Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Full body MOT

LockStock

Jan 29, 2008
Sussex
I’m thinking of paying for a full body MOT and looking to see if anyone else has done this and think it was worth the cost, Nuffield Health offer one for £700 which looks fairly indepth.

No specific reason for wanting it other than getting to late 30s and finding it harder to shake the little niggles and aches and would like to know if there’s any lifestyle changes that would help my long term health.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think I just about scrape an MOT, a few patches on the sills, a few knocks and creaks from the suspension when I hit a pothole. exterior body work is a bit tatty on the outside but looks respectsble from 10 yards. The vinyl roof isn't great, but It's not so bad I have an aftermarket sunroof yet.

I have been wondering if you can go and get cancer screening done, via a blood test or something. My Dad died very quickly at 56 from Oesophagal cancer . . . Which haunts me. I'm 52 this year and would like to live a little longer Yet

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I’m thinking of paying for a full body MOT and looking to see if anyone else has done this and think it was worth the cost, Nuffield Health offer one for £700 which looks fairly indepth.

No specific reason for wanting it other than getting to late 30s and finding it harder to shