Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sorry did I not make sense? He said "brown thin leaved" one in the middle photo, I thought it looked a little chocolatey? Looks like Anemone flaccida from that web site??
Apologies.

I was just being an arse.

(In fairness to me, I had a theory they were all the same plant in different stages of array/disarray)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I thought that too, but looks like I've learnt something today! ....Your chocolately one in the middle looks like the first one on this site:

Thanks for that, it explains so much of what I'm seeing. Some of the ones I have are forming huge clumps covering everything around them, whilst others are slowly and delicately pushing leaves and flowers up in between the remains of snowdrops, and tete a tete and the new leaves of bluebells and star of bethlehem. They've been there a few years now so it will be interesting to see what happens over the next few as they join up.

The plants have been 'sourced' from a couple of different 'Internet nurseries' and various clumps around sussex roadsides :wink:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Thanks for that, it explains so much of what I'm seeing. Some of the ones I have are forming huge clumps covering everything around them, whilst others are slowly and delicately pushing leaves and flowers up in between the remains of snowdrops, and tete a tete and the new leaves of bluebells and star of bethlehem. They've been there a few years now so it will be interesting to see what happens over the next few as they join up.

The plants have been 'sourced' from a couple of different 'Internet nurseries' and various clumps around sussex roadsides :wink:

I had no idea there were so many!! Who knew! I feel enlightened in the way of wood anenomes, thanks! Report back if you get a hybrid in a few years!!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I had no idea there were so many!! Who knew! I feel enlightened in the way of wood anenomes, thanks! Report back if you get a hybrid in a few years!!

I love driving through country roads this time of year and seeing huge areas of wood anemones. Going up to Hassocks in the trees on the left just before South downs nurseries, around Ditchling common (particularly the road off to chailey) completely wild and stunning :thumbsup:

The brown flaccid one is my favourite :lolol:

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I love driving through country roads this time of year and seeing huge areas of wood anemones. Going up to Hassocks in the trees on the left just before South downs nurseries, around Ditchling common (particularly the road off to chailey) completely wild and stunning :thumbsup:

The brown flaccid one is my favourite :lolol:

I wasn’t sure I wanted to mention it by name…::lol:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Does anyone one have any suggestions on how I can make this a usable space?

We moved in a couple of years ago and have been concentrating solely on the inside.

This is our bit of neglected space out the back of our 1st floor flat.

It's south facing so has good light and is rather warm out there in the summer.

The grass is more like an old field with massive big clumps and full of weeds.

It is also very bumpy under foot and uneven.

Can I even do anything? I'm now very unfit after a heart attack last year and struggle with prolonged exercise.

Ive been giving it a half arsed attempt at mowing it a couple of times last summer but it's so bumpy that even on the highest setting the mower will either not cut. Or bottom out.....

Should I just get a professional landscaper to come in and dig it up and level and turf it? Looks like years of patience (which I don't have) to sort it out .....

Any advice gratefully welcome
1000009221.jpg

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

We moved in a couple of years ago and have been concentrating solely on the inside.

Can I even do anything? I'm now very unfit after a heart attack last year and struggle with prolonged exercise.

Ive been giving it a half arsed attempt at mowing it a couple of times last summer but it's so bumpy that even on the highest setting the mower will either not cut. Or bottom out.....

Should I just get a professional landscaper to come in and dig it up and level and turf it? Looks like years of patience (which I don't have) to sort it out .....

Any advice gratefully welcome View attachment 179803
Can you get a mini digger back there - You could have the grass off and reasonably levelled in no time. Then maybe put some nice borders in, have a little path between them. Veg plot at the end? There's loads of potential.

I'm currently cutting out some paths in fenced off bits of our land between the ponds and woodland/meadow areas. Probably done about 100 linear metres or 75 sqaure meteres so far, so less than your space and it's incredibly hard work removing grass so you defnitely want to use a machine.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Can you get a mini digger back there - You could have the grass off and reasonably levelled in no time. Then maybe put some nice borders in, have a little path between them. Veg plot at the end? There's loads of potential.

I'm currently cutting out some paths in fenced off bits of our land between the ponds and woodland/meadow areas. Probably done about 100 linear metres or 75 sqaure meteres so far, so less than your space and it's incredibly hard work removing grass so you defnitely want to use a machine.
POSSIBLY. How big are mini diggers? I have no idea! It's a bit of a wiggle round the back of the flat behind some garages. But it's a tad wider than a normal path down the side of the house scenario. But there is a back gate with wider access just out of shot on the left that leads straight into our "garden".

I huse a lot of big pallets at work so can readily get hold of 3m lengths of 2x2 or 3x3 timber so I was considering making some kind of raised bed or bench seat thing along that fence and across the back edge as you look at it with some decent garden furniture set up with a parasol as there is zero shade until after 7pm during summer..

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Looks to have lots of potential, but if you are limited in terms of what you can do physically and can afford it, getting someone to level and turf a large part of it may not be a bad idea (sod's law says that it will then turn dry and you'll have to water like buggery all summer © @Jack Straw ).

Have them cut a couple of beds that you can then deal with at your leisure. If you get it done quickly, you can spend time out there this summer and a large bit of lawn with a couple of beds would give you a start. Maybe leave a bit rough at the bottom that you can gradually turn over to fruit/veg raised beds etc.

I've spent 30+years contemplating, adding to and changing my garden and it's starting to get to where I want :wink:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

It's a great space that has huge potential, very jealous!

The first thing I'd decide is what you want from the space? Sunbathing, kickabout for kids, vegetable growing or a space to get lost in.

Personally, I use our garden as place to escape, I like to walk around into different 'rooms' and seating areas. Partitioning the space and creating pathways means a walk from one end to the other can be leisurely and take a few minutes.

I'd focus on a small manageable lawn area where you can keep it manicured and give the rest away to borders navigated by pathways. One seating area close to the house and one at the far end where you can go to escape!

If its South facing it could be unbearably hot in summer so a small copse of himalayan birch half way down would provide some shade, dappled sunlight and create some height and winter interest

Attachments

• how-to-landscape-narrow-garden.jpg
    how-to-landscape-narrow-garden.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 16
  • 9b246b1b4f6b1dbb1c1a21d2a0f0ec72.jpg
    9b246b1b4f6b1dbb1c1a21d2a0f0ec72.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 18
  • asian-landscape.jpg
    asian-landscape.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 16
  • himalayansummer.jpg
    himalayansummer.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 17

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
POSSIBLY. How big are mini diggers? I have no idea! It's a bit of a wiggle round the back of the flat behind some garages. But it's a tad wider than a normal path down the side of the house scenario. But there is a back gate with wider access just out of shot on the left that leads straight into our "garden".

I huse a lot of big pallets at work so can readily get hold of 3m lengths of 2x2 or 3x3 timber so I was considering making some kind of raised bed or bench seat thing along that fence and across the back edge as you look at it with some decent garden furniture set up with a parasol as there is zero shade until after 7pm during summer..
Mini digger will get through a normal size gate. 3ft no problem I think. Stacked 3x3s could work nicely for a raised bed. If you're removing the grass, consider seeing aside an area for wildflowers, maybe get hold of some tree whips (you've probably missed the spring planting), things like Rowan, Hazel, Silver Birch are fast growing.

If your flush with 3x3, you may want to consider buying a cheap 'sail' and put it on some posts for shade/shelter.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
any idea what this is oh wise folk of NSC?

Other half reckons it could be a bay tree. But before deciding to use it’s leaves in cooking would like to make 100% certain.

IMG_0872.jpeg

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Yeah, I'm very sure that's Bay - Give the leaves a scrunch and sniff, should have delicate sweet fragrant smell.
thanks, however after badly breaking my nose about 20 years ago I was left without a sense of smell. I always relied on Mrs to assist, however following her escapades with Covid she also has been left without a sense of smell or taste 😳😳

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
any idea what this is oh wise folk of NSC?

Other half reckons it could be a bay tree. But before deciding to use it’s leaves in cooking would like to make 100% certain.

View attachment 179909
It could be Bay, but also Portugese Laurel. Bay leaves aren't usually wavy around the edge, or particularly elongated.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
thanks, however after badly breaking my nose about 20 years ago I was left without a sense of smell. I always relied on Mrs to assist, however following her escapades with Covid she also has been left without a sense of smell or taste 😳😳
Ahh - You should probably err on the side of caution then! The leaves are absolutely identical to my Bay, (I went and got one to compare) but I wouldn't want to make you ill!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here