Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fund run by David Cameron’s father avoided paying tax in Britain (Panama leaks)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
With everyone happy to cast stones at the PM for something that his dad did, I wonder how many people can truly say that they've never done something to avoid paying tax? It almost seems as if some types of tax avoidance is socially acceptable, such as paying a tradesman in cash, or being self-employed and paying yourself a tax efficient salary/dividend combination. And lots of the self employed contractors I work with openly admit to having their partner listed as a company director or employee so that they can pay them a salary and make the most of his/her allowance as well.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
With everyone happy to cast stones at the PM for something that his dad did, I wonder how many people can truly say that they've never done something to avoid paying tax? It almost seems as if some types of tax avoidance is socially acceptable, such as paying a tradesman in cash, or being self-employed and paying yourself a tax efficient salary/dividend combination. And lots of the self employed contractors I work with openly admit to having their partner listed as a company director or employee so that they can pay them a salary and make the most of his/her allowance as well.

trouble is you me and anyone else ricking the taxman and you me and anyone else would have the bailiffs on the door and please don't tell me his angelic son knew nothing of this while preaching to us plebs we must pay taxes and we are all in this together.
the man is a hypocrit of the highest order
and as I said before I would be saying exactly the same if it was Corbyns father................or for that matter mine

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

We are probably all guilty of the odd bit of tax avoidance in order to save a few quid, the difference is that I am strapped for cash to start with. I'm not a millionaire and never will be remotely close to it so it's more galling to be told by richer,financially astute and secure Tories that we " Are all in this together " when we clearly are not. The Tory party political broadcasts always make me see red..... " We want to help those working hard to get on...." Er DC, we are already working hard, working hard just to stand still as the rich yet again get richer.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
trouble is you me and anyone else ricking the taxman and you me and anyone else would have the bailiffs on the door and please don't tell me his angelic son knew nothing of this while preaching to us plebs we must pay taxes and we are all in this together.
the man is a hypocrit of the highest order
and as I said before I would be saying exactly the same if it was Corbyns father................or for that matter mine

No we wouldn't. The example I used of self-employed people and partners as 'directors' is tax avoidance, which is legal, if not 100% moral or within the spirit of our tax laws. Paying tradesmen cash is evasion, I'll give you that, but how many people have ever had the revenue investigate them for paying a plasterer cash-in-hand with a wink and a nudge?

And, I do believe it's unfair to judge someone on how their parents acted.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
No we wouldn't. The example I used of self-employed people and partners as 'directors' is tax avoidance, which is legal, if not 100% moral or within the spirit of our tax laws. Paying tradesmen cash is evasion, I'll give you that, but how many people have ever had the revenue investigate them for paying a plasterer cash-in-hand with a wink and a nudge?

And, I do believe it's unfair to judge someone on how their parents acted.

while he is preaching to us how we should pay our taxes and we are in this together, no sorry don't buy that and never will.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
5bd62b0529246b356767868fb0d8878a.jpg

I'm not sure why you are saying Auntie is the same as the Grauniad though.

I just happened to notice the Beeb lunchtime news started with this story highlighting the case of an American woman and the aforementioned deceased which seemed an odd choice looking at all the juicy targets. Looking across all their many news outlets they do seem to have covered this ongoing story in a more balanced way.

It used to be hard to distinguish the difference between Guardian and Beeb news agendas or personnel a bit like the difference between Sinn Fein and the IRA.

Much better now though!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I just happened to notice the Beeb lunchtime news started with this story highlighting the case of an American woman and the aforementioned deceased which seemed an odd choice looking at all the juicy targets. Looking across all their many news outlets they do seem to have covered this ongoing story in a more balanced way.

It used to be hard to distinguish the difference between Guardian and Beeb news agendas or personnel a bit like the difference between Sinn Fein and the IRA.

Much better now though!

Can't speak for the Beeb in the 70's but my experience of popping in there (and ITV) these days to be interviewed for the drivel I talk is that they bend over backwards to be even handed.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Can't speak for the Beeb in the 70's but my experience of popping in there (and ITV) these days to be interviewed for the drivel I talk is that they bend over backwards to be even handed.

Yeah but don't let your personal experience get in the way of forming an opinion that the BBC are actually a bunch of raving subversive Marxist fan boys. Look they had a news story about dave's dad alright.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Agreed. I wasn't being sarcastic with the last comment in my previous post they are much improved.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Yeah but don't let your personal experience get in the way of forming an opinion that the BBC are actually a bunch of raving subversive Marxist fan boys. Look they had a news story about dave's dad alright.

not a lot to do with politics
its to do with moral and human decency

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
while he is preaching to us how we should pay our taxes and we are in this together, no sorry don't buy that and never will.

You can take some responsibility for your kids, but I don't think that you can take responsibility for your parents. I do believe that there's nothing worse than not practicing what you preach though, and I know some self righteous left-wingers who preach quite hard about taxes etc., who seem oblivious to the fact that the details of their one man businesses are available on-line for anyone to see that their stay at home wives are listed as directors. The hypocritical tossers.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
You can take some responsibility for your kids, but I don't think that you can take responsibility for your parents. I do believe that there's nothing worse than not practicing what you preach though, and I know some self righteous left-wingers who preach quite hard about taxes etc., who seem oblivious to the fact that the details of their one man businesses are available on-line for anyone to see that their stay at home wives are listed as directors. The hypocritical tossers.

you are missing the point he is the PM and preaching to us all, they are just minor fiddlers bad I agree but they don't preach we are all in together, daves father certainly was'nt was he, nor was his mother or him and any relatives.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Oh really ? Who inherited his money?

And was DC surprised by the nationality of the stamp on the envelope when the cheque arrived ? I think not.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

I was just about to type the same thing...I'm amazed how, just to be blindly political anyone can support the view that the 'all in it together' millionaires that run this country are so bloody naive that they didn't know what their families were up to. Cameron wasn't feckin 6 years old when this was happening! His father attending boardroom meetings in Panama whilst DC was a cabinet minister, and he was clueless ....give us a break. :facepalm:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
no 10 now saying this is a private matter
err no its not ................................come on dave answer the question do you or your family still have connections with this bank
answer the question ..............or resign

OH AND WHAT ABOUT ALL THAT TRANSPARITY YOU ARE ALWAYS TALKING ABOUT

Last edited:

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
what I find most interesting is that the pro-Tory papers are running strongly with it. Convention says that papers such as the Mail might stay away from any paper which deals with tax status bearing in mind its owners, even more so a story which is bad for the Tories. I would have put money on something about Corbyn once being at a meeting where (insert pariah figure) spoke as a classic diversion ruse.

This suggests that they really have it in for him.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
what I find most interesting is that the pro-Tory papers are running strongly with it. Convention says that papers such as the Mail might stay away from any paper which deals with tax status bearing in mind its owners, even more so a story which is bad for the Tories. I would have put money on something about Corbyn once being at a meeting where (insert pariah figure) spoke as a classic diversion ruse.

This suggests that they really have it in for him.

this is the excuse they need to get rid of him .................he is now a liability and and george is not looking all that safe either, niether would have wanted this right now

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Oh really ? Who inherited his money?

Most of the time his father was doing this, it was under a Labour Government (he died just 4 months after the coalition deposed the Labour Government that held power for 13 years)

It smacks of double standards that Labour are now calling for a clampdown by the Government only due to the leaks, but a) they knew it was happening when in power and b) did nothing to tackle it themselves when in power

It's just the typical points scoring political b.s. we always get zzzzz. His father has been dead for nearly 6 years but people are focusing on that when current political leaders of other are doing this now whilst in still in power.

The headline figure is 140 politicians involved, but how many, if any, are current UK politicians? Everyone jumps to the conclusion it's all about the UK

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here