Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Garcia's style of play

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Away from home, very good, problem is, just like the dinosaur before him, he seems to want to use the same style of play at home.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
As far as I can it's ''more direct'', but I wouldn't call it a style.

I like Oscar, he's got a tough job on his hands, and we're going to have to admit this is a transitional season. A couple of good games and we may get the confidence back, our squad with confidence *should* be good enough for a serious promotion push. If this isn't happening then I'll have to question OG. As things stands, we've had a brilliant November, and a nasty slip-up in Dec but it's far from being all over. Let's regroup, build and push on.

We have so many game changing players coming back, that's bound to make a difference. If they don't, then it's time to question Garcia - Not now.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
In simple terms he plays a more direct, faster version of Poyet. Last night, the 42, 21 and 11 of Barnseley were too comfortable on the ball, something that must have surprised even Oscar. When we get it right, we get behind the defenders more often than not, last night we only showed up the last 30 mins.
Shame Buckely wasn't fit to start.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Whilst the OP may well be right, you have to give the guy a break. He has had one single season of management in an uncompetitive fourteen team league. He is by no means a complete manager and still has much to learn. He has now been thrown in the deep-end in the championship and is going to need a season or two get to grips with it. There are experienced options out there but TB wanted to go with Oscar, so now we must be patient with him.

Post of the day !!! The usual over reaction from people on here, patience is required this season, not booing and slagging off the manager.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
As others have said it's a crazy league which is why I hate playing teams down at the bottom, they're all scrapping for their lives to not go in at Xmas in the relegation spots.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
One thing that I didn't understand when Gus was here and I still don't understand now Garcia is manager. When you are playing a team at the bottom of the table and lacking confidence you should attack at pace from the kick off, when you are at home. We passed the ball around but were completely toothless for the first 10 mins, after that Barnsley started to grow in confidence and were very positive. In fact they outplayed us for most of the first half. We are starting so slowly and I just can't understand why :shrug:

In fairness to Oscar though, you cannot legislate for absolute shit defending from experienced players which resulted in the two Barnsley goals.

I agree about the lack of a fast start. Rather than finding out why Barnsley have conceded the most goals in the Championship, we elected to show off the fact that we could pass the ball around in front of a team that were quite happy to let us. And then when Barnsley got the ball, we let them do exactly the same thing, allowing them to grow in confidence that we weren't trying to hurt them. Until his recent goals flurry, I always thought JFC is the perfect Oscar player in that he generally moves possession on without damaging the opposition.

But what gets me (and it was the same with Poyet) is the reluctance to get either players or the ball into the penalty area. There were times last night when we were in possession in the Barnsley half but not what you'd call on the attack - for example, Conway had the ball, but no-one was rushing up in support or busting a gut to make a run into the area. When defences are put under pressure, they make mistakes. Barnsley's goals-against column suggests that they've made a lot this season. We did nothing to force any more.

Okay, it may be that the limitations of the squad are at work here, and I've said that we can't judge OG until we see what he can do with a fully-fit squad. He may even have a plan that makes use of CMS's talents. But Barnsley, FFS ...

Last edited:

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
That just shows you up as being clueless.....unless you mean it in a sarcastic way. I am not sure, as making substitutions at half time in the last two games when we have been trailing is pretty bloody urgent.

So what was his plan for the first half? If it was to sit back, let the worst team in the league have loads of time on the ball and gradually get a bit of confidence, then I have to say that it worked brilliantly.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Post of the day !!! The usual over reaction from people on here, patience is required this season, not booing and slagging off the manager.

Couldn't agree more. We've lost a game of football FFS! Anyone would think it was the world coming to an end.
As much as I hate losing, I'll get over it by Saturday.
I dread to think how some people on here would react if something really nasty happened to them.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I will judge him when all the players are back. With all the injuries, we have had no pace and that showed last night, not Oscars fault. When lua lua, buckley, ulloa and cms are in the starting 11 we should rip teams apart.
Yes we have had an unbeaten run, but we hardly set the world alight and rode our luck at times.

Lets see what Oscar can do with a full squad and then judge him.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Some cracking over reactions on here. Do like people calling for more 'passion' and shouting. Textbook stuff.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Without Buckley, Lua Lua, Orlandi, Ulloa we simply are not going to break down a side.
The players we have been using have done a decent job of keeping us in the mix.
But now we desperately need them back.

We had absolutely no pace in the side. Its so easy to defend against.

Barnes looked uninterested or knackered, I cant decide which.
Lopez was non existent.
JFC never looked forward.
Crofts - my god, the goals have been masking his general play, his touch and passing is dreadful

Why Lita didnt get at least 30 mins i dont know.

Kemy was excellent for the 20 mins he had, a real bonus, I would start him saturday, he always looks forward and is trying to make something happen

The sooner we get Bridcutt, Kemy and Orlandi as our central 3 at home the better, With Buckley, Lua Lua/Conway and Ulloa we will look a completely different side.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Rather than finding out why Barnsley have conceded the most goals in the Championship, we elected to show off the fact that we could pass the ball around in front of a team that were quite happy to let us.

This was precisely my problem with yesterday's performance. I'm putting it down to not having enough players available that are capable of breaking down a side, i.e Lua Lua, (match fit) Buckley,

If we play like that when we have all our options available I'll be asking some serious questions of OG. For now he's getting the benefit of some substantial doubt. Let's judge him when he was everyone available, he's done very well with what's available so far.

Seagulls Downunder

Mar 3, 2008
Sydney
This isn't the style of play he used at Tel Aviv and the style that probably got him the job in the 1st place, I wonder how Tony feels about it, he must have thought he was getting an attack minded manager.
This of course could still be the case once everyone is fit but only time will tell and if it is then he may well play 3 up front when need which he did on many occasions at Tel Aviv.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
This isn't the style of play he used at Tel Aviv and the style that probably got him the job in the 1st place, I wonder how Tony feels about it, he must have thought he was getting an attack minded manager.

In the very first interview he gave as our manager, didn't OG say "My instinct is always to attack."

If only... How can he say that and then, when we are losing at home to the bottom side, fail to bring on a proven goalscorer in Lita until it is far too late?

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
In simple terms he plays a more direct, faster version of Poyet. Last night, the 42, 21 and 11 of Barnseley were too comfortable on the ball, something that must have surprised even Oscar. When we get it right, we get behind the defenders more often than not, last night we only showed up the last 30 mins.
Shame Buckely wasn't fit to start.

But Buckley was fit enough to play 45 minutes, so why not start him, get Barnsley on the back foot and replace him early in second half when he tired? He was either fit to take part in the game or not and clearly as he played 45 mins he was fit, so why not start with him.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Oscar's style?...

I'd say casual, very casual.

OG.jpg

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The recent decent results have masked what have been, at home at least, some fairly uninspiring performances. A real lack of pace and width has not been addressed.

Problem last night was that the recent results and movement up the division have raised expectations higher than the recent performances (results aside) should justify. It means fans were more annoyed/surprised than perhaps they should have been. We were poor at Bournemouth and poor last night and those games are far from the only ones.

Not rushing to call for Oscar's head. Not by a long way. But equally not overly convinced he is the right man for the job. Difficult to say one way or another at this stage based on his limited managerial experience. Fingers crossed.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
The recent decent results have masked what have been, at home at least, some fairly uninspiring performances. A real lack of pace and width has not been addressed.

Problem last night was that the recent results and movement up the division have raised expectations higher than the recent performances (results aside) should justify. It means fans were more annoyed/surprised than perhaps they should have been. We were poor at Bournemouth and poor last night and those games are far from the only ones.

Not rushing to call for Oscar's head. Not by a long way. But equally not overly convinced he is the right man for the job. Difficult to say one way or another at this stage based on his limited managerial experience. Fingers crossed.

This, we weren't good at Doncaster nor were we anything special at Wigan.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I hope we play like our half-time training soon. The touch of Orlandi and Ulloa and fit Buckley will help enormously, but i hope the pass and move stuff goes flambouyantly through the side without enormous delay. Scrapping for victories and relying on a usually sturdy backline doesn't make it a season to remember and makes for a fairly brief highlights package.

A fit Buckley hmmm, noticed him limping around last night after five minutes, looking at the bench, rubbing his foot. Is there such an animal anymore, a fit Buckley?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
A fit Buckley hmmm, noticed him limping around last night after five minutes, looking at the bench, rubbing his foot. Is there such an animal anymore, a fit Buckley?

That's the price of having an attack-minded player who nips the ball around defenders and half-invites rash tackles. He'd been clipped not long on and it was clearly a pain, but he came through alright, i hope. He might be a tad fragile, but we have to get the best out of him every moment he's on the field, before being replaced at times by the ne'er-again-to-be-able-to-play-two-games-in-a-week LuaLua.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here