Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Fury Vs Wilder 3

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Fury is clearly a better boxer than AJ and would in all likelihood beat him (if they ever fight). However, Fury is not a massive puncher by heavyweight standards, AJ is a big puncher and a taller opponent (like Fury) would suit him better than a shorter opponent (Usyk, Ruiz). AJ would also need to realise that he can't outbox Fury and fight appropriately, the key word being fight!

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Sorry DJ but got to disagree with you on that, AJ has been nurtured on almost Frank Bruno proportions.

From day one they never had any intention of fighting Fury or Wilder because they knew the outcome, which would have made any rematch clause immaterial.

I went to Spurs this the other week, when the genie truly came out of the lamp, I actually called it in AJ’s ring walk which was a fusion between Kinnock at Sheffield in 1992 and Phil Taylor walking on at the darts.

Fury has one maybe two fights left, Usyk perhaps but I think first he will fight Whyte next spring at his beloved Manchester United.

Totally agree with the first para here.

Joshua has had a very carefully manufactured build to the top - and when he got there he was found seriously wanting. Very like Bruno - who got there in the end but mainly through careful management rather than pure ability.

Fury has done the hard yards in a way Joshua never has. Couldn't imagine him ever fighting a Klitschko on away turf for example.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Do you think AJ, himself, would duck a fight? I don’t think so. He’s a genuine warrior. His team might think otherwise though , I agree.

It’s hard to call when fury’s time is up. He says himself he will be very down when it’s all over. I reckon five more fights with the odd retirement in between.

Yes, yes i do think AJ and his team duck fighters. It's what he has been doing all his career. AJ is just a big body builder who is an average heavyweight. He wouldn't have been a top 10 heavyweight in the 60's and 70s.

A genuine warrior... again can't think of a fighter who is less of a warrior other than a Audrey Harrison. Chisora, Whyte, Wilder all have more heart.

Fury would destroy AJ and i don't think he will want that fight. IMO Wilder would also win but it will be a little closer.

AJ has made a decent amount of money for not doing very much. The one good fight AJ fans hark back to is the win over Klitchko. Klitchko was 10 years passed his prime and wasn't even the better brother. Vitali was far better.

Take your money AJ and retire to being on sports quiz shows.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
What a great fight!

Fair play to Wilder, he finally brought something to the ring. That was a tremendously gutsy and brave performance by him. Shame he ruined it all by continuing to be such a dick out of the ring.

As for Fury, his powers of recovery and endurance are insane. Took some big, big shots, got knocked down, got back up and went in for more and battered Wilder from pillar to post by the end.

Such a shame that AJ blew it so spectacularly against Usyk. That would have been such a monumentally big fight, arguably the biggest sporting event on British soil since the 66 world cup final.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
What a great fight!

Fair play to Wilder, he finally brought something to the ring. That was a tremendously gutsy and brave performance by him. Shame he ruined it all by continuing to be such a dick out of the ring.

As for Fury, his powers of recovery and endurance are insane. Took some big, big shots, got knocked down, got back up and went in for more and battered Wilder from pillar to post by the end.

Such a shame that AJ blew it so spectacularly against Usyk. That would have been such a monumentally big fight, arguably the biggest sporting event on British soil since the 66 world cup final.

But that’s the whole point Goldstone Gaz, whilst AJ might have wanted to fight Fury his management team and promoter would have put up any number of obstacles, then taken lesser fights to avoid the shattering defeat that is there for all boxing fans to see.

The same reason why he didn’t fight Wilder or have a rematch with Whyte.

There’s more chance of Big Daddy fighting Giant Haystacks at Wembley in the next 5 years than Fury vs AJ.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
But that’s the whole point Goldstone Gaz, whilst AJ might have wanted to fight Fury his management team and promoter would have put up any number of obstacles, then taken lesser fights to avoid the shattering defeat that is there for all boxing fans to see.

There’s more chance of Big Daddy fighting Giant Haystacks at Wembley in the next 5 years than Fury vs AJ.

I dont concur at all.

I 100% believe it was Wilder who bottled that fight, he was making a nice living fighting bums and gimmes, the only reason he went for Fury when he first did was he was overweight, mentally not there and had been out of the ring years. It was Wilder making the excuses.

AJ Fury was a done deal..... it was Wilder that got the legal injunction to force their trilogy scuppering that.

