Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gaetan Bong

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Agree with all that IG ..but would add that some of it us lot bring a bit too impatient for example Duffy being written off after 2 matches ..sometimes I don't think we realise what a good level of football our lot are on

I'm not sure anyone wrote him off but there were quite a few who were surprised we chose to spend that much on a centre back when Goldson and Dunk had been so good last season. Judging by his performances so far though he is worth every penny. We look so dominant at the back, especially at set pieces, and he's a major part of that.

GooGull

Aug 14, 2016
I think the signing of Pocagnoli has given GB the motivation to up his performance levels. Always liked his before his injury but was concerned he may not reach that level again, not bothered now I think he's certainly getting there.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Roseniors injury made no difference as Bong is the best and No 1 left back at the club and I think that CH believes that as well and if there is to be competition for his place it will come from Pocognoli even when LR is fit.

It's not relevant who is best at left back (I would say they are pretty equal), Bong's form was poor enough early season that Hughton would have been forced to play Rosenior at left back, once we signed Duffy, if he hadn't got injured.

Overall, I think Liam is more steady but Bong offers more going forward, as he is quicker and left footed. Either way, they are both great options to have in the squad.

Also, if Rosenior hadn't got injured, I don't think we'd have signed Pocognoli. It sounds like the injury forced us to bring in another full back.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
It's not relevant who is best at left back (I would say they are pretty equal), Bong's form was poor enough early season that Hughton would have been forced to play Rosenior at left back, once we signed Duffy, if he hadn't got injured.

Overall, I think Liam is more steady but Bong offers more going forward, as he is quicker and left footed. Either way, they are both great options to have in the squad.

Spot on, Bong is very good but his form was so poor he would have lost his place had we had a fit alternative. He was lucky at that time that we didnt, glad to see his form returning.

And for whats its worth Rosenior is still better than Bong, you just wouldnt get those differences in level of performance from Rosenior that we have seen from Bong.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont agree that his form 'was poor' he wasnt at the same standard as pre injury but was improving with every game getting back to that level so there would have been no possibility of him being dropped. Pocognoli was brought in because of LR injury IMHO with CH having learnt from last season.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I dont agree that his form 'was poor' he wasnt at the same standard as pre injury but was improving with every game getting back to that level so there would have been no possibility of him being dropped. Pocognoli was brought in because of LR injury IMHO with CH having learnt from last season.

Christ how bad would Bong have to be to lose his place in the side if his form was not considered poor !

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Its all about opinions and the one that mattered CH said a ll along that he was happy with Bong and his recovery from the injury despite many on here slagging him off.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Its all about opinions and the one that mattered CH said a ll along that he was happy with Bong and his recovery from the injury despite many on here slagging him off.

He had to be happy with him, we didnt have an alternate choice, CH would never publicly criticise Bong he is far too good a manager for that, but I have no doubt that behind closed doors Hughton had a strong word about his form

Lush

Mods' Pet
Geatan Bong, bang a gong, Gaetan Bong clap clap clap, clap clap clap (to the tune of Get It On by T Rex for younger viewers). Also how many assists this season? Seems to be a master of the fast, less obvious cross.

7oaksgull

Jan 3, 2010
Sevenoaks, Kent
Away at Southend in the League Cup last year a guy behind me was trying to get this going:

(To the tune of 'Pass the Dutchie')

Pass the football down the left hand side,
Pass the football down the left hand side,
It's Gaetan Bong, he plays for Brighton & Hove Albion,
It's Gaetan Bong, He plays for Brighton & Hove Albion.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
The suggestions for chants and songs on here are usually cringeworthily bad. THAT is fantastic.

Wait till December and we could sing something seasonal...

This would be for those on the East and West upper only mind.

We could 'Sing BONG merrily on high'

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Geatan Bong, bang a gong, Gaetan Bong clap clap clap, clap clap clap (to the tune of Get It On by T Rex for younger viewers). Also how many assists this season? Seems to be a master of the fast, less obvious cross.

This one. definitely

Although i am not convinced by that second line about 'how many assists' Doesn't scan

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I absolutely LOVED Duffy's reaction, he was FUMING. Never seen an Albion defense so passionate about conceding a last minute goal, that really wasn't gonna change the result.

I liked how it was all about conceding that goal and not directed at a teammate. Maybe they're being reminded that it was 1 goal that cost us last season and they don't want it to happen again if they can help it?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Stockdale looked so dejected when walking off the pitch having had a very good game. He was another one getting stick from some on here a few weeks ago and has proved them wrong.

It's okay, they will disappear from NSC for a while, lick their wounds, and after the next defeat will be crucifying one or other player that they 'always didn't rate' like flies round a freshly laid PLOP.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
A fair few of us on the official match thread were saying how important that win and the manner of it was on Saturday. Bong sounded like he is building a great rapport with Stockdale who played a blinder having had a very quiet last few games.

Bong's improvements and confidence-building, Sidwell getting man of the match, Norwood's 2nd half performance, Murphy and Baldock's all round play - this will all raise their morale and help them keep pushing for a place in the starting line-up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here