Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Garcia's reasons for leaving (from today's Argus, per Andy Naylor)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm more concerned about player recruitment wasting the budgets. Gus had players brought in that he didn't want and it seems that Oscar didn't get one player from his list.

He also got a raft of players that he did want, Oscar apparently got none.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Well we are most certainly not PLR based on this. I do not expect us to break the bank or throw money around but I do expect us to build a team the coach/manager/whatever we call them is happy with and has a say in. It won't take long for this to have an affect on the coach/managers we sign moving forward if we do not change our approach.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
It's great after years of shit football and shit home grounds that we finally get a great ground training facility and still manage to shoot ourselves in the foot and be a laughing stock. Palace fans must love it the amount of ammunition we give them to take the piss.

We are really doing our best to fall off the surf board over and over again rather than ride the crest of the wave that might not be so high for much longer.

Most of the palace fans I've spoken to don't care.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
If Burke has to conduct transfer negotiations with a finite pot of money and clear matters with Barber/Bloom; we can't really point the finger at him for the failure to - for example - sign Grabban.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If Burke has to conduct transfer negotiations with a finite pot of money and clear matters with Barber/Bloom; we can't really point the finger at him for the failure to - for example - sign Grabban.

True the buck stops with Bloom, but it is his ball so he calls the tune, even if we don't like it.

He's delivered the stadium so I can be disappointed with the players we can't sign but cannot demand he does more. We are in a much better place than we were or I ever expected us to be.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hmmm, it's flame o'clock.

I think the ever approachable Barber is doing 'mission impossible' (the day to day running of a football club, on a budget) rather well.

I understand the need for consistency in player recruitment, esp as ALL managers would appear to have a short shelf life.
Although that consistency would seem to be responsible for our managers 'one and done' tenure.

I'd be gutted if Tony decided losing 1 manager is unfortunate, losing 2 is unacceptable, to return to a more conventional chairman/manager structure, now.

It would feel like it's all a little to late as Oscar walks off to the horizon.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Were his requests reasonable? We don't know that. For all we know his list of targets started with Messi and then moved onto Ronaldo.

Grabban - clearly he wanted to come but couldn't agree terms. But did he get too greedy? To pluck made-up numbers, perhaps he wanted 8k/week and the club would only pay 6k. Perhaps the club decided if they were going to pay 8k/week to someone, they could do better than Grabban.

So thats understandable. And regardless, clearly there is a mess with recruitment. But Garcia inherited a fantastic squad, there wasn't much needed doing, and Ward to replace Bridge and Andrews to replace Hammond were perfectly fine deals to start the season off. The fact he couldn't sign who he wanted is being used somewhat as a smokescreen to hide the fact he couldn't do more with what he had available.

This all day. One sided story. Obviously not going to answer why he chose to keep his power dry which backfired in first halves time and again. Spectularly so on Sunday. If a less flash sounding British manager had been responsible for that performance there would be bedlam. Emperors clothes for me. Let's get some spirit, shape and invention back in that side.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Very interesting stuff. Essentially confirms that he had no say at all regarding players brought in as his list of players was dismissed.

It does not seem to me to confirm anything of the sort. That's your supposition. It confirms they didn't deliver on any of them, which might be more worrying.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Well what Oscar is saying via the Argus and Naylor is the polar opposite of what I've heard from a what I would call a reliable source.

Now I'm not saying either is 100% correct but I don't believe either are 100% wrong either. There is more to this than Oscar's view and although he clearly had issues with the recruiting process which must be investigated I also believe some of the problems are of his own making.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
So Chicken Runner61 post yesterday, was spot on.

"Its obvious OG and the board fell out over transfers and player wages

OG politely told them he wanted to leave and the club don't want it to look like they are at fault (even if they are not)

Noelia is always going to be on Oscars side what did you expect her to say? Maybe she has said too much and OG may not be happy about this.

I've always suspected our finances don't meet the expectations of the fans and even perhaps what the board thought the Amex could bring, if you check my posts I've always said the matchday revenue wasn't enough to cover cost to finance a squad to reach and stay in the Prem.

OG going confirms Poyet was right about the ceiling and that the ceiling is still there.

TB is a rich man but whether he is rich enough or willing to gamble enough to buy promotion I can't say. I heard today that Randy Learner has spent £300M of his own money in the last 2 years trying to make Villa successful, has TB got £300M to risk? Even if he has rich people don't like losing that sort of money even if its within their pockets - they got rich by not losing that sort of money and I suspect TB is the sort of Guy that doesn't like losing £3000 let alone £3m of his families.

I think TB is happy to invest in Infrastructure, buildings and intellectual property for the club but unwilling to gamble it on Players and players wages which might expose him to unsustainable losses. The Amex has to bring in as much money as it can and the clubs finances must dictate how much we spend on players and their wages.

TB might be a fan but he isn't stupid to go and make himself bankrupt trying to make 4th place in the Prem unless there is a good chance of doing it."

I would say that's a pretty accurate assessment of the current situation. In particular with regard to Mr Tonys risk taking. I'm sure you're right that he will happily spend money on sustainable assets, but baulks at throwing around cash for players that will in eventuality lose him money.
I can't blame him, it's his money and he's used it wisely, he's saved us from the hell of Withdean whilst building up his empire. Good Luck to him.
Personally, I'd be happy to keep doing well and have a successful, financially sound club in the Championship rather than losing millions scratching away at the bottom of the premier. That's my point of view entirely, and I'm sure there are those that will see Top Four in the Prem as their goal. I respect that to.
I was however disappointed to read about Oscars frustrations in the transfer market, and good on him for keeping it under his hat in respect I'm sure of the Clubs interest.
It will be interesting to see where we head now in the management stakes, I would assume considering his transfer overspend at Cardiff that will leave Malky out of the running. I don't personally like Sherwood and think he suffers emotional problems, and if he can't control himself at Spurs I wonder how he would fair here, especially with no say in much at all.
Well we can never say our life as Supporters of BHA is anything less than exciting even if some of our footy has been.
Finally Good Luck to Oscar, I think he can leave here with his head held high, I didn't agree with his football tactics but I do respect him a whole lot more than I could his predecessor. :albion2:

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
We have an academy - this is out future - not managers wanting £100m to gamble the future of the club - if this means we are in the championship for 5 more years - so be it.

but then, if we have a god academy player - he will be snapped up.

the best time to go up was last season - we fluffed it - and that is that.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'd be gutted if Tony decided losing 1 manager is unfortunate, losing 2 is unacceptable, to return to a more conventional chairman/manager structure, .

I wouldn't. The current structure doesn't work in England. You could put the director of football wages and benefits plus the cost of recruiting a new manager every May in to the playing budget as a bonus.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
What's laughable about a £22 million wage bill?

I don't think Sherwood is the answer.....he only just got performances from a squad worth £200 million and on god knows what salaries.

Malky please, and make it quick.

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
I hope all of those posters who have dammed Oscar as a crap boring coach have a really good look at themselves. Personally I have championed Oscar, the same way I supported Gus. TB needs to have a really good look at what is going on in the background, especially if the Grabban story is true.
Who to replace Oscar, there is only one Englishman I would trust, Glenn Hoddle

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
I don't think Sherwood is the answer.....he only just got performances from a squad worth £200 million and on god knows what salaries.

Malky please, and make it quick.

And Malkys done what exactly? Spent £10m in the summer before Cardiff got promoted, bought the league, and was then on course for relegation before getting sacked.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here