Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gambling

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It appears to be the last vice that is still tolerated by the government. I find it hard to believe that many football clubs proudly display advertising for betting companies - hardly the sort of thing I would want to promote to my kids. Sky seems to have got in on the act. Personally I hate it, and what it can do to people.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Even though i said i dont gamble, i just remembered i went through a phase of putting quite a bit in £100 jackpot fruit machines. But they were so simple, put your money in and if 4 Bars came up £100 came crashing out in 50p pieces. But now you need to put £50 in to understand how to get to the bit where you stand a chance of getting the jackpot out.
You never see people playing fruit machines in pubs much, you need A levels to understand how they work.
This was a long time ago mind.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Not a fan.

As we know, gambling works on a 'win-lose' premise - that is for someone to win, someone else must lose. And professional gamblers aside, it's often the small individual and those who can least afford to lose it.

A 'win-win' relationship where someone offers a good/service in exchange for money, which can then go on to pay for other goods/services and benefit more people as well as growing the economy would seem much better and fairer all round.

It doesn't help to present a balanced view with realistic chances of success and failure when we are naturally so keen to share what we've won through gambling, but often much less forthcoming to disclose our losses.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
I used to have a problem with gambling, I knew I had one but still couldn't stop it. The amount of times I would tell myself, just a quick bet and it won't be no more than £20. Before you knew it I was betting and playing roulette and was £500 down. I have had days where I have lost £3-4k and still went back the next day. I won't go into the whole story as its to long, but I can confidently say without any bullshit that I must be at least 100k MINIMUM. The worst thing to do is to win when you first go in there as you think it's easy. It's the most ridiculous thing in the world to have an addiction that makes you throw money away and you still cannot stop it. The bookies are open early and close late, even on Sundays. They are everywhere, I even started online betting, fruit machines, roulette, blackjack etc. One day I cut up all my cards, even my business one. I literally had no access to easy money, I could go into the bank still and withdraw or transfer money online but that was about it. The temptation to gamble is not as strong when you have to go to a bank a queue up. To this day I don't take my card out with me, though I must admit the temptation is not really there anymore.
The most silliest thing is the buzz I got was not from winning money, it was not knowing if I would. It was the chasing of losses. I have never done anything that I could not control, that's why I have never taken a drug(apart from weed years ago) and never really been a lover of alcohol. Unfortunately I never realised that throwing money away could become a habit.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
My dad was a bookmaker so I grew up around it. He made it very clear from an early age that I wasn't to get involved in it. Aside from the odd fiver on an accumulator at the football it's not for me. He's retired at 53 and living abroad so I suppose didn't do too badly out of it.

D

Deleted User X18H

My old man used to work in a bookies - Victor Chandler's at the top of Viaduct Rd. He said that a few times a year, he would shut up shop and see blokes crying because they'd blown all their week's wages. It was a salutary lesson to me, I've not been a big gambler. I was the school bookie instead. As my dad said, you never see a poor bookie.

Not so sure. Colin?? Who owned CT Bookmakers in Livingstone Road Hove was pretty unlucky.

The day after Frankie's 7 a young bloke had a 10p Super Yankee and picked the next five winners on the horses.

Colin was shaking his hand until Tote Credit rang back to advise his (lay off) bet on the last one two runners hadn't gone through due to him being over his credit limit,

You could hear him sniffling out the back.

Also as it was on my way home from the station I went in one evening again late 90's, in early days of televised evening racing and this quite pissed up geezer is doing forecasts.

However, he wrote the wrong time and meeting down. Intending to do two fav's he ended up with a reverse forecast ( just writing the numbers) on 20/1 and 33/1 ....maybe 40's

£5 reverse. He even tried to get Colin's dad on duty behind the counter to refund it after the off.

It was just a formality really. Can't remember what it paid. Probably around £700 to a pound.

Colin's dad had to ring Colin and let him know. Think Colin lived in Portslade he had to come back with his cheque book.

Colin sold out in 2000 to Ladbrokes for a fraction of what he paid Sam Harris 7 years earlier.

