Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Fury Vs Wilder 3

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
AJ then Usyk or the other way round and those should be Fury’s last 2 fights and then retire. At the top. That’s what I’d do.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
AJ then Usyk or the other way round and those should be Fury’s last 2 fights and then retire. At the top. That’s what I’d do.

I'm not sure there's anything left in Fury vs AJ. For that to happen, Joshua would have to beat Usyk to take control of the belts to tee up a fight with Fury to unify the belts. Even if that were to happen, gone is the mystique over who would win - it now feels like it would simply be a formality for Fury. I'd watch it, no doubt, but it wouldn't be the mega fight that was touted a year or two ago.

Regardless, I don't think Joshua will beat Usyk - I think he loses again. In that event, as incredible a boxer as Usyk clearly is, I can't see a 6ft 3" man troubling 6ft 9" Fury and so it seems inevitable that's where the belts end up.

At that point, I'm not sure there would be any points left to prove amongst the smouldering wreckage of the heavyweight division he'd have left in his wake, and I'm not sure there would be much point in anything other than undefeated retirement at that point.

I don't see any more than 2 or 3 fights left for Fury, and I certainly don't see him losing any of them. He's just too good, too well rounded. Incredible really.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Both fighters are a shadow of real fighters and look like buckets of flab. A disgrace to the past fighters and a disgrace to the
noble art.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm not sure there's anything left in Fury vs AJ. For that to happen, Joshua would have to beat Usyk to take control of the belts to tee up a fight with Fury to unify the belts. Even if that were to happen, gone is the mystique over who would win - it now feels like it would simply be a formality for Fury. I'd watch it, no doubt, but it wouldn't be the mega fight that was touted a year or two ago.

Regardless, I don't think Joshua will beat Usyk - I think he loses again. In that event, as incredible a boxer as Usyk clearly is, I can't see a 6ft 3" man troubling 6ft 9" Fury and so it seems inevitable that's where the belts end up.

At that point, I'm not sure there would be any points left to prove amongst the smouldering wreckage of the heavyweight division he'd have left in his wake, and I'm not sure there would be much point in anything other than undefeated retirement at that point.

I don't see any more than 2 or 3 fights left for Fury, and I certainly don't see him losing any of them. He's just too good, too well rounded. Incredible really.

Yeh so ideally fight Usyk once and beat him (assuming he beats AJ again) and then just for a career closer fight AJ just to prove it - and give the fans something.. That’s what I’d try and do. Then retire at the top.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Both fighters are a shadow of real fighters and look like buckets of flab. A disgrace to the past fighters and a disgrace to the
noble art.

Of course. Wilder resembles Mike Gatting.

Last night was probably the best heavyweight fight since Bowe vs Holyfield, perhaps even better. Buckets of flab can’t give and receive that amount of punishment for 30+ minutes without being very well conditioned.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

On that point (and admittedly, I know nothing about boxing) - but was Fury carrying a lot of surplus fat around his mid-rift? He's only 33 but he seemed to have acres of middle-aged spread for someone in elite fighting condition. Obviously it didn't hamper his stamina. as he went 11 brutal rounds and seemed to be getting stronger as the bout went on, but he appeared to be carrying a lot of additional weight in an area of no obvious benefit to a fighter.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Of course. Wilder resembles Mike Gatting.

Last night was probably the best heavyweight fight since Bowe vs Holyfield, perhaps even better. Buckets of flab can’t give and receive that amount of punishment for 30+ minutes without being very well conditioned.

Well maybe it would have been better if they'd actually been fit. Boxing has become a joke, an utter f*****g joke of a sport.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
On that point (and admittedly, I know nothing about boxing) - but was Fury carrying a lot of surplus fat around his mid-rift? He's only 33 but he seemed to have acres of middle-aged spread for someone in elite fighting condition. Obviously it didn't hamper his stamina. as he went 11 brutal rounds and seemed to be getting stronger as the bout went on, but he appeared to be carrying a lot of additional weight in an area of no obvious benefit to a fighter.

When you’ve weighed close to 30 stone you get excess skin around that area. His skin around the gut expanded during his heaviest days.

It doesn’t look great, but it’s just baggy skin, I have no doubt he would have just a fraction of the gut without it.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Yeh so ideally fight Usyk once and beat him (assuming he beats AJ again) and then just for a career closer fight AJ just to prove it - and give the fans something.. That’s what I’d try and do. Then retire at the top.

Maybe you're right, it just seems a shame that any AJ fight will be a shadow of what it could have been in terms of a spectacle. That said, I think at least we now know how it would have ended, so that's an itch scratched nonetheless, even if indirectly.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Fury has never been "chiselled" in the classic sense in his entire career, but it never affects his performance. You look at the physique of Frank Bruno and you'd think he'd be indestructible, but Fury would absolutely dismantle him (as did a 'softer' looking Tim Witherspoon back in the day). And lets not even go into the AJ-Ruiz zone, where the bodybuilder got splattered by the Burger King.

I do agree, Fury looks far from a top athlete. But it takes more than having a six-pack to be heavyweight champion of the world. Ask George Foreman. So there's hope for us all :)

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Fury has never been "chiselled" in the classic sense in his entire career, but it never affects his performance. You look at the physique of Frank Bruno and you'd think he'd be indestructible, but Fury would absolutely dismantle him (as did a 'softer' looking Tim Witherspoon back in the day). And lets not even go into the AJ-Ruiz zone, where the bodybuilder got splattered by the Burger King.

I do agree, Fury looks far from a top athlete. But it takes more than having a six-pack to be heavyweight champion of the world. Ask George Foreman. So there's hope for us all :)

Fair enough Easy. I accept that an big nuts view also.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well maybe it would have been better if they'd actually been fit. Boxing has become a joke, an utter f*****g joke of a sport.

Did you actually watch that fight ? Two blokes slugging it out for an absolutely EPIC 11 rounds, both of them taking a truly fearsome pounding, Wilder in particular. How he stayed on his feet defied belief at times, that was heart and courage of a scale NONE of us on our little keyboards, including you, could ever hope to achieve. It was one of the best fights in living memory. If they weren't fit, then that would not have been the incredible contest it was.

"A joke of a sport" ? Seriously - you don't even know what you're watching.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

Oh, clearly he did. Let's not forget that not that long ago he was 27 stone. Ok, he's 6ft 9" which is pretty colossal, but even still that's an absolutely massive weight (roughly 8 stone heavier than he is right now, with his 'slightly pudgy' midriff'). His body has been through one hell of a lot of upheaval.

Evidently, there's a lot more to boxing than pure athleticism - evidently the likes of Joshua and Wilder look infinitely fitter and more athletic than the likes of Andy Ruiz and Tyson Fury who have slain them regardless. In the case of Fury, I genuinely think it largely comes down to the fact that he is a thoroughbred fighter - it's literally in his blood. Add to that the fact that nature, perhaps freakishly, happened to make him 6ft 9", and you start to get close to why he's such a problem for the heavyweight division. He's a natural born fighter, and he just happens to be fùcking massive - not to take anything away from the bloke's heart and mental strength which is also clearly on a different plain.

That said, one thing I can't fathom, is how the likes of Fury and Ruiz can carry so much body fat and get by in terms of stamina. You're absolutely right that such excess weight is surely slowing them down, tiring them out. Of course, it adds weight behind the punch, but the level of fitness it must take to get to the kind of sub 10% body fat of Joshua and Wilder, whilst being physically so strong, it is slightly mysterious to me that there isn't more of an advantage there.

Sports scientists, feel free to chime in and educate me here, 'cos it's something I don't fully understand. It does though, make Fury an even more intriguing spectacle to watch.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Oh, clearly he did. Let's not forget that not that long ago he was 27 stone. Ok, he's 6ft 9" which is pretty colossal, but even still that's an absolutely massive weight (roughly 8 stone heavier than he is right now, with his 'slightly pudgy' midriff'). His body has been through one hell of a lot of upheaval.

Evidently, there's a lot more to boxing than pure athleticism - evidently the likes of Joshua and Wilder look infinitely fitter and more athletic than the likes of Andy Ruiz and Tyson Fury who have slain them regardless. In the case of Fury, I genuinely think it largely comes down to the fact that he is a thoroughbred fighter - it's literally in his blood. Add to that the fact that nature, perhaps freakishly, happened to make him 6ft 9", and you start to get close to why he's such a problem for the heavyweight division. He's a natural born fighter, and he just happens to be fùcking massive - not to take anything away from the bloke's heart and mental strength which is also clearly on a different plain.

That said, one thing I can't fathom, is how the likes of Fury and Ruiz can carry so much body fat and get by in terms of stamina. You're absolutely right that such excess weight is surely slowing them down, tiring them out. Of course, it adds weight behind the punch, but the level of fitness it must take to get to the kind of sub 10% body fat of Joshua and Wilder, whilst being physically so strong, it is slightly mysterious to me that there isn't more of an advantage there.

Sports scientists, feel free to chime in and educate me here, 'cos it's something I don't fully understand. It does though, make Fury an even more intriguing spectacle to watch.

The more muscular you are the more your body needs oxygen. It’s why a bodybuilder physique a’la Bruno & Joshua ‘gas’ earlier in fights.

The best marathon runners are toned and not muscle bound.

Fury’s mid-rift is as much excess skin as fat.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Did you actually watch that fight ? Two blokes slugging it out for an absolutely EPIC 11 rounds, both of them taking a truly fearsome pounding, Wilder in particular. How he stayed on his feet defied belief at times, that was heart and courage of a scale NONE of us on our little keyboards, including you, could ever hope to achieve. It was one of the best fights in living memory. If they weren't fit, then that would not have been the incredible contest it was.

"A joke of a sport" ? Seriously - you don't even know what you're watching.

100%. The bollocking I was getting when I turned out of bed at 4:30am this morning to watch the fight, in case I woke the kids up, was absolutely worth it. If the first round was cagey, everything after was absolutely monumental.

I've still been getting shít all day about going down at that time and cracking open a couple of cans, but it was one of those situations where forgiveness was always going to be easier to obtain than permission.

I don't even think you had to be a massive boxing fan to have enjoyed that fight, it was just so utterly brilliant and courageous from both men. I'd have been gutted to have missed it. Sadly, given the late / early start time, many will. I really hope Fury returns to the UK for his remaining fights - he's conquered the States and I'd pay good money to see the man in the flesh - all 19 stone of it.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Feel a bit sorry for Wilder, giving up a 40lbs advantage was never going to be easy. Yes I know size advantage hasn't always been decisive in some fighters, but in Fury's it was, with his constant leaning and mauling which wore out Wilder in the end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here