Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Question(stupid)
I have purchased some African Violets for my recently cleaned Gran & Grandads grave in Hove.
I know they are house plants and will probably die quickly.
They came in a crappy plastic pot which is inside a ceramic pot.
My idea was dig down about 3-4 inches and pop in the ceramic pot, so it does not blow over.
My wife thinks I should plank them properly!!
I’m not so sure they would ever re germinate.
Any advice, I’m quite prepared to pop back twice a year pay my respects and pop in a new plant.
African Violets are not really for outdoors. They are not good with rain and damp, great on a windowsill and will last forever almost if watered sparingly from below.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've resigned myself to simple fact that my 'climbing' rose is either lethargic or afraid of heights.
But in good news The Poppyapocalypse has begun:-

IMG_20210419_113453_267.jpg

This is the winner so far of the stuff we stuck in the ground 3 weeks ago competition:-

IMG_20210419_113531_497.jpg

Here's the all important 'before' shot of secondary bed I was going to poppyify for Chris.
But have just spent £6 on 3 x other packs of seeds to be mixed in with a few poppies.

IMG_20210419_113629_075.jpg

and finally
What's this, what does it do, should I kill it?

IMG_20210419_120352_378.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I've resigned myself to simple fact that my 'climbing' rose is either lethargic or afraid of heights.
But in good news The Poppyapocalypse has begun:-

View attachment 135952

This is the winner so far of the stuff we stuck in the ground 3 weeks ago competition:-

View attachment 135953

Here's the all important 'before' shot of secondary bed I was going to poppyify for Chris.
But have just spent £6 on 3 x other packs of seeds to be mixed in with a few poppies.

View attachment 135954

and finally
What's this, what does it do, should I kill it?

View attachment 135955

Photo 1; Hold your nerve. It's only April.
Photo 2; "Your money or your Lupins!"
Photo 3; Soil looks fine. Run an edging iron (D-iron) along the edges of the paving to sharpen up the look.
Photo 4; I concur with Watford zero.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Looks like it could be the beginnings of a Peony to me, but if it is, there should have been some of these in the same place last year (colour may not be entirely accurate)

View attachment 135959

Only I'm thinking that with your horticultural expertise, you may have noticed :wink:

That's the problem.

Along that fence, last year, and for x previous years, there were half a dozen plants which never really grew.
Honestly, the didn't die off, always stayed green, but never grew up or out.

At that spot 12 months ago, was a hydrangea which perpetually remained a foot tall and only ever produced one flower, in a good year.

That all went last autumn now, all off a sudden, not only has red thing appeared but it seems to be growing an offshoot.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
That's the problem.

Along that fence, last year, and for x previous years, there were half a dozen plants which never really grew.
Honestly, the didn't die off, always stayed green, but never grew up or out.

At that spot 12 months ago, was a hydrangea which perpetually remained a foot tall and only ever produced one flower, in a good year.

That all went last autumn now, all off a sudden, not only has red thing appeared but it seems to be growing an offshoot.

Feed it and water it like buggery©Jack Straw and, in time you will get some stunning blooms. Me and [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] got a bit of a head start on you here but the more the merrier :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Feed it and water it like buggery©Jack Straw and, in time you will get some stunning blooms. Me and [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] got a bit of a head start on you here but the more the merrier :thumbsup:

Gonna kill it off then.

I wouldn't want to be part of any gang that would have me as a member.

The Peony Posse can do one.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Mine are looking VIGOROUS this year which I assume is a good sign. Any idea where I can get metal frames for holding them up? They seem to be about £30 on Amazon which is ridiculous.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Mine are looking VIGOROUS this year which I assume is a good sign. Any idea where I can get metal frames for holding them up? They seem to be about £30 on Amazon which is ridiculous.

How about 4 bamboo canes and a bit of garden twine per plant?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00J5N0...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

There's 50 in this bundle so would do quite a few plants?
You may someone with lots of bamboo in their garden who could cut you some?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Now I've moved my 10 year old raspberry plant to somewhere containable I guess I better investigate how to make it generate it's first ever edible raspberry.

IMG_20210419_160941_482.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Now I've moved my 10 year old raspberry plant to somewhere containable I guess I better investigate how to make it generate it's first ever edible raspberry.

View attachment 135965

Here is the link to the RHS's Raspberry page.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=148
If you've got Summer fruiting ones, you won't get any fruits this year as they fruit on stems which grew last year.
If you've got Autumn fruiting ones, you'll be fine as they fruit on the current (excuse the pun!), year's growth.
As the ones in the photo have been cut down to the ground, just hope they're Autumn ones, otherwise you'll have to wait another year!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

SuperBrighton

Apr 18, 2012
Hove
Can anyone advise where to get rid of rubble bags filled with soil/rubble? I have approx 30 but looking on the council website I can only take 6 per month to Hove tip.
How would they know if I have already dropped off 6 bags that month?

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Here is the link to the RHS's Raspberry page.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=148
If you've got Summer fruiting ones, you won't get any fruits this year as they fruit on stems which grew last year.
If you've got Autumn fruiting ones, you'll be fine as they fruit on the current (excuse the pun!), year's growth.
As the ones in the photo have been cut down to the ground, just hope they're Autumn ones, otherwise you'll have to wait another year!

Until last year I absolutely agreed with this but planted summer and autumn rasberries and pruned autumn to ground. Got no fruit so checked what I ordered and these autumn fruiting ones fruit on year old wood. Not sure that helps in any way just passing on.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Can anyone advise where to get rid of rubble bags filled with soil/rubble? I have approx 30 but looking on the council website I can only take 6 per month to Hove tip.
How would they know if I have already dropped off 6 bags that month?

I'm not sure either how they would know. Fill the bags to the very top, even if it means a two-person job to lift them. Fill your vehicle up with as many as you can and take them to Hove Tip.
If anyone questions you, plead ignorance and turn on the charm. If they don't let you tip the lot, take the rest to Wilson Avenue Tip and repeat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here