Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Further statement due today? *edit: Online now!*

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
pending - awaiting decision or settlement, undecided.

So, hat the club are saying is that dismissal was ON THE CARDS but no decided.

So either theyve messed up again with the sue of 'pending' or Gus is right.

Can it get worse? I wish Gus would just go away because he's making my club looks worse and worse by the day. How more PR-inept can we get.

It was decided saturday night, just not finalised.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Strangely they don't say WHAT it was pending. A very carefully crafted press release that one that presents more questions than it answers. The club should have just kept quiet but there appears to be an ego in the club bigger than Gus' that just wants to have the last word. Barber / Bloom - shut the f**k up and let the appeal process start without anymore public statements from the club !

I would want to set the record straight if it was claimed that a sacked employee had been 'wronged' live on tv and the press fawning over it.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
He knew it was pending... We all knew it was pending, it doesn't say he knew he had been sacked.

This. They haven't really done themselves any favours here, have they? They are basically saying Gus didn't know for certain he had been sacked until they released the statement. Pretty shameful.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
I don't know any of the ins or outs of this, BUT if that statement was supposed to clarify matters, it has not. Either keep quiet or be extremely clear, all this half speak such as 'pending' (meaning Awaiting decision or settlement) is crap and more like Albion and Albion solicitors. So the statement could be read
For legal reasons we cannot say anything about the content of those discussions but Gus was well aware, before he appeared on the BBC last evening, that he was awaiting a decision on his dismissal
. I am sure that this was not the case, but it is poor use of language. If the outcome had not been communicated to him or his lawyers before the start of the show, the could have waited until after to issue a public statement. That would not have precluded Gus and his representatives being told.

I back the club in all this at the moment, but I will be very disappointed if they are now playing this out publically after being so clear that they wanted to remain professional throughout.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
They are basically saying Gus didn't know for certain he had been sacked until they released the statement.

If he was told he would be sacked in, say, the next 12 hours, that is certainty. If there were other loose ends that needed to be tied up, that is not certainty.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

Do you know something we dont know? Using the word 'pending' is fudging the issue as it does not mean 'decided'... its actual synonym if you check is 'undecided'. It suggests that Gus knew it would probably end in dismissal but he had not been informed... therefore he was told on BBC. Simples.... doesnt matter when the decision was taken. So either you're right and the PR dept have messed up again or you are wrong. Either of those solutions good for the club?

Aug 23, 2011

then what were they negotiating on the sunday? the timing of the statement? By the sounds of things they spent hours on sunday back and forth between the two teams and if it was straight forward why would it take so long? Is it negotiating what either team could say about the matter? Its all a bit odd

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I would want to set the record straight if it was claimed that a sacked employee had been 'wronged' live on tv and the press fawning over it.

Sometimes keeping ones' own council is far more powerful - this is one of those times. Every time the club release a press statement in response to a claim from Gus they've buggered it up. Just let Gus carry on - with no response he just looks like a disgruntled employee.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Really unclear what the word pending means. In context it seems to mean that Gus was aware that they'd make a decision, but not that the decision had been made. It possibly even means that he wasn't sure what the decision would be, although he'd seem incredibly naive if he didn't have a pretty concrete idea that he was on his way out. Of course pending could just mean that the formal announcement of his sacking was pending, but that seems odd given the wording of the sentence.

Personally I still think the club should have waited until today. Uruguay aren't playing again until Wednesday now, meaning that Gus isn't likely to have another TV appearance booked in, robbing him of his platform. It may, potentially, have cause some issues with pre-season stuff, but I believe it's just medicals today and tomorrow, with training starting on Wednesday. If they'd put it out at 9am today would it have made much difference?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Sometimes keeping ones' own council is far more powerful - this is one of those times. Every time the club release a press statement in response to a claim from Gus they've buggered it up. Just let Gus carry on - with no response he just looks like a disgruntled employee.

I don't think he is coming across as a disgruntled employee, more the victim.

Little Piggy

Oct 27, 2003
Ireland
Its the usual problem of a subtle and difficult situation clashing head on with the black and white screaming world of the media.

Rather than being a manipulative *******, I am sure that Gus has simply been in denial over everything that's been going wrong. Someone saying to you "You are going to be sacked, just need to sign this paperwork!" would upset you, sure, but until you see the actual paperwork announcing it, you would not quite be sure if it was real or not. And lets be honest, this has all been completely unreal.

The end result is a guy on tv who is suddenly slapped across the face with reality... and the BBC managed to translate that into "HE WAS FIRED LIVE ON AIR!".

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
pending [ˈpɛndɪŋ]
prep
while waiting for or anticipating
adj (postpositive)
1. not yet decided, confirmed, or finished what are the matters pending?
2. imminent these developments have been pending for some time

pending (Imminent), adjective about to happen, approaching, at hand, close, close at hand, coming, eventual, expectant, fearful, foreseen, foreshadowing, forthcoming, immediate, impending, instant, looming, momentary, near, ominous, on the horizon, overhanging, prospective, threatening, upcoming
Associated concepts: pending action, pending case, penddng cause, pending claim, pending proceeding
pending (Unresolved), adjective in a state of uncerrainty, in abeyance, in question, indefinite, indeterminate, open to discussion, open to question, still in debate, unascertained, uncertain, unclear, unconcluded, undecided, under consideration, undetermined, unfixed, unsettled, unsolved

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I'm sure that statement is the last we will hear from the club, no matter what Poyet says. The club gave him enough rope to hang himself last night, and he duly obliged. If Poyet says anything else (and for his sake lets hope his lawyers manage to shut him up) any press/radio segment will quote the clubs last statement. At least thats how I see it.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
then what were they negotiating on the sunday?

You are going to be sacked. Give up your rights to an appeal and in exchange we will give you 6 months pay and agree a 'by mutual consent' statement. We have to have an answer to this by 18.00. If not we will put out a 'dismissed' statement. Until then the dismissal is pending.

(Just an example but from my experience this can take a few hours).

Dandyman

In London village.
The only thing shocking about the club statement is the use of the ugly americanism "appeal the decsion". This is England and people appeal against things.

That apart, I suspect it was pending because he was offered another way out and rejected it (Disclaimer: This is a guess, I am not claiming any insider knowledge).

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Do you know something we dont know? Using the word 'pending' is fudging the issue as it does not mean 'decided'... its actual synonym if you check is 'undecided'. It suggests that Gus knew it would probably end in dismissal but he had not been informed... therefore he was told on BBC. Simples.... doesnt matter when the decision was taken. So either you're right and the PR dept have messed up again or you are wrong. Either of those solutions good for the club?

Read the statement. It says they deliberated Friday afternoon and most of saturday. They decided he was sacked then. The pending means it hadn't been finalised, not that it hadn't decided he was fired. Therefore he knew he was fired.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here