Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I had cut the verge outside my house right back, strimmed it to within a millimetre of it's life and then sowed wildflower seeds all over it at least 6 weeks ago. The grass has now grown back and if I don't have a stunning display next year then I'm considering suing the NSCer who advised me ???

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I had cut the verge outside my house right back, strimmed it to within a millimetre of it's life and then sowed wildflower seeds all over it at least 6 weeks ago. The grass has now grown back and if I don't have a stunning display next year then I'm considering suing the NSCer who advised me ???
You should have listened to the only expert.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Slabs and bolt the greenhouse down, otherwise it will blow away in a gale like (what's left of) mine does.
Like this. 😢😢😢😢. What's left of it.

Attachments

• 20231222_110543.jpg
    20231222_110543.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 42

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I cut back about a third of our Fig (brown turkey) last winter and the crop was depleted by more than a third. Should I do more this winter or leave it for a year? Ta.

Depends on how much more it needs. A third a third a third each year till you get to the size thats right for your space (assuming its gotten to large), then the year following will be incredible as figs fruit on one year old wood...If its at the size you want, then this years harvest should be vastly improved.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

When was it sown in relation to that frost we had?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
When was it sown in relation to that frost we had?
Before the frost (not that I think it makes any difference as it's meant to be sown in Autumn) but I think the idea of absolutely scalping the grass was to give the seed a start when it warms up. Unfortunately the grass has then re-grown.

The NSCer who advised me only lives round the corner so I'll check his verge next time I go past :wink:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Before the frost (not that I think it makes any difference as it's meant to be sown in Autumn) but I think the idea of absolutely scalping the grass was to give the seed a start when it warms up. Unfortunately the grass has then re-grown.

The NSCer who advised me only lives round the corner so I'll wee-wee on his verge next time I go past :wink:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

The NSCer who advised me only lives round the corner so I'll check his verge next time I go past :wink:

The frost won't kill grass seed, but some of the wildflower seeds depending on the mix won't have liked it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

By late January remember to make it impossible for the BHCC sit-on mower thug to destroy it. I used painted stakes, just in the nick of time, only by luck. He visits from Feb etc.

My opinion …. the wildflower seeds will be fine. With climate change, early November is the new mid October.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
By late January remember to make it impossible for the BHCC sit-on mower thug to destroy it. I used painted stakes, just in the nick of time, only by luck. He visits from Feb etc.

The painted stakes are already in (y)

Have your solicitors details handy, just in case :wink:

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Wickes had a sale on sandstone pavers so made a stepping-stone path as a Christmas project. Run out of jobs now!

Attachments

• IMG_20231204_095430_838.jpg
    IMG_20231204_095430_838.jpg
    1,023.6 KB · Views: 33

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Wasn't sure whether this should go on this thread or the restaurant one, but I know there's some serious horticulturists on here, so a bit left field

:
dodgy leaf.jpeg

I've just made a home made pizza and whenever I buy fresh spinach, there's always some of this in it, anyone want to guess what it is ?

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Wasn't sure whether this should go on this thread or the restaurant one, but I know there's some serious horticulturists on here, so a bit left field

:
View attachment 172241

I've just made a home made pizza and whenever I buy fresh spinach, there's always some of this in it, anyone want to guess what it is ?
The Cotyledon leaf, bit of a crappy article but you get the drift here :

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The Cotyledon leaf, bit of a crappy article but you get the drift here :

I feel guilty now. The rest of the Spinach went on the Pizza and those bits are sitting sadly on the chopping board :down:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

:
View attachment 172241

Just the "first leaves" (as opposed to "true leaves") from the spinach seed I'd imagine, similar to those you get on any seedling.

Just some pore buggers that germinated late and ended up with the crop.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Does anyone here grow Crocosmia?

I planted about 200 Culms a couple of years ago which have started form nice clumps through the borders.

Not sure if I have a problem. It's been incredibly mild here and we're in a bit of microclimate. We usually get only a handful of frosts a year and very light, so far none at all. The crocosmia have started to sprout not all only those in the most sheltered parts of the garden!

Will the inevitable cold in January and February kill them off as they have sprouted so early? They normally start showing in early March!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Does anyone here grow Crocosmia?

I planted about 200 Culms a couple of years ago which have started form nice clumps through the borders.

Not sure if I have a problem. It's been incredibly mild here and we're in a bit of microclimate. We usually get only a handful of frosts a year and very light, so far none at all. The crocosmia have started to sprout not all only those in the most sheltered parts of the garden!

Will the inevitable cold in January and February kill them off as they have sprouted so early? They normally start showing in early March!

They are pretty hardy, do you know which Crocosmia it is? Lucifer? Mine is Lucifer and has sprouted early before (we are in Shoreham) and been absolutely fine (my rhubard and custard honeysuckle is sprouting!!) , one year I put a big tub of mulch over it when a frost was forecast and it had sprouted just to be safe, but most years now I leave it to its own devices and they've been ok with the odd frost. I did lose a clump once, but that is because it sat in water near the pond too long and got root rot.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
They are pretty hardy, do you know which Crocosmia it is? Lucifer? Mine is Lucifer and has sprouted early before (we are in Shoreham) and been absolutely fine (my rhubard and custard honeysuckle is sprouting!!) , one year I put a big tub of mulch over it when a frost was forecast and it had sprouted just to be safe, but most years now I leave it to its own devices and they've been ok with the odd frost. I did lose a clump once, but that is because it sat in water near the pond too long and got root rot.

Yeah they are lucifer. Thanks for your reply, has reassured me. I think the culms cost around £70 so I'd be pretty annoyed to lose them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here