Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Furthest you've travelled for a gig

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Flew to Stuttgart to see Ritche Blackmore a few years ago (sounded dramatically better in person than in any of the clips I've heard from the DVD. Made a long weekend of it.
Drove from King's Lynn to Leeds and back on the same night once to see somebody who I knew had Bernard Butler playing with them at that gig. Genuinely can't remember the actual band/singer's name.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
My other half and I, somewhat impulsively, have just bought tickets for a Postal Service and Death Cab For Cutie co-headline show in New York in September making it comfortably the furthest I'll have travelled for a show.

Anyone else done hefty mileage for one show?
I’ve been in Vegas and whilst there have seen Cher on one occasion and Rod Stewart but as I was there I don’t think the mileage counts, however in a couple of weeks my wife will be taking me hostage and dragging me to Marbella specifically to see some Italian bod singing In Spanish called Erros or something, quite literally see the concert and home again the next day!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Booked a romantic break in Paris and by an amazing coincidence Iron Maiden happened to be playing that week :)

Would love to go and see Metallica ' No Repeat weekend ' gigs in Europe next summer but bit pricey and Metallica just a little too heavy for for the Mrs :+

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Flew to Stuttgart to see Ritche Blackmore a few years ago (sounded dramatically better in person than in any of the clips I've heard from the DVD. Made a long weekend of it.
Drove from King's Lynn to Leeds and back on the same night once to see somebody who I knew had Bernard Butler playing with them at that gig. Genuinely can't remember the actual band/singer's name.
David McAlmont?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Booked a romantic break in Paris and by an amazing coincidence Iron Maiden happened to be playing that week :)

Would love to go and see Metallica ' No Repeat weekend ' gigs in Europe next summer but bit pricey and Metallica just a little too heavy for for the Mrs :+
I’m thinking of seeing them in Munich next summer.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Sutton, Surrey to St James's Park, Newcastle to see Brian Horton and the boys coast to victory in 1979 and three and a half hours of Bruce and the E-Street Band in the best gig I've ever seen in 1975. A very happy ground.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
David McAlmont?
No. Although I did see them together at the Roundhouse when they last toured a few years ago (2015/16?).
You've nudged me into looking it up, it was Mark Eitzel. Butler had produced his album Hey Mr Ferryman, and played at the Leeds and Nottingham gigs on the tour.

Edit: for what it's worth, the time I saw McAlmont and Butler I travelled up from Lewes a couple of days after Lewes bonfire night, then went back to my house share in Croydon. It was one of my all time favourite gigs, but the travel arrangements were entirely uninteresting.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Saw Midnight Oil in Kuranda, Australia - then The Alarm on Venice Beach LA on the same trip.

(mind you - that trip was a year long, so I guess it doesn't really count)

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Ibiza to see Fatboy Slim and Aphex Twin at a closing party, might be stretching the definition of a gig though.

Furthest to see a single act gig is probably Alexander's Palace but been to festivals abroad.

Jealous of the Postal Service and Death Cab for Cutie gig, expect the travel will be more than worth it.

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
Flew to Glasgow to see Goodbye Mr Mackenzie’s farewell gig. Felt smug that I’d travelled so far… right up until met a bloke who’d come by National Express from Plymouth.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ibiza to see Fatboy Slim and Aphex Twin at a closing party, might be stretching the definition of a gig though.

Furthest to see a single act gig is probably Alexander's Palace but been to festivals abroad.

Jealous of the Postal Service and Death Cab for Cutie gig, expect the travel will be more than worth it.
which reminds me, I did travel to Ibiza specifically to see LCD Soundsystem…..then built our honeymoon around this gig. We went onto see Fatboy later that evening at Space as well.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Went to Paris to see Kassav' back in the 80s. I'd seen them in London a few months earlier, but I fancied seeing them in a home environment (well, a second home environment).

I saw Cheb Khaled in Sfax, Tunisia but it wasn't that far to travel as I was on holiday a few miles away. Easily the most complicated journey and gig though.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Milwaukee to see Willie Nelson.
Flew into Chicago and drove up. Stopped one night before driving back to Chicago for 3 days of blues clubs and the original Blue Man Group production then home

I wanted to see him live before he died.
He’s still going and I’ve seen him again since then

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
i started going to Europe, Holland, Belgium and Germany for gigs late 80s, I’ve been going ever since as the scene is a lot bigger in Europe. Traveled to The States for Viva La Vegas Rockabilly week, LA for a psychobilly weekender. Furthest was partly a holiday, but i did insist we move the holiday back a week as the Meteors were playing Tokyo, thinking about it I did a similar thing when we went to Australia so I could see the Living End.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here