Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Funniest infield incident when watching Albion

That ring-a-roses goal celebration at Withdean once where Dean Cox was next to Guy Butters and looked like a hobbit amongst men.

What was the reason for that, remember it well?

Re: post #16 I am sure that the Keith Cuss incident was well before the Goldstone was darkened with Bellotti's presence.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Funny now...but not then. Sometime about 1950 first time my uncle took me to the Goldstone. He sent me down into the pit while he stayed at the top of the East Terrace. We met as arranged at the tea hut at halftime. I went back down for the second half, at the end he f****d off having completely forgotten I was with him. About an hour later he picked me up from the office under the stand. I was thrilled free crisps, pop and Mars bars courtesy of the club, bit disconcerting though seeing grown men walking around with no clothes on :ohmy:

Jimmy Grimble

Colin Hawkins own goal against Hartlepool.

Colin Hawkins cameo appearance where he gave away a penalty and got sent off in the space of about 60 seconds. He essentially ran in a straight line from the dugout to the tunnel, only stopping along the way to hack down an opposition player.

Liam Dickenson's penguin running.

Chris Holroyd playing football.

Plenty more from the Withdean era which I'm sure will come back to me.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
I remember an incident in a game v Luton town at withdean. Must be about 10 or so years back. One of our players had the ball and was running up the wing in front of the south stand by the dugouts, and the then Luton manager Mike Newell tripped him up! I'm pretty sure we won but I can't remember the player (something tells me it was Oatway)

Morvangull

Oct 19, 2010
Bognor Regis
I Don't know the year or who we were playing but remember Bill Cassidy, during an injury break, stuffing the ball under his shirt and the ref looking all over the place for the ball to re-start the game. Bill walks toward the ref as though he also had no idea and finallly the ref seeing what was blatantly obvious to the whole crowd.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I remember an incident in a game v Luton town at withdean. Must be about 10 or so years back. One of our players had the ball and was running up the wing in front of the south stand by the dugouts, and the then Luton manager Mike Newell tripped him up! I'm pretty sure we won but I can't remember the player (something tells me it was Oatway)

I remember that - Mike Newell getting sent off for it too. I had a feeling it was Nathan Jones, but might just be because it was down the left wing!

They used it as a "What Happens Next" on Question of Sport shortly after too.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

I thought he stopped/trapped the ball, assuming it had gone out of play, but it hadn't.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
My memories, I have two, not that funny maybe, but always remembered.

1. My first ever Brighton game, 1979, home to Norwich, John Fashanu was warming up pre match sort of in front of the Lego stand, he was doing 'high kicks' on his own, and fell on his arse.

2. Away at Yeovil ( I think) there was a call by an oppo player for handball in the penalty area, he shouted it in a really high pitched voice at a particularly quiet moment, everyone laughed and then whenever they got into our penalty area we were all shouting handball in as high a pitched voice as we could (no, it was not NJ).

No, I don't get out often.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford

i remember this well! 25th August 2003, my birthday and first game at the Withdean! We won 2-0, an own goal and a Charlie Oatway pile driver.....well he hit it straight at the keeper who fumbled it in

I have a feeling that Mick Harford tackled either Leon Knight or Chris McPhee

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Keith Cuss ballboy header as already mentioned

Keith was in charge of bellboys as I recall, and Belotti in his malicious days, used the incident as an excuse to sack him

Unsurprising though that would have been, but Bellotti wasn't at the club until about 3 years after that incident.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
More schadenfreude than out-and-out funny, but seeing Dan Harding substituted virtually in tears and already on a yellow after Will Buckley had turned him inside out and back to front for about the 15th time in the game was not entirely unamusing.

Need to add after only 39 minutes.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I seem to remember when either Bryan Wade or Paul Dickov when they were trying to make a run to break the offside trap while calling for the ball, would run with both arms out like they were mimicking an aeroplane making turns in the air. It's possible I'm extrapolating one incident to be regular behaviour.

Several moments that frustrated me at the time, but now are mildly amusing. Not technically on field, but relate directly to onfield.

