Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Future Managers

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Drogba should be in a position to step up into Gus' shoes, in a couple of years.

Are you not getting bored of putting Drogba into every single one of your posts?

it doesn't make it any less tedious, either.

It's taken the best part of 2 weeks before someone finally pulled me up on it.
I was starting to believe it myself!

I was rather enjoying it :)
Yeah me too, until [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] came along and spoiled ALL my fun. :lol:
Imagine the fun I could have had in 'next seasons odds' 'season tickets' and the French presidential vote, threads.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Interesting question. How many of today's top managers were top players as well? Not many.

A manager needs to be intelligent, tactful, a good communicator, a people person, diplomatic, motivational, student of the game etc. So that rules out every player in the current England Squad and very definately Messrs Beckham, Giggs and Scholes. I'm afraid that Mr Beckham's first foray into player motivation (SA 2010) did not go all that well.

I don't know if there will be another Fergie - there are not many clubs around that would give a manager that long in charge.

But if there is one, it will be someone very few people have heard of or perhaps a very good player whose career was cut short through injury ala Clough.

We can rule out Garry Neville then on several counts! Unless being a **** makes you a top class manager.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
So do we have to go all the way back to Kevin Keegan, an England player in 1982, to find one that has achieved anything of note as a manager?

I think we are, yes. Is Terry Venables the last England player to have actually won anything as a manager?

How many of the top managers in the world at the moment, not just English, were top players themselves? Mancini, Guardiola, Dalglish (not a top manager, but at a "big" club). Who else? Ferguson wasn't, Wenger wasn't, Mourinho wasn't, Hiddink wasn't.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Interesting question. How many of today's top managers were top players as well? Not many.

A manager needs to be intelligent, tactful, a good communicator, a people person, diplomatic, motivational, student of the game etc. So that rules out every player in the current England Squad and very definately Messrs Beckham, Giggs and Scholes. I'm afraid that Mr Beckham's first foray into player motivation (SA 2010) did not go all that well.

I don't know if there will be another Fergie - there are not many clubs around that would give a manager that long in charge.

But if there is one, it will be someone very few people have heard of or perhaps a very good player whose career was cut short through injury ala Clough.

So are you saying that Ferguson (regrettably the most successful League manager in England) is tactful, a good communicator, a people person and diplomatic, or for that matter that Brian Clough fell into those categories?

Perhaps you would now like to edit your job spec.

As for dismissing the whole of the England squad, firstly, they are probably far wealthier than their predecesors and that itself might make them less motivated to move into the cooking pot that is management however, I would suggest that Lampard could be a good manager, maybe Barry, Cahill and probably Scott Parker.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Terry?? :facepalm:

If banging a metaphorical drum and roaring at players is the key to success then Terry will be top of the tree in no time, but I see him as being little different to Bryan Robson or- shudder- Tony Adams. All about fist pumping and "get stuck in, lads", but no tactical brains. And probably not much respect from his players, these days.

Gerrard too: nothing I've seen about him suggests he'll make a good manager. But that probably won't stop the Scousers chanting his name in a few years once it's dawned on them that King Kenny was out of date in 1990.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
So are you saying that Ferguson (regrettably the most successful League manager in England) is tactful, a good communicator, a people person and diplomatic, or for that matter that Brian Clough fell into those categories?

Perhaps you would now like to edit your job spec.

As for dismissing the whole of the England squad, firstly, they are probably far wealthier than their predecesors and that itself might make them less motivated to move into the cooking pot that is management however, I would suggest that Lampard could be a good manager, maybe Barry, Cahill and probably Scott Parker.

Sadly, yes, this is what I am saying. Fergie is all of those things. The most important things that Fergie manages are his players and there have not been that many that have left Man Utd over the years that have slagged him off. As much as I detest the guy, he obviously has something about him as a manager. I cannot believe that he has won all of those trophies through a combination of luck and threats!

As for the current England Squad, it is rather difficult to tell as I have yet to hear any of them say anything remotely inciteful or thoughtful which would make me think that they would become a decent manager. Certainly none of them will have to go into management for financial reasons, that's for sure. I hope that the only thing JT will end up managing is a lap dancing club.

Oct 25, 2003
recent england players who have managed:

-Gareth Southgate (2002,2000,1998,1996 Squad)....pretty poor managerial record
-Nicky Barmby (2000,1996 Squad)....decent start to his career but at championship level (decent though, not amazing)
-Dennis Wise (2000 Squad)....did ok at swindon and leeds....not managed since
-Paul Ince (2000,1998,1996 Squad)....had a good start at a lower level but seemed to crumble when given a shot higher up and hasn't recovered since
-Alan Shearer (2000,1998, 1996, 1992, Squad)....after being linked with the newcastle job since the age of about 12 he didn't really make the most of his (brief) spell in charge, failing to save them from relegation
-Tony Adams (2000,1998,1996 Squad)....oh dear
-Paul Merson (1998, 1992 Squad)....had a pretty unspectacular spell at Walsall
-Paul Gascoigne (1996, 1990 Squad)...had a brief spell in charge of non-league Kettering
-David Platt (1996, 1992, 1990 Squad)...managed in italy and here but has been fairly poor....also coached england u-21's
-Stuart Pearce (1996, 1992, 1990 Squad)...had a reasonable time at man city and england u-21's
-Carlton Palmer (1992 Squad)...managed Stockport and was shit
-Nigel Clough (1992 Squad)....good non-league record and has been reasonable at Derby (reasonable)
- Mark Wright (1992, 1990, 1988 Squad)....has managed a few lower league sides without a massive amount of success
- Steve Mcmahon (1990 Squad)...has managed both here and in Australia..."meh"
- John Barnes (1990 Squad)....no no no no no
-Chris Waddle (1990 Squad)...had a brief, unsuccessful managerial career
-Bryan Robson (1990 Squad)...started off well at Middlesbrough, has been pretty mediocre since then
-Terry Butcher (1990 Squad)....meh...
-Peter Shilton (1990 Squad)....:(
-Mark Hately (1988 Squad)....:(
- Glenn Hoddle (1988 Squad)....FOUND ONE!!!!!!!!

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Who was the last England player to be an above average manager in the top division?

It surprises me that England players with the most caps have been very unsuccessful in management
Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore, Peter Shilton, Bryan Robson to name but a few
To become a good manager requires patience and a great deal of luck in being at the right place at the right time
I think the best players don't have this patience in reaching the top of the management ladder and have too many outside interests/influences

One player who I think will become a good manager is Clarence Seedorf, this bloke is a born winner
However it appears the good guys don't win in football management, time will tell
Puyol is another and is well respected by his fellow pros

Binep

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
I agree with Edna but the thing is its about basically preparing your mind for the thing that we need most of the times so that we can get to have what we need.If someone can put their level best they can experience things sensibly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here