Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Full national lockdown (not education) 4/11 - 1/12 possible

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think I agree.

As for saving Christmas this really gets my goat. Are people so selfish that they can’t see the need that for just this year we have to compromise a little on Christmas. Being restricted to just six for Christmas lunch really isn’t that a big a hardship is it? A lot of families may actually benefit...

[emoji736][emoji736][emoji736][emoji736][emoji736][emoji736][emoji736][emoji736][emoji736]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I won't copy and paste stuff here, but my views on those two main points are covered HERE and HERE.

I'm slightly surprised at the timing as there are signs that measures in the North are having an effect (or, for the cynically-minded: something is having an effect) and new infection rates seem to have been broadly stable for a week or so now. However, I have seen suggestion that the virus is now moving from the young to the old which, if correct, will lead to a further rise in hospitalisations and deaths.

Back to the question, though. This is a virus that thrives when we lead our normal lives, mixing closely and freely with many others. So, taking hard measures to restrict that contact will absolutely work if the criteria is to throttle the viral spread.

The big question is what next? Well, we are within touching distance of the leading vaccine contenders to be able to unblind their phase 3 trial data and if any of these, and hopefully multiple of these, are as successful as hope, we start to move into the beginning of the end of this. The end game might not be quite as quick as we hope, but we start to have our first real defence against this ******* thing.

The progress by the virus labs is astonishing..........if we need to put up with restrictions for a few more weeks pending real breakthroughs in relation to a vaccine, instant testing etc then it’s a price worth paying. If it’s more than a few weeks we’re ****ed economically though - there is a looming total catastrophe of unemployment and bankruptcy.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
So is there going to be another furlough scheme announced at the same time then? I haven’t seen anything reported.

I really don’t want to sound selfish as I know how serious this virus is but there are literally millions of people in this country like myself who just can’t afford another lockdown without increased support. I’m worried about feeding and keeping a roof over my family’s head now over xmas, not just which 2 family members we can have over to share the ****ing turkey.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Exactly. Far from saving it, we should be using it to our advantage. If we really have to lockdown then the second half of December and first week of January is the perfect time for it as the economy (minus retail and hospitality) is packed up for two or three weeks already.

Christmas with nobody outside my household in exchange for 200,000 people keeping their jobs? Of course I’d do it.

But I demand to be able to celebrate the birth of someone who I don't believe existed in the only way possible.

Gluttony
Excess.
&
Crippling debt.

It's why the good lord invented advertising.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Frustrating when in our area it has basically plateaued since early October.

If only northerners were aloof, standoffish, wary, uncommunicative, surly and generally grumpy...

...like us!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
So is there going to be another furlough scheme announced at the same time then? I haven’t seen anything reported.

I really don’t want to sound selfish as I know how serious this virus is but there are literally millions of people in this country like myself who just can’t afford another lockdown without increased support. I’m worried about feeding and keeping a roof over my family’s head now over xmas, not just which 2 family members we can have over to share the ****ing turkey.

Will Furlough help?

Maybe, but without any cash flow companies will just fold.

Companies went with reduced income for 6/7 months - the back up funds are gone/going.

When companies like Amex are starting to make cuts you know it’s really bad

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
When they talk about the NHS being over run, where is this? Because it hasn’t happened in the North where cases have peaked and plateaued. It hasn’t happened in the South.

And to the best of my knowledge they still haven’t used any of the Nightingale hospitals this time round either, all of which means we still have massive unused capacity.

And on a separate point of order. No one can sacrifice Christmas. Jesus was born, approximately 2020 years ago. Whether we have 20 people for lunch on Christmas Day or 6, thats still a fact.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
If only northerners were aloof, standoffish, wary, uncommunicative, surly and generally grumpy...

...like us!

Indeed! What's actually made a bit of a difference here is the weather - in a good way. It's reduced the number of visitors from Liverpool & Machester, etc to the South Lakes - so we're able to avoid each other again!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
When they talk about the NHS being over run, where is this? Because it hasn’t happened in the North where cases have peaked and plateaued. It hasn’t happened in the South.

And to the best of my knowledge they still haven’t used any of the Nightingale hospitals this time round either, all of which means we still have massive unused capacity.

And on a separate point of order. No one can sacrifice Christmas. Jesus was born, approximately 2020 years ago. Whether we have 20 people for lunch on Christmas Day or 6, thats still a fact.

Personally I wasn’t looking that far ahead ...November was the limit of my horizons

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Why should you?

Because if you don’t you’re a selfish prick. Why are YOU special?

Tbf selfish or not I think a lot of people are not giving up Christmas no matter what Boris (and his equivalents in other countries) say. And not saying this as some Christmas freak... I would personally be happy to miss it but my grandma would be very sad, Lockdown unlikely to happen here obviously but I would still do the Christmas stuff with my family, not for selfish reasons but to make them happy. I think you are overreacting, if you see this thing as incredibly evil or selfish or whatever, I think you are going to be have to be mad at A LOT of people.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Doing it because the scientists say so makes Johnson a coward. There are plenty of other factors to consider. Doing it because other countries are makes him a sheep.

I remember saying back in April time that Johnson knows he cannot do anything to stop deaths. Covid is rampant and unstoppable. For him, this is all about avoiding people dying in hospital corridors. The second that happens he’s gone. He’s just looking after himself.

If he doesn’t.......and our hospitals are overwhelmed.....what then ? It’s precisely about avoiding people dying in hospital corridors isn’t it ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here