Against Ipswich at home in the 11/12 season to have a fan ranting for a large portion of a game at Barnes (who wasn't having, from what I remember, I particularly bad game, and we were winning 1-0 from early on so it wasn't exactly merited abuse). He just wouldn't lay off him, then Barnes scored. There was some good natured mocking of him, but when that settled down, he started up again, demanding Poyet take him off because "Barnes never scores twice in a game"... cue Barnes scoring a second.

Last season, after Barnes left, another guy turned his unfair criticism to Greer. I can't remember who it was, but someone who wasn't Greer, who was no where near Greer made a mistake and you heard "For goodness sake greer" then a few moments silence as everyone around him debate whether to point out it wasn't greer and as he realises it himself, followed by "you're the captain, you should stop them making mistakes like that"

There was one game where, I think it was Dicker taking a corner someone behind me as the cross went in and looked like it would be easily dealt with said "terrible corner, Barnes" then it fell to Bridge(?) whose shot was blocked, which was met with "oh come on, Barnes, you should bury them" and the ball rebounded to Orlandi whose long range shot either missed or was a comfortable save for the keeper met by "selfish play there from Barnes", which you might think was the guy having a laugh/making fun of the constant criticism of Barnes, but he was being completely serious.

There was also the time at withdean where the guy behind me (am I just really unlucky with this sort of person being sat near me, or are they everywhere?) complaining because we were taking a short corner and "we NEVER score from short corners!". Cur Lualua cutting inside and scoring from a narrow angle.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
One that pops to mind was Chris Mcphee running down the line and getting fouled by Mike Newell the Luton manager (if i'm wrong please correct me)

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
A few others also mentioned Keith Cuss.

A big memory for me - the first Albion game I remember going to. Dying minutes of the game and we were winning 2-1, I think. Hooked from then on.

Yeah, there was a big crowd at the Goldstone for that game. The away supporters were in the north east corner under the floodlight and it was the year of the inflatables. One of the Man city fans had a huge inflatable mouth which was hilarious.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The (brilliantly-effective) Sunday League defending against Derby a couple of years ago when the whole team ran out as a free kick was taken, leaving practically their whole team offside

That was brilliant. Would've been disastrous if 1 man had got it wrong though, as it was the last play of the game and leading 2-1 - brave call.

Favourite incident this year was on pitch but related more to opposition fans: Paddy McCourt delivered a free kick against Burton, which roundly jeered as it appeared to have been hit too high, long and wide. Their fans were still giving it the 'aaaarggggggh' as it was perfectly met on the by-line and headed back across goal for Ince (??) to nod in the opener from close range.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The following spring to mind.....
1) Kit Napier v Chesterfield. After an almighty melee in the goalmouth where 8-10 players were all taking kicks at the ball, the goalkeeper eventually emerged with ball in hand. He assumed that the ref had blown for a free kick and as everyone retired upfield, he placed the ball on the ground about 5 yards out. As he went into the back of the net to give himself a run-up, Napier turned quickly, ran in and popped the ball into the back of the net. The goal stood and the whole ground was in hysterics as the keeper chased the ref all the way to the halfway line.
2) Years ago, at the Goldstone, a gentleman used to carry a board around the edge of the pitch at half-time, displaying the draw results. This particular day it was extremely windy and he was fighting like mad to hang on to it. As he started going past the East Terrace a strong gust caught him and being a valiant club servant, he tried to hang on but it was too much and he and the board went sailing over the wall and into an ecstatic crowd.
3) Away at Mansfield ( mid 70's )..Sammy Morgan ( a volatile and hard as nails Northern Irishman ) was playing upfront for us. The first half was just a running battle between him and the centre backs. The ball was forgotten as they literally kicked lumps out of each other. About 10 mins into the second half, a goal kick saw Morgan rising to head on in the centre circle but he became the filling in a centre-back sandwich. All three were on the ground and Sammy leapt to his feet spitting blood. The first Mansfield defender was sent flying with a left -right combination and the second never smelt the punch that knocked him cold. Sammy was already halfway to the tunnel before the ref arrived on the scene and acknowledged his dismissal with a cheery wave. The Mansfield fans showed their approval with a shower of cans and coins and spit. Ah...those were the days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here