Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Both squirrels and voles are vegetarian

The culprit may not have been after grubs? Squirrels could be looking for nuts they've buried, or after Crocus bulbs!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My climbing rose got dwafted by the rampant poppies.
They all but killed it.

Yet still managed to pop this out today

IMG_20211022_142108_462~2.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Probably the last lawn mow of the year done and dusted.
Potentially the last lawn mow ever at Stat Towers.

Not quite shutting down for the year, as I might have gone early with pictures of the rose and other 'second life' plants about to flower.

Watch this space

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Probably the last lawn mow of the year done and dusted.
Potentially the last lawn mow ever at Stat Towers.

Not quite shutting down for the year, as I might have gone early with pictures of the rose and other 'second life' plants about to flower.

Watch this space

I'm on permanent watch!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A new arrival in The Hanging Gardens of Statalyon.

IMG_20211027_140414_248~2.jpg

I planted whatever that is back in the spring.
With the heat and rain they got humongous, growing to about 5ft tall triffids.
Well on their own initiative they are back growing and flowering at about 50cms, which is what I sure the packet said they'd do in the first place.

And here's rosy today

IMG_20211027_140346_611~2.jpg

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
A new arrival in The Hanging Gardens of Statalyon.

View attachment 141608

I planted whatever that is back in the spring.
With the heat and rain they got humongous, growing to about 5ft tall triffids.
Well on their own initiative they are back growing and flowering at about 50cms, which is what I sure the packet said they'd do in the first place.

And here's rosy today

View attachment 141609
Think that's a Cosmos in first picture. They do grow to a good height in right conditions

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
They will also self seed for next year if you leave the seed cases after they have flowered.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Until 2018 when it closed (I was gutted), I used to visit the BHCC nursery at the very back of Stanmer Park to buy chalk downland native plants, the brainchild of this eco pioneer going all the way back to the 60’s.
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/11591350.the-green-man-of-sussex/. [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] I think knows his story.

It passed me by that the huge walled garden has now been turned into the stunning One Garden Brighton, run by Plumpton College.
https://www.onegardenbrighton.com/
Well worth a visit, their formative perennial borders will look incredible next summer. With a cafe, restaurant, shop and still well stocked plants nursery. Would highly recommend a visit.

200283F6-D4E6-4C56-B3E2-E608574289E8.png

B105BE40-8F00-40AD-83FB-0EA0A5286502.png

F3D50DED-18A3-420C-BEF5-B8912B48AC12.png

Free entry.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Xxx deleted - how do you post a photo on here?

If it's direct from your phone the photo might be too big and will cropping which should be a straightforward option when you click on it.

Then obvs click on the photo frame 6 from the right in the same row as B I U

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
If it's direct from your phone the photo might be too big and will cropping which should be a straightforward option when you click on it.

Then obvs click on the photo frame 6 from the right in the same row as B I U

Thanks. Obviously I'm doing something wrong as I keep getting NSC says : invalid file. That's direct from phone.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks. Obviously I'm doing something wrong as I keep getting NSC says : invalid file. That's direct from phone.

Yeah chances are it's too big.

So crop the photo right down and if that still doesn't work, retake it but on a lower MP setting.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Until 2018 when it closed (I was gutted), I used to visit the BHCC nursery at the very back of Stanmer Park to buy chalk downland native plants, the brainchild of this eco pioneer going all the way back to the 60’s.
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/11591350.the-green-man-of-sussex/. [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] I think knows his story.

John Gapper is certainly one of the most inspirational people i've had the privilege of working with (alongside [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] of course.

As far as i'm aware, he has his own poly tunnel somewhere in the nursery and is still producing wild flowers. I'll try to find out a bit more as John's step son has just started volunteering with me.

As someone who spent 11 years working under glass at Stanmer, I was gutted when I heard about the plans. However, I visited it on the day it opened and thought it looked superb up there.

Lots of happy memories from being a 15 year old apprentice when i first started to finally looking after the stunning palm house and orangery.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here