Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I want to plant something all around the edge of the 10" square, not a hedge!

Minimal effort.
Not lavender.
Excellent ground coverage
But not lavender.
About knee height.
I said NOT lavender.
Attractive to wildlife.
Lavender! F##k off

Something that will give this kind of effect around a poppy (and other stuff) patch.

View attachment 150253

Just not lavender.

As sugested by Cheshire Cat above, Rosemary is the nearest thing you'll get to Lavender. If you go for this, you might wish to avoid the upright or the low spreading ones?
Small plants will grow quite quickly. I would space them at 18" apart.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As sugested by Cheshire Cat above, Rosemary is the nearest thing you'll get to Lavender. If you go for this, you might wish to avoid the upright or the low spreading ones?
Small plants will grow quite quickly. I would space them at 18" apart.

To be honest I thought CC was taking the piss but this could work

Bright-Blue-Rosemary-Shrub.jpg

Seemingly I can even have blue and white stripes! :facepalm:

https://www.birdsandblooms.com/gard...ing/growing-rosemary-drought-tolerant-garden/

So that's sorted then my wild garden will be bordered by blue and white stripes of Rosemary - whodda thunk it.

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
California poppies are rapant and easy.

Our lawn is a battle now we have 2 hounds pissing on it, but the rest has recovered from the path/paving work

4F9C3C7B-2527-4D56-BE44-55F32B4F6454.jpeg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've got some bits and bobs of colour down my main border.

IMG_20220724_161430_301~2.jpg

IMG_20220724_155601_632~2.jpg

IMG_20220724_155636_348~2.jpg

And some bulbs across the way

IMG_20220724_155649_068~2.jpg

IMG_20220724_155711_465~2.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nice one Monty. Looks like you're needing to water like buggery sooner rather than later.

Believe me, mm's under the surface the soil is damp.
But it will be watered again, later.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Believe me, mm's under the surface the soil is damp.
But it will be watered again, later.

The plant to the left of the Dahlia, looks like a Water Figwort. If I'm right, it's normally treated as a weed. Not invasive, but it will spread if you leave it to seed. It has wierd red flowers, so you may wish to embrace it?
https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/wild...ort is a common,pollinated by the Common wasp.
I may be talking total rubbish, and you bought it and planted it! :)

Attachments

• Water Figwort.JPG
    Water Figwort.JPG
    229.5 KB · Views: 78

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The plant to the left of the Dahlia, looks like a Water Figwort. If I'm right, it's normally treated as a weed. Not invasive, but it will spread if you leave it to seed. It has wierd red flowers, so you may wish to embrace it?
https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/wild...ort is a common,pollinated by the Common wasp.
I may be talking total rubbish, and you bought it and planted it! :)

I'm pretty sure I did plant that.

The bottom right hand corner, narrow leaves white stripe, is one of those things I mentioned a while back.
I left that one to see what would happen.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Trying to grow watermelons as something of interest for my daughter to follow through the summer.

Have three well established plants with multiple fruits.

Does anyone have any experience in nurturing the fruit through to full maturity?

C3AF0BCC-E9D0-45B1-8A94-975605D55008.jpeg

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Tricky one (or perhaps not) for the gardeners of NSC.

This tree was very unwell two years ago. It was crowded by other trees and shrubs and young branches were dieing. We cleared around it and pruned (in the Summer - it has wounds that weep sap, so I assumed cherry/plum family). Last year it was a bit stronger and this year it is looking healthy with leaves on all branches and plump healthy stems.

But we have no idea what it is. No obvious blossom so far (unlike all the fruit trees in the garden). Hard to say how old it is. Only clue is the trunk looks a little like a cherry and so do the leaves. Any clues?

View attachment 136409 View attachment 136410

Well look what this tree just produced!! The mystery is over. It's a peach (or is it a plum??) - that has produced half a dozen fuits. Who'd have thought it!!!

peach.jpg

This tree was so sickly a couple of years ago, but we cleared some space and pruned it and now it's a really healthy tree prodcuing fruit!

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Noticed this lil bad boy coming out to say hello, as I was leaving.

IMG_20220807_132143_419~2.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's your Zantedeschia! Arum, or Calla Lily to you!!

Luckily it's on the purple side of the garden along with a buddleia and some kind of other gangly purple thing.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Well look what this tree just produced!! The mystery is over. It's a peach (or is it a plum??) - that has produced half a dozen fuits. Who'd have thought it!!!

View attachment 150421

This tree was so sickly a couple of years ago, but we cleared some space and pruned it and now it's a really healthy tree prodcuing fruit!

I think that fruit may be an apricot, but ripened to perfection. I recently got some that looked just like that - with speckles of redness in the skin, from the Park Farm shop opposite the Amex. They were by far the best apricots I've ever eaten. This year is apparently very good for them.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I think that fruit may be an apricot, but ripened to perfection. I recently got some that looked just like that - with speckles of redness in the skin, from the Park Farm shop opposite the Amex. They were by far the best apricots I've ever eaten. This year is apparently very good for them.

Nope, sorry disagree

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here