Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Further Transfer Business

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
More similar to him than Eden Hazard, Thorgon Hazard probably the most comparable. That napoli side quality though, with Insigne as well.

The point is Trossard might be a natural finisher but playing through the centre on his own probably not ideal. Jahanbaksh or even Alexis would make more sense.
Playing a 3-4-3 with Tross, Ali J and Alexis as the front three wouldn't be the end of the world. Reasonable amount of goal threat there.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Of all the names bandied around (unless we’re going for a curve ball from abroad) Solanke does seem the obvious choice - only just turned 23, 6’2”, played at every level for England (incl 1 senior cap) and should be affordable as no one else seems to be keen on him.
Ok, he had a bad spell at Plucky but there was something wrong there - he could be the gem we’re looking for.
Looks exactly the sort of player Ashworth and Potter would go for - and a different option unlike Brewster

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Of all the names bandied around (unless we’re going for a curve ball from abroad) Solanke does seem the obvious choice - only just turned 23, 6’2”, played at every level for England (incl 1 senior cap) and should be affordable as no one else seems to be keen on him.
Ok, he had a bad spell at Plucky but there was something wrong there - he could be the gem we’re looking for.
Looks exactly the sort of player Ashworth and Potter would go for - and a different option unlike Brewster

How much would you be happy to pay considering they paid £20m? They won’t let him leave for anything than than £30m. Big no from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I think we will see one or maybe even 2 come in . Possibly one signed and one loan.
But the club is down over £19 million compared to last year on matchday revenue, plus Sky money is reduced over the next few years so keeping spending low is essential.
I suspect the transfer budget has been reduced to cover this but considering that we have spent up to £50 million the last two seasons, we still have £20 -30 million in the budget in theory.
The club has done a great job in reducing costs by letting some high earners leave for more regular first team football and the academy has done a good job in providing replacements.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
How much would you be happy to pay considering they paid £20m? They won’t let him leave for anything than than £30m. Big no from me.

They paid £19m - I was assuming they won’t be expecting a profit as he hardly did anything for his CV since signing and Muff need the money ( there were rumours they still owed some £80mill+ In transfers when they went down on top of their massive wage bill)
So I would expect maybe £15-20mill - I see him as better value than say Watkins

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
TV income : £140million.
Other income : around £0.
Tony input : can he afford anything this summer if his other businesses are hit ?

Wage bill : £100 million.
Last season Covid losses : £20 million.
Academy costs, other staff costs, fixed running costs : £20 million.

‐----‐------------
£ 0
-------------------

Income from Knockaert, Montoya, Stephens, Murray, Duffy sale/loan fees - fees for Weir, Dendoncker, Van Hecke etc.

= ~£15million.

So we have around £15million left to play with - unless we boost it by selling (for example) Bernardo.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Tony input : can he afford anything this summer if his other businesses are hit ?

‐----‐------------
£ 0
-------------------

Income from Knockaert, Montoya, Stephens, Murray, Duffy sale/loan fees - fees for Weir, Dendoncker, Van Hecke etc.

= ~£15million.

So we have around £15million left to play with - unless we boost it by selling (for example) Bernardo.

Counter argument is that we were willing to bid ~€25m for Nuñez, so clearly there is some money available for the right player. It just won’t be thrown around willy nilly.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

‐----‐------------
£ 0
-------------------

= ~£15million.

‘We’ only have to play with what Tony is prepared to put in.........on the basis he’s not getting it back. We’ve also got a TV rebate to pay for last season (deferred) and possibly another this season. I read our TV income was c113m (pre rebate) not 140m so we’re already facing a significant loss before funding any transfers.

https://www.planetfootball.com/quic...wn-of-the-2019-20-premier-league-prize-money/

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Counter argument is that we were willing to bid ~€25m for Nuñez, so clearly there is some money available for the right player. It just won’t be thrown around willy nilly.

To be fair, that was reported on the media, nothing official, so we don't really know if we did bid.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Tony won't be basing decisions on this year's books or last year's books.
If the deal is likely to make a profit in the long term, he'll do it.

The problem with the market currently is that sellers and agents are trying to pretend that Covid isn't a factor.
It is and Tony won't pay over the odds when he could be stuck with more losses than he will make back in resale/improved league position.

However if we strike on the right deal, it will happen.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Tony won't be basing decisions on this year's books or last year's books.
If the deal is likely to make a profit in the long term, he'll do it.

The problem with the market currently is that sellers and agents are trying to pretend that Covid isn't a factor.
It is and Tony won't pay over the odds when he could be stuck with more losses than he will make back in resale/improved league position.

However if we strike on the right deal, it will happen.

Can see a number of teams now having to re dress their squads...they have brought players in but not shifted others out... Next few days should see significant movement for loads of clubs as they realise time is against them. Ideal opportunity for some canny business. (much like Burnley have done with us!)

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Playing a 3-4-3 with Tross, Ali J and Alexis as the front three wouldn't be the end of the world. Reasonable amount of goal threat there.

I actually really like the look of that. Maybe move Ali J to the right and Alexis down the middle, maybe Potter will trial something similar against United in the cup..

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020

‐----‐------------
£ 0
-------------------

= ~£15million.

Other income wouldn't be around 0 with all the sponsorship deals, merch sales various other income.. Only really miss out on gate sales and the money people would spend in the stadium. However, you're probably right in your figure though I reckon £25million-£30million is probably more like our budget but we won't spend unless it makes sense.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

I would be massively amused if we signed Solanke for a greatly reduced fee and got him actually scoring goals. But I'd rather have Josh King.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

‐----‐------------
£ 0
-------------------

= ~£15million.

Hope that will help to keep our head above water financially in this spectator free season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here