Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Full body MOT

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I hear you. My dad, who I never saw after he and my mum split up when I was six, died of cancer of the neck, aged 60. Biggest regret in my life was not trying to get in touch with him for fear of upsetting my mum.
Thats harsh. My dad left when I was six, didnt see much of him until my 20’s.

greachain

Mar 19, 2023
I’m thinking of paying for a full body MOT and looking to see if anyone else has done this and think it was worth the cost, Nuffield Health offer one for £700 which looks fairly indepth.

No specific reason for wanting it other than getting to late 30s and finding it harder to shake the little niggles and aches and would like to know if there’s any lifestyle changes that would help my long term health.
I've done the Nuffield one twice and found it thoroughly disappointing. They follow a tight script and didn't really want to talk about actual issues. E.g. I had an ongoing chest wall injury and they simply wrote it down and played it back to me in the physiologists report - waste of time. There were also inaccuracies in what they wrote up as well - things mentioned we never even talked about. Interested in doing another one myself soon so if anyone has another provider in or near Brighton they'd recommend, I'd be interested in hearing about it. Incidentally there's a freebie MOT from the NHS over a certain age - worth grabbing that if you're eligible if they're running these currently (or when they resume) - I mean free is free after all!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I think I just about scrape an MOT, a few patches on the sills, a few knocks and creaks from the suspension when I hit a pothole. exterior body work is a bit tatty on the outside but looks respectsble from 10 yards. The vinyl roof isn't great, but It's not so bad I have an aftermarket sunroof yet.

I have been wondering if you can go and get cancer screening done, via a blood test or something. My Dad died very quickly at 56 from Oesophagal cancer . . . Which haunts me. I'm 52 this year and would like to live a little longer Yet
Don’t worry unduly! My father died of stomach cancer at the age of 54. I’ll turn 70 in July.
just don’t hesitate to go to the doctor if anything seems wrong!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I’m firmly in the ‘I’d rather not know’ camp, I’ve got enough neuroses without sweating on health. I’ve never taken up any of the offers from my GP to have age related health checks. I also suffer with ‘white coat syndrome’ (blood pressure rises when checked by a medical practitioner, but is otherwise reasonably okay). I’d rather just rely on a good diet and regular exercise (non smoker and don’t drink) and what will be will be. Not for everyone I appreciate, but that’s just me.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’m thinking of paying for a full body MOT and looking to see if anyone else has done this and think it was worth the cost, Nuffield Health offer one for £700 which looks fairly indepth.

No specific reason for wanting it other than getting to late 30s and finding it harder to shake the little niggles and aches and would like to know if there’s any lifestyle changes that would help my long term health.
Had these every year when I was working from about 40 as it was included under the company health insurance plan as a heavily-discounted optional extra - have had them at Nuffield and BUPA, very little difference between the two in terms of content. I won’t get one every year now but will do so periodically - think they are decent value.

You’ll have seen from the website presumably how in-depth the assessment is - usually takes around 3 hours, most results are given on the day (for example they do things like blood samples etc first and analyse them while you’re doing other things), a session with a GP is included for certain tests and you usually end with a summarising discussion with the consultant which goes into some detail on things like nutrition, lifestyle etc. You also get a full written report with results and recommendations afterwards.

You can get some of the tests free from your GP - obvious stuff like cholesterol, blood pressure, PSA etc - but I found getting everything done comprehensively and at one time very useful and the reality is you won’t get the tests done individually unless you have a reason to do so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here