Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Garcia's style of play

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Whilst the OP may well be right, you have to give the guy a break.

shirley the point is we can (and have) give him a break, but theres a lack of strategy coming through. the only consistent theme is inconsistancy. even with players away, the managers style and tactics should be apparent, one should see what he is trying to achieve, and then excuses made for why it didnt come off.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
One thing that I didn't understand when Gus was here and I still don't understand now Garcia is manager. When you are playing a team at the bottom of the table and lacking confidence you should attack at pace from the kick off, when you are at home. We passed the ball around but were completely toothless for the first 10 mins, after that Barnsley started to grow in confidence and were very positive. In fact they outplayed us for most of the first half. We are starting so slowly and I just can't understand why :shrug:

In fairness to Oscar though, you cannot legislate for absolute shit defending from experienced players which resulted in the two Barnsley goals.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
One thing that I didn't understand when Gus was here and I don't understand now Garcia is manager. When you are playing a team at the bottom of the table and lacking confidence you should attack at pace from the kick off, when you are at home. We passed the ball around but were completely toothless for the first 10 mins, after that Barnsley started to grow in confidence and were very positive. We are starting so slowly and I just can't understand why :shrug:

I thought we were completely toothless for the first 45 minutes. It was like a training session, passing the ball around. We had one shot which Butland and the post stopped and that was it.
It isn't just one defeat, we were the same at Bournemouth and Wigan. I feel like I should turn up at half time to watch, as the first half is slow and laborious.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I thought we were completely toothless for the first 45 minutes. It was like a training session, passing the ball around. We had one shot which Butland and the post stopped and that was it.
It isn't just one defeat, we were the same at Bournemouth and Wigan. I feel like I should turn up at half time to watch, as the first half is slow and laborious.

Agreed, my point is that the passing of the ball with no end result and goal threat gives the opposition time to settle and play their own game. Conway's shot and the keeper's fine save, tipping the ball onto the bar was our only meaningful attempt in the first 45 mins. Barnsley went into half time looking by far the better team.

I really miss the days when we went for teams from the off in games like last night. It was a long time ago that a manager set us up to try and steamroller a team from the off.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Tactically inept. They are so focused on playing 1 way with 1 striker that they don't seem to appear to be able to change team formation against anyone. We should have battered Barnsley from the off last night. Play a high line and press them from the off. This isn't with hindsight either as it was plain to see from the opening exchanges.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
shirley the point is we can (and have) give him a break, but theres a lack of strategy coming through. the only consistent theme is inconsistancy. even with players away, the managers style and tactics should be apparent, one should see what he is trying to achieve, and then excuses made for why it didnt come off.

The lack of strategy seems apparent. Of course, he didn't really have to do anything other than keep last year's strategy going, which was working fine, but either he wanted to impose himself or the injuries got in the way, or the team had a big hangover from he summer. I'm inclined to believe its a combination of the last two. There was an obvious strategy when Gus started, but then he was trying to change a bad, losing team, and maybe it was easier for a change in strategy to become apparent. Plus, as it turned out he was an excellent manager.

But the point of giving Oscar a break is that he is a really really inexperienced manager, and he needs time to learn. A bit like forgiving JFC a bad game.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
What really showed last night that a certain defender, who may read the board, so I will not name and shame, had yet another stinker. Adding to that, he has a direct replacement on the bench, who I cannot remember being in the starting eleven all season.

Adding to that. I wold love to see a midfield either as a diamond or flat, with two strikers up front.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
What I don't understand was why he wanted to change our style of play.

Last year the patient passing style seemed to work pretty well (and I reckon we would have gone up had we signed Ulloa at the start of the season). For some reason he decided we should mix it up a bit and play with more pace. But why? If it ain't broke, etc... We finished 4th, can't see us getting anywhere near that this time.

For me the jury's still out, and we will only find out if he knows what he's doing once we have a full squad available. Not particularly convincing so far - even the good recent results were a tad fortunate.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Is this not a bit of an over-reaction? Players coming back seemed to upset the pattern of play a bit; once they've 'bedded' back in it should be ok. Had Butland not made two great saves the result would've been different. I do agree the defence seemed static for the two goals but I'm sure this was a 'blip' tonight.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Is this not a bit of an over-reaction? Players coming back seemed to upset the pattern of play a bit; once they've 'bedded' back in it should be ok. Had Butland not made two great saves the result would've been different. I do agree the defence seemed static for the two goals but I'm sure this was a 'blip' tonight.

We sat back and allowed Barnsley time to grow in to the game and beat us. That's got nothing to do with players coming back, it down to how they are asked to play IMO.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Well, yes, I think we owe him more than a season!, unless he turns out to be complete bobbins. For one thing, he needs to be able to sign his own players and build his own team before we can truly judge. But I'm in the 'hope' he's the right man for the job camp because there is little evidence to go on to 'know' he's the right guy

But he doesn't sign his own players does he? Burke does it. OG is just the head coach we don't actually have a manager these days. Last night it showed.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

I'm inclined to believe that a bit for the Bournemouth game, once Orlandi and Andrews were all subbed on our chances of winning the game rather faded away, I'm pretty sure we'd have won it had the original midfield stayed on. But that was probably worth it for getting them match fit.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Don't get me wrong I like the guy but I honestly believe he himself hasn't got a clue what he's doing.

Based on last night's display, I think I'd go along with that. OG was standing still on the touchline for most of the game looking as if he didn't give a toss. I'd like to see some passion now and then.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
good grief

we are playing in a bonkers league ................. have you seen Watford's recent form?

Class, skill, guile and application are of marginal advantage in this division. It's a tear up, shits and giggles party of flashes of brilliance (step up Mr Barnes and JFC) and utter shit (step up one of the Watford defenders in their 3-0 defeat to Yeovil). Just enjoy it, it's entertaining.

This.. When we win he is god and when we lose he aint got a clue.. Teams on paper that should of spank their opponents lost last night lost, this league is a crazy league.

Talk about knee jerk reaction.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
This.. When we win he is god and when we lose he aint got a clue.. Teams on paper that should of spank their opponents lost last night lost, this league is a crazy league.

Indeed.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

THANKYOU

I really don't understand the continual binfests whenever we lose one game.

Yes, we should have won on paper, but the game isn't played on paper. Teams have bad days, some have more than others. On paper, should Watford have beaten Yeovil at the weekend? Should Leicester have beaten Sheffield Wednesday? Should QPR have beaten Doncaster? This league is insane, sometimes impossible to predict.
We don't have a God given right to spank each team we come across. We've a new manager who is still getting used to the league (and to those who say that we've given him a chance....less than half a season is not a chance) and still getting our more effective players back to fitness.

Give Oscar the chance to bring the players he wants in (that we can afford) and see how he does. I don't expect fireworks this season and many said the same at the start (though i suspect some may have extremely short memories). We're not good enough to win the league, we're probably not good enough to sustain a play-off spot but we know how good we can be and once we have the consistency and the players we'll come good.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
And all this grizzling from people lauding him as a possible Manager of the Month for November.

I wonder if it has occurred to anyone that it was the players who didn't do as they were told. No?

They were certainly very lethargic first half, hardly won a 50-50 ball. hard to blame the manager for so many below par performances. Credit to Barnsley for realising the game was there for the taking, after about 10 mins, and really going for it. They were even adventurous after scoring their second. The reaction against Leicester, who will also be hurting, will be interesting. If we are not 100% up for this game, we are likely to be over run imo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here