Yes, maybe Eddie Hearn may not have wanted to put two of his fighters in the ring avoiding the Whyte rematch, as it makes no sense for one of your star attractions to beat another, in the same way F1 teams discourage team mates going too hard against each other and the reason the Kiltichko brothers never fought each other. It makes a lot more sense in every way for Whyte to go after the mandatory of the other belt

If AJ had of beaten Uysk and Whyte gets the WBC mandatory (and wins) I have no doubt then Hearn wouldve santioned the fight.

At the end of the day Hearn works for AJ not the other way around, and as much as AJ's boxing deficiencies have been shown up a little, he's not a bottler and he hasnt shirked anyone.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I did think that after I posted - I think there will be pressures from his family to call time sooner rather than later - but Fury says himself he needs something to focus on to avoid his depression so seems a bit catch 22

The chance to unify the division is one or two fights away potentially. Whatever he says about not being that bothered, I'm not buying it, he's on the verge of hall of fame greatness.

Shirly a shoe in now for something in the next royal honours list.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I dont concur at all.

I 100% believe it was Wilder who bottled that fight, he was making a nice living fighting bums and gimmes, the only reason he went for Fury when he first did was he was overweight, mentally not there and had been out of the ring years. It was Wilder making the excuses.

AJ Fury was a done deal..... it was Wilder that got the legal injunction to force their trilogy scuppering that.

Yes, maybe Eddie Hearn may not have wanted to put two of his fighters in the ring avoiding the Whyte rematch, as it makes no sense for one of your star attractions to beat another, in the same way F1 teams discourage team mates going too hard against each other and the reason the Kiltichko brothers never fought each other. It makes a lot more sense in every way for Whyte to go after the mandatory of the other belt

If AJ had of beaten Uysk and Whyte gets the WBC mandatory (and wins) I have no doubt then Hearn wouldve santioned the fight.

At the end of the day Hearn works for AJ not the other way around, and as much as AJ's boxing deficiencies have been shown up a little, he's not a bottler and he hasnt shirked anyone.

Isn’t it a bit contradictory to say Hearn works for AJ not vice verse, but then say Hearn wouldn’t put him against Whyte again.

I still maintain if Hearn or AJ wanted to fight Wilder it could have happened. But they fought a fat Mexican instead [emoji41]

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Fury is clearly a better boxer than AJ and would in all likelihood beat him (if they ever fight). However, Fury is not a massive puncher by heavyweight standards, AJ is a big puncher and a taller opponent (like Fury) would suit him better than a shorter opponent (Usyk, Ruiz). AJ would also need to realise that he can't outbox Fury and fight appropriately, the key word being fight!

That was once the case, but SugarHill Steward has trained him to have more power. It seems American trainers are more advanced at getting the best out of heavyweights. I remember SugarHill's father Emmanuel once saying he could have made a great fighter out of Frank Bruno if he had got him as a teenager.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Yes, yes i do think AJ and his team duck fighters. It's what he has been doing all his career. AJ is just a big body builder who is an average heavyweight. He wouldn't have been a top 10 heavyweight in the 60's and 70s.

A genuine warrior... again can't think of a fighter who is less of a warrior other than a Audrey Harrison. Chisora, Whyte, Wilder all have more heart.

Fury would destroy AJ and i don't think he will want that fight. IMO Wilder would also win but it will be a little closer.

AJ has made a decent amount of money for not doing very much. The one good fight AJ fans hark back to is the win over Klitchko. Klitchko was 10 years passed his prime and wasn't even the better brother. Vitali was far better.

Take your money AJ and retire to being on sports quiz shows.

The point I made was that AJ himself would be willing to fight anyone. He’s a warrior in that sense Imo, and deserves that respect. Also, he got off the canvas how many times against Ruiz? That shows some guts. You can’t compare him to Audley!

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I remember a time when Harry Carpenter uttered those immortal words “He’s won the title back at 32!” Zaire 1974, clearly heavyweights aged quicker back then 😂

There are a lot of heavyweights in the last twenty years who have peaked in their mid to late 30s. Usyk is still getting better at 34. Chisora best years late 30s. Klitchskos, Lewis.
In boxing terms 37 is maybe the new 32.
Better conditioning maybe? Better management? Fewer fights? Is boxing Safer?
Fury and AJ are early 30s. They won’t be too old for a good few years.
Whether they have the motivation or not is a different question.
On a broader sporting level, the age of when you’re past it seems to have gone up. Look at the top tennis players, Ronaldo, Messi, Jimmy Anderson, Stuart Broad.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

I'm not sure I agree Lenny. We are, or at least were, at a point where it was basically unavoidable sportingly and financially.