Even the Ladbrokes has gone now.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Good mate of mine won a share of 4.4 million on the Lottery in 2006 ,bought his House outright and luckily his mother lives there. Over the 10 years he is now down to his wages to live off.He estimated in winnings and losses he had gambled over £500,000 doing 20 bets over at least £10,000. His worse loss was £31,000 on a double. On the other hand a lad i grew up with formed a company called Asian logic with 2 mates which runs The Asian Poker Tour. They also formed an online betting company which they sold . He now is worth a reputed $1.5 Billion ,so he gambled well.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
My dad used to do the horses and play cards. He was never any good at it and it caused more harm than good, so it has never appealed to me.

That said I knew someone whose dad was a bookmaker and a 33/1 “dead cert” came up and I put £5 on for the hell of it and it came in. I told my dad of this just in conversation and he got upset that I didn’t tell him about it. I tried to explain to him it was luck and not really a dead cert but he persuaded me, reluctantly, to let him know when another came up. When another tip came up I told him about it and he placed some unknown amount of cash on. Low and behold it lost and he held me responsible for it.

He was the sort of person who would have gambled more than he could afford if he felt his luck was due. God knows what he put on but I wasn't in his good books :shrug:

I also had a friend who remortgaged a house he inherited when all this internet betting started and he thought he had a winning system to take bets.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Good mate of mine won a share of 4.4 million on the Lottery in 2006 ,bought his House outright and luckily his mother lives there. Over the 10 years he is now down to his wages to live off.He estimated in winnings and losses he had gambled over £500,000 doing 20 bets over at least £10,000. His worse loss was £31,000 on a double. On the other hand a lad i grew up with formed a company called Asian logic with 2 mates which runs The Asian Poker Tour. They also formed an online betting company which they sold . He now is worth a reputed $1.5 Billion ,so he gambled well.

That's the difference between a bookie and a punter!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
It holds no attraction for me, i have never gambled to the point i have never even bought a lottery ticket.
I'm fed up with the intrusive advertising for gambling site on the internet to the point i sometime think is it just me who does not gamble.
When younger and times were harder i thought i was just too tight to gamble and now later in life and now more comfortable its no longer an issue but i just don't see the buzz or excitement of gambling.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
It holds no attraction for me, i have never gambled to the point i have never even bought a lottery ticket.
I'm fed up with the intrusive advertising for gambling site on the internet to the point i sometime think is it just me who does not gamble.
When younger and times were harder i thought i was just too tight to gamble and now later in life and now more comfortable its no longer an issue but i just don't see the buzz or excitement of gambling.

Same here, I've never gambled or placed a bet in my life. A completely alien world to me that just holds no appeal whatsoever. Equally I've never owned a credit card or used any form of credit because I don't believe in spending money that isn't mine, maybe there's a link there somewhere....

edit - mortgage excepted.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Good friend of mine is a professional gambler, but only bets on the greyhounds, and at Monmore pretty much exclusively. At a meeting he'll tell me what he's betting, normally 1 selection and a couple of saves, on Betfair where the odds are generally much better. Obviously I bet lower stakes than him, but average around £600 profit a month, of course there's ups and downs. Don't have any inclination to bet on anything else really. I do Matched Betting as well which is totally different, but easy for me to keep the two things separate. Both nice little earners. I agree with what others have said, most sports teams seem to be sponsored by a bookmaker, and you can literally bet on any aspect of a match, all match, and the FOBT's which make the bookies money are a disaster for those susceptible to them. People can easily blow their wages in a couple of minutes.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Same here, I've never gambled or placed a bet in my life. A completely alien world to me that just holds no appeal whatsoever. Equally I've never owned a credit card or used any form of credit because I don't believe in spending money that isn't mine, maybe there's a link there somewhere....

edit - mortgage excepted.

We are kindred spirits ! :)
But i use a lot of credit cards as for past lives i used them for business purposes and when i needed to make a capital purchase, car, kitchen etc i would take advantage of the no interest periods.
Have never paid interest on one hence never had any luck claiming PPI back :).
Maybe there is a link.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here