Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gaetan Bong

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
It's okay, they will disappear from NSC for a while, lick their wounds, and after the next defeat will be crucifying one or other player that they 'always didn't rate' like flies round a freshly laid PLOP.

Sadly that is true. Post Brentford there was much criticism of the team and moaning about various players (some of it fair but most of it massively over the top). Very few of those people have been on here since except for a few after Ipswich moaning about us being defensive. It makes NSC even better when we win as the negativity disappears!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
He had to be happy with him, we didnt have an alternate choice, CH would never publicly criticise Bong he is far too good a manager for that, but I have no doubt that behind closed doors Hughton had a strong word about his form

Exactly this. Rosenior got injured just as we bought Duffy and Goldson came back. I am 99.9% sure that Rosenior would have started at Newcastle if he had not got injured in the game at Reading.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
From the Argus

The Gaetan Bong to Anthony Knockaert link has provided more goals than any other such combination in the division so far this season, according to stats-based website whoscored.com.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Its all about opinions and the one that mattered CH said a ll along that he was happy with Bong and his recovery from the injury despite many on here slagging him off.

The only 'slagging off' I saw was after some of his poor performances - which people had every right to rationally criticise. Same with Duffy in first few games. Many of us do have the ability to criticise when appropriate & praise when appropriate rather than nailing our colours to a mast & stubbonly sticking with them...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The only 'slagging off' I saw was after some of his poor performances - which people had every right to rationally criticise. Same with Duffy in first few games. Many of us do have the ability to criticise when appropriate & praise when appropriate rather than nailing our colours to a mast & stubbonly sticking with them...

Agreed. And a lot of the criticism also referenced Bong's fantastic start for Brighton until his long-term injury. He had an instant connection with KLL and the pair of them were unstoppable at times. I'm glad Bong has proven me wrong as I wanted the West Brom lad in but there is no denying that Bong's first few games for us coming back were very poor.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
When they are all fit we will have a defensive squad of:

Dunk, Duffy, Bruno, Bong, LR, Poco, Goldson, Uwe and Hunt.

Best in the division imo and definitely the best we've had in the Championship.

Owlstalk were drooling over the Dunk / Duffy partnership and saying that Dunk is the best player they've seen at Hillsborough in years (and definitely the best CB in the Championship).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
and yet 3 games into Solly's return we'll be doing this all over again.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Its all about opinions and the one that mattered CH said a ll along that he was happy with Bong and his recovery from the injury despite many on here slagging him off.

Always gives me a little chuckle when someone quotes, 'many on here'. Even the most popular threads where a player is getting dogs abuse will probably only see 30-40 NSC posters at most having a pop which is hardly a representative opinion when you consider we are getting attendances of 25000 each home game. I think most people understood Bong had couple of poor games but most reasonable fans were prepared to let him regain his form and get back to his best. I have to admit I wasn't saying too many complimentary things about Duffy after his first few games but it seems he's learned our style of play and is now flourishing in a very good team and set-up, he must be chuffed to have left Blackburn and join a positive team on the up.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Away at Southend in the League Cup last year a guy behind me was trying to get this going:

(To the tune of 'Pass the Dutchie')

Pass the football down the left hand side,
It's Gaetan Bong, he plays for Brighton & Hove Albion,
It's Gaetan Bong, He plays for Brighton & Hove Albion.

There are so many good potential Bong songs.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?338380-Song-for-Bong&highlight=pass+the+dutchie

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?327756-Song-for-Bong

I like the idea of The Imperial March-

Bong Bong Bong
Bong Bong
Bong
Gaetan Bong

Bong Bong Bong
Bong Bong
Bong
Gaetan Bong

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So now Bong has become popular again, let's sort out his contract along with Stephens, Kayal and Stockdale.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Away at Southend in the League Cup last year a guy behind me was trying to get this going:

(To the tune of 'Pass the Dutchie')

It's Gaetan Bong, he plays for Brighton & Hove Albion,
It's Gaetan Bong, He plays for Brighton & Hove Albion.

Love that one.
It actually scans.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
His performance as a second half sub against charlton at The Valley was one of the worst I have seen in an Albion shirt. Really pleased to see him recovering some semblance of form

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

To a degree...but surely a player who was judged onSkysports last season as best LB in Championship has a right to have a few games after a long injury to get back into the groove? GB was terrible in a few games, so you would argue, I guess, that it is OK to point that out; fair enough but could it not be qualified that he needs match practice? Nailing colours is two edged: those who nail their criticism to a mast too early could mitigate their comments. I don't see much humble pie eaten now GB is performing at a higher level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here