In terms of sporting legacy it would have made both fighters legends regardless of who won. It would have been a sporting event that resonated through the years of British history and it would have made everyone concerned an absolutely obscene amount of money. In short, win win whoever wins.

All that is of course by the by now. Even if AJ manages to win the rematch with Usyk, the drama, suspense and excitement of the build up and fight night will be a pale shadow of what it would have been. And that is a sad loss for any British sports fan.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I'm not sure I agree Lenny. We are, or at least were, at a point where it was basically unavoidable sportingly and financially.

In terms of sporting legacy it would have made both fighters legends regardless of who won. It would have been a sporting event that resonated through the years of British history and it would have made everyone concerned an absolutely obscene amount of money. In short, win win whoever wins.

All that is of course by the by now. Even if AJ manages to win the rematch with Usyk, the drama, suspense and excitement of the build up and fight night will be a pale shadow of what it would have been. And that is a sad loss for any British sports fan.

probably the most astute appraisal of the situation with the Fury v Joshua scenario but have you considered the conotations , criteria , conditions that may have been placed on this fight by our controllers/governers....?? could we really have this fight in the UK ..??

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
probably the most astute appraisal of the situation with the Fury v Joshua scenario but have you considered the conotations , criteria , conditions that may have been placed on this fight by our controllers/governers....?? could we really have this fight in the UK ..??

I'm not sure. What conditions would be placed on it? I think the bigger problem is the huge amount of money Saudi Arabia would have thrown at it to have it over there.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
There are a lot of heavyweights in the last twenty years who have peaked in their mid to late 30s. Usyk is still getting better at 34. Chisora best years late 30s. Klitchskos, Lewis.
In boxing terms 37 is maybe the new 32.
Better conditioning maybe? Better management? Fewer fights? Is boxing Safer?
Fury and AJ are early 30s. They won’t be too old for a good few years.
Whether they have the motivation or not is a different question.
On a broader sporting level, the age of when you’re past it seems to have gone up. Look at the top tennis players, Ronaldo, Messi, Jimmy Anderson, Stuart Broad.
Don't forget fights used to be 15 rounds and not 12.

That aged fighters hugely.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
The point I made was that AJ himself would be willing to fight anyone. He’s a warrior in that sense Imo, and deserves that respect. Also, he got off the canvas how many times against Ruiz? That shows some guts. You can’t compare him to Audley!
Ok i agree comparing him to Audley isn't fair but i don't see any more heart in him than any other boxer out there. He seems like a nice guy, speaks well and will do well as a TV personality but to me he was never really a boxer. He is just a manufactured fighter, without a fighting mentality.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Isn’t it a bit contradictory to say Hearn works for AJ not vice verse, but then say Hearn wouldn’t put him against Whyte again.

I still maintain if Hearn or AJ wanted to fight Wilder it could have happened. But they fought a fat Mexican instead [emoji41]

And he got found out in a sold out Garden.

The bottom line is for whatever people might think of him outside the ring Tyson Fury is the greatest heavyweight this country has ever produced. Sadly inverted racism and snobbery has stopped him being as popular as Sir Henry Cooper.

He should be knighted not just for his sporting achievements but also his work promoting mental health but he won’t be because to the majority of people he’s a gobby pikey 😞

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
And he got found out in a sold out Garden.

The bottom line is for whatever people might think of him outside the ring Tyson Fury is the greatest heavyweight this country has ever produced. Sadly inverted racism and snobbery has stopped him being as popular as Sir Henry Cooper.

He should be knighted not just for his sporting achievements but also his work promoting mental health but he won’t be because to the majority of people he’s a gobby pikey ��

Would you put Fury ahead or Lennox Lewis or are you saying Lewis was produced in Canada rather than here?

I think boxing fans love Fury, just your grandma and aunty don’t, unlike Bruno and Cooper.

Nearly everyone I speak to would love to see Fury smash Joshua, but perhaps that tells you more about the people I know.

Fury isn’t going to get knighted after saying C U Next Tuesday on prime time American television.

He can’t even get a mainstream sponsor, which I like. He was left to promote a shady Crypto Currency company on interview the day before the fight.

Your right though Fury has done more for mental health then anyone I know. The guy is a true inspiration.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here