[Albion] Further Transfer Business

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I continue to be perplexed why some want Bournemouth players. I’d be against signing any of their failures personally, but I will of course trust the club and GP as always.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
TV income : £140million.
Other income : around £0.
Tony input : can he afford anything this summer if his other businesses are hit ?

Wage bill : £100 million.
Last season Covid losses : £20 million.
Academy costs, other staff costs, fixed running costs : £20 million.

‐----‐------------
£ 0
-------------------

Income from Knockaert, Montoya, Stephens, Murray, Duffy sale/loan fees - fees for Weir, Dendoncker, Van Hecke etc.

= ~£15million.

So we have around £15million left to play with - unless we boost it by selling (for example) Bernardo.

Player transfer fees are amortized, meaning they are spread over the length of the players contract. So hopefully the current Covid situation will only effect 20-25% of any potential signing fees. Assuming we get a vaccine within a year.

So if we budget 25% less than we originally intended, then does that not mitigated covid related losses?

Where we would once have £40m to spend in the summer window, we probably now have £30m.

Players who are already on the books, Jahanbakhsh, Locadia et al, whose fees we budgeted into this season's lost earnings are probably the reason we have seen so many top earners depart. Just to balance that part of the books.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Not sure where this clamour for Solanke is coming from? 4 goals in 60 apps in the PL doesn't scream goalscorer to me? Clearly he has ability but he's on big wages and I certainly wouldn't want to pay more than £10m for him. His youth career was impressive but thats gone now...

Couldn't get in Chelsea's team, couldn't get in Liverpool's regularly either and did nothing of note at Bournemouth. I have faith in Potter's ability to get a tune out of people but Solanke wouldn't be the first player to smash it at youth level but not be able to translate that to Senior football. Ideally I'd like to see a loan to buy agreement rather than a straight purchase personally if this happens...

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Not sure where this clamour for Solanke is coming from? 4 goals in 60 apps in the PL doesn't scream goalscorer to me? Clearly he has ability but he's on big wages and I certainly wouldn't want to pay more than £10m for him. His youth career was impressive but thats gone now...

Couldn't get in Chelsea's team, couldn't get in Liverpool's regularly either and did nothing of note at Bournemouth. I have faith in Potter's ability to get a tune out of people but Solanke wouldn't be the first player to smash it at youth level but not be able to translate that to Senior football. Ideally I'd like to see a loan to buy agreement rather than a straight purchase personally if this happens...
Yer as a short term option I would prefer a season loan for Danny wellbeck. In fact I really don't think we should be buying anyone permanently at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
We STILL need a proven-at-this-level striker despite the earlydoors flattering goal stats. IMHO, like

Really?
Why do we need this?
What would you consider to be "proven at this level"?

When was the last time we signed a proven at this level striker?

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Of all the names bandied around (unless we’re going for a curve ball from abroad) Solanke does seem the obvious choice - only just turned 23, 6’2”, played at every level for England (incl 1 senior cap) and should be affordable as no one else seems to be keen on him.
Ok, he had a bad spell at Plucky but there was something wrong there - he could be the gem we’re looking for.
Looks exactly the sort of player Ashworth and Potter would go for - and a different option unlike Brewster

Said pretty much this on another thread and got completely shot down. Ashworth would know him well as well. Would prefer Origi mind.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Yer as a short term option I would prefer a season loan for Danny wellbeck. In fact I really don't think we should be buying anyone permanently at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Keeping Wellbeck fit is obviously the issue but as a player I'd say he's exactly what we'd want as an option. Big strong, quick, runs channels and his goalscoring record is decent when he's on the pitch. Deeney would also do though he's not such a good fit for us IMO

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Origi would be my preferred option but I think Pukki would be a decent shout
I know he dried up last season but so did his whole bloody team!

He got into double figures playing for a very poor team, we are a far better attacking side than they were!

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Origi would be my preferred option but I think Pukki would be a decent shout
I know he dried up last season but so did his whole bloody team!

He got into double figures playing for a very poor team, we are a far better attacking side than they were!
I think the only problem with pukki is that Norwich have no reason to sell, and we certainly won't be spending more than 10m on him due to age.

I agree though I'm a big fan of his and I see he scored for Norwich over the weekend

Another name to throw into the mix is Isaac success. We have been linked with him before. Lively player, hasn't found the right club yet but has the attributes a we would need and would be happy to be 3rd choice. Better than Gykores. Oh and also plays LW.

Last edited:

To be honest losing two strikers is a bad situation, you would expect most clubs of our size to be in an "awful" situation at that point.

I would back Potter to adapt the players and formation depending on the constraints of the time.
He knows what he's doing and the idea that he is committed to 2 up front and those 2 being Maupay andf Connolly is ludicrous.

Lamptey up front could be our new Adam Virgo.....

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Really?
Why do we need this?
What would you consider to be "proven at this level"?

When was the last time we signed a proven at this level striker?

Exactly. There are a handful of these around and they would cost a fortune in transfer fees and wages. We just do not fish in that pond. So there are no proven at this level strikers out there (for us). They are all a risk.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
If Andone stays, sorts his shit out and gets a decent run in the team I don't mind us not signing a striker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports