 'statement' shrub, which proceeded to ever so slowly die, now looks positively resplendent.
Well at least the dozen or so maroon leaves do anyway.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Has anyone here had success tackling Box Tree Caterpillars with this type of trap?
https://www.dragonfli.co.uk/products/box-tree-caterpillar-moth-pheromone-trap

I recall discussions here in the past, @WATFORD zero was an expert.

I have used a couple of those traps every season for the last few years together with a couple of blasts of Provanto Ultimate Bug killer at the first sign. Don't like using it, but it seems to work and I have a good few metres of Box hedging and a couple of large variegated bushes. I'm guessing they are giving up on my garden and coming over to yours :wink:

However, I use this one as each lure lasts a full season (most only last 6 weeks).

https://www.greengardener.co.uk/product/box-tree-moth-buxus-trap-lure/

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Oh that expensive twig I planted a year ago as the 'statement' shrub, which proceeded to ever so slowly die, now looks positively resplendent.
Well at least the dozen or so maroon leaves do anyway.
Come on Stat. Get your camera out!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Come on Stat. Get your camera out!
IMG_20230515_174842_133.jpg
IMG_20230515_174909_098.jpg

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Attachments

• 20230514_200335.jpg
    20230514_200335.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 25

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is that an Acer bloodgood? I have one and it's quite vigorous once established.

This one was planted in late winter and has put on lots of new growth. Loves morning sun and afternoon shade.
I can't remember which Acer it is.
As said it was just a twig 12 months ago, did precisely nothing and now 'suddenly' it looks like it might want to stick around.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Is that an Acer bloodgood? I have one and it's quite vigorous once established.

This one was planted in late winter and has put on lots of new growth. Loves morning sun and afternoon shade.
My money is on Acer bloodgood. You know your palmatums!

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I can't remember which Acer it is.
As said it was just a twig 12 months ago, did precisely nothing and now 'suddenly' it looks like it might want to stick around.
I think it is. If you look after it you'll be rewarded with incredible autumn colour. they're more sun tollerant than most Acers but need moisture retentive soil. Might benefit from some composted bark mulch, the worms will work it in to the soil.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
My money is on Acer bloodgood. You know your palmatums!
I bought one about 10 years ago for a pot and now have 11 dotted around the garden planted in thr ground! I've become a bit obsessed.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Does anyone else have problems getting vegetable seeds to germinate?

Is it the weather - too cold (until recently), and too dry?

The seeds?

The soil?

Me?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Does anyone else have problems getting vegetable seeds to germinate?

Is it the weather - too cold (until recently), and too dry?

The seeds?

The soil?

Me?
It's been a really slow year, due to cold Spring.

I've just been away for two weeks on holiday. Left the veg garden at work in the hands of others, came back to see they'd not planted much out at all. Even Sweetcorn, Cues, Courgetttes, Squashes etc had barely put on any root in their small pots in the polytunnel, so still not really fully ready to plant out. And Sweet Pepper seed germination has been crap. That'll be because the temp hasn't been consistently 20 degrees, even in the polytunnels.

On the other hand, Broad Beans, sown direct in the ground in April are romping away. But that's Broad Beans for you....Proper doers! :thumbsup:

Don't worry though, things soon catch up eventually.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Love an acer... i have 4 in my garden... in autumn they are just lovely...

turn that soil over though and give it a water ;)
The garden gets watered every night and has done for a couple of weeks.

Lazarus is in the mentals corner where everything is growing hourly.
I assume that's because it was where a big summerhouse once stood and the soil is getting 'life' for the first time in x years.

A couple of years ago a mate dug over a little corner of his predominantly bricked driveway.
I noted he'd finally done it as I walked home.
So I returned with a handful of poppy seeds - chucked them on.

I've since moved but called in to see them yesterday to be greeted by a mass of 6ft triffid poppies - noice.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Last autumn I worked on the verge outside including seeding chalk land meadow mixes. Chuffed with the results.

After a few years of no-mow, the twats at BHCC then resumed mowing this year, an oaf on a sit down mower scalping every verge to near soil level. I had to pit in a few bits of timber batten to prevent future cuts ruining the mini meadow.

IMG_0505.jpeg

Last edited:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Last autumn I worked on the verge outside including seeding chalk land meadow mixes. Chuffed with the results.

After a few years of no-mow, the twats at BHCC then resumed mowing this year, an oaf on a sit down mower scalping every verge to near soil level. I had to pit in a few bits of timber batten to prevent future cuts ruining the mini meadow.

View attachment 161720
That's excellent!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

View attachment 161720
This is stunning! Now, if we see this verge in Brighton, we know where you live lol!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

View attachment 161720
Looks marvellous ! Well done !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here