Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
i’ve got about 10 raspberry bushes in a fruit cage.

all growing healthily, just went out side and something has stripped one to its stem.

i’ve looked at others and can’t see anything lurking or even any signs of damage to them.

any ideas what may cause it?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

all growing healthily, just went out side and something has stripped one to its stem.

i’ve looked at others and can’t see anything lurking or even any signs of damage to them.

I'm afraid I don't do fruit and veg so I need to leave this to someone else. However, a photo would help. Might be able to spot something that also attacks ornamentals. Have a look around for the huge caterpillar of the Emperor Moth. They feed on Blackberries, but years ago, I bred some on Raspberry leaves and they loved them. Just a wild stab in the dark and unlikely, but you never know.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm afraid I don't do fruit and veg so I need to leave this to someone else. However, a photo would help. Might be able to spot something that also attacks ornamentals. Have a look around for the huge caterpillar of the Emperor Moth. They feed on Blackberries, but years ago, I bred some on Raspberry leaves and they loved them. Just a wild stab in the dark and unlikely, but you never know.

Great to have some rain this week eh!

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Very similar to myself with lots of box hedging, but I'd agree with [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] that it's decision time.

If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have gone with box, but it's probably taken me 5-7 years to get to what I now have with my box hedging. (And it does look great!).

If you decide to take the buggers on, I suspect it will be an ongoing battle, but I'm hoping that pheromone traps, renewed each year, together with a couple of sprays (insecticide or nematode) each year will keep them at bay.

Let us know what you decide to do :thumbsup:

I think I'm going to give it a go with your treatment recommendations. Mainly because I can't afford right now to rip it out and start again (appreciate the honesty, and advice though Jack!). So may as well give it a whirl. At least I now know what it is and if future outbreaks occur I can get to it before it takes over..

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I grow Raspberries and I don't think that anything has ever gone and stripped a plant of mine. Slugs and snails are out, so very unusual.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Photos are a must so we can diagnose things easier.
Roses never do well in pots. Even when it rains a lot, pots still need watering, perhaps every day. We don't know how big the pot is, but regardless, the soil could be very dry.
Was there black spots on the leaves before they went yellow?
Photos please, and have a little dig of the soil to see if it's moist.

e8cf849c75efd1310f834c54510a309d.jpg

No black spot. Up until a week or so ago it was growing like a mad thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Vine Weavil - see if there are some small white grubs in the soil, eating the roots?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

As Cheshire Cat suggests, it could be Wine Weevils amongst the roots. There's no bits taken out of the leaves which means it's nothing above ground.
Have you had a dig in the soil to see if the pot is really wet? How often do you water? Have you sprayed it over the top with anything? Have a look in the soil for white maggoty things (Wine Weevil grubs). Have you fed it lately?
I don't think it's a disease. I still think it might be due to drying out, especially when you say it was growing well up until recently. Of course, I could be totally wrong!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Anyone know what this is? Found in woodland in Kent a week or so ago. The leaves are quite broad like an orchids, green with black markings (you cn see some leaves in the first pic). I found two small isolated spots some miles apart with a few of these in land otherwise populated with bluebells.

plant 1.PNG

plant 2.PNG

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
As Cheshire Cat suggests, it could be Wine Weevils amongst the roots. There's no bits taken out of the leaves which means it's nothing above ground.
Have you had a dig in the soil to see if the pot is really wet? How often do you water? Have you sprayed it over the top with anything? Have a look in the soil for white maggoty things (Wine Weevil grubs). Have you fed it lately?
I don't think it's a disease. I still think it might be due to drying out, especially when you say it was growing well up until recently. Of course, I could be totally wrong!

I shall investigate tomorrow and report back.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Anyone know what this is? Found in woodland in Kent a week or so ago. The leaves are quite broad like an orchids, green with black markings (you cn see some leaves in the first pic). I found two small isolated spots some miles apart with a few of these in land otherwise populated with bluebells.

View attachment 123005

View attachment 123006

Probably Early Purple Orchid.
https://www.plantlife.org.uk/uk/discover-wild-plants-nature/plant-fungi-species/early-purple-orchid

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Re the rose problem.
I don't think it's vine weevil damage, looks more to do with drying out. Roses really don't do particularly well in pots, especially after a couple of years. They tend to replace the soil with roots. Of course, I could be well off the mark and it's waterlogging, but that normally causes defoliation

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Re the rose problem.
I don't think it's vine weevil damage, looks more to do with drying out. Roses really don't do particularly well in pots, especially after a couple of years. They tend to replace the soil with roots. Of course, I could be well off the mark and it's waterlogging, but that normally causes defoliation

They do like a nice dose of manure. Maybe the rose has used up all the nutrients it has and succumbed to an infection or old age ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

View attachment 123005

View attachment 123006

Gorgeous looking plant. Following up on JS’s answer, Rice Wood by Faversham seems a favourite location for photographing Bluebells, orchids and Wood Anemone.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Gorgeous looking plant. Following up on JS’s answer, Rice Wood by Faversham seems a favourite location for photographing Bluebells, orchids and Wood Anemone.

Lots of cracking spots around here:cheers:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here