Full national lockdown (not education) 4/11 - 1/12 possible

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
interesting play from Stamer, being in agreement of lockdown, he's going after Sunak. we know Johnson is crap at the job but Sunak looks competent, so stick it on him. clever.
Starmer started on Sunak about 2-3 weeks ago. He's about the only Tory in cabinet with a modicum of adaquacy and with a fair chance of being the next Tory leader. Sunak has had a " Good" crisis since being put in post but that will change when he has to find ways of clawing back all those millions.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Someone on here in response to my close the pubs and restaurants suggestion suggested that infection rates are low in these types of places, on R5 today various people have been on suggesting that infection rates from indoor and outdoor sports of all variants should remain open as they have low infection rates, if all of this is the case where are all the infections being spread?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Someone on here in response to my close the pubs and restaurants suggestion suggested that infection rates are low in these types of places, on R5 today various people have been on suggesting that infection rates from indoor and outdoor sports of all variants should remain open as they have low infection rates, if all of this is the case where are all the infections being spread?

Schools and Unis ?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

I asked that very same question. If as is being estimated the true number of daily infections is 70,000 a day then thats nearly half a million a week.

If it's not pubs, it's not schools, it's not work, where the **** are all these people getting infected?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

a lot is schools, unis, care homes. number 1 is peoples homes.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I thought that too, but apparently the largest combined percentage of new positive cases is in the 29 to 49 age range, with senior school/uni age brackets behind that...

Yes...but are they catching it from their asymptomatic kids who are catching it at school ? Pretty much bang in the middle of the parental age range.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
The number one place to pass on infection is the home, clearly as that's where people come into most close contact, hence the current no household mixing - but where are people getting it from to take into their home?

other people's homes.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

35824797-ADE1-45C5-8F5D-8002CF351366.jpeg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I asked that very same question. If as is being estimated the true number of daily infections is 70,000 a day then thats nearly half a million a week.

If it's not pubs, it's not schools, it's not work, where the **** are all these people getting infected?

Looking at recent information e.g. CDC and articles on the FT, as other posters have said in the home is the number one place, including other peoples homes.

Then pubs and restaurants because people literally cannot wear masks, despite being in the vicinity of many others. This also explains the high and growing case numbers in late teens and young adults.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
And yet this article, from a catering organisation disputes the hospitality figure as a misreading of the data and that what is being represented is % of clusters... the article explains it better than I do!

it shows acute respiratory infection outbreaks, which are 2 or more cases in 48 hours. if someone is infectious and spreading disease in a public place, wouldnt you expect 2 or more cases? at least it would be reasonable to assume the rate of single transmissions will be proportionately similar. meanwhile households cases aren't counted at all here because they dont get recorded through health authorities.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
it shows acute respiratory infection outbreaks, which are 2 or more cases in 48 hours. if someone is infectious and spreading disease in a public place, wouldnt you expect 2 or more cases? at least it would be reasonable to assume the rate of single transmissions will be proportionately similar. meanwhile households cases aren't counted at all here because they dont get recorded through health authorities.

So people should go to the pub, but just don’t go home... sounds good!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Jesus wept, I've just seen this on the BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54785032

I've not supported the conspiracy theories, or that Government were trying to scare us, but come on, it now turns out that 4,000 deaths a day was based on out of date data, and actually appears to be a prediction based on a prediction!!!

No wonder some won't listen to what the Government are saying! Rank incompetence from the top down!

Yoda

English & European

I've not supported the conspiracy theories, or that Government were trying to scare us, but come on, it now turns out that 4,000 deaths a day was based on out of date data, and actually appears to be a prediction based on a prediction!!!

No wonder some won't listen to what the Government are saying! Rank incompetence from the top down!

Good to see the BBC ahead of the game. Those figures were debunked by many other scientists over the weekend, even some peoples favourite, Dr John Campbell found them dubious on one of his updates on YouTube.

Even I found it a bit strange at the time as Valentine showed a nice graph with R falling as it had been and at 1.1 (now believed to be 1.0), then went on to show another with the deaths, and as he put it, "with R between 1.3 & 1.5".

Why would you produce a slide & graph for a prediction NOT using current data?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

data is always out of date, question is a matter of how long. medical data is typically weeks old, with Covid they get to a few days old at best. the original "circuit breaker" advice was based on prediction we'd have 3000 death a day by end of October, from projections in mid September.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
data is always out of date, question is a matter of how long. medical data is typically weeks old, with Covid they get to a few days old at best. the original "circuit breaker" advice was based on prediction we'd have 3000 death a day by end of October, from projections in mid September.

That was based on absolutely no action being taken at all, that is, without the positive effect of local lockdowns and tiered restrictions applied to 10m’s of folk, rolled out since mid September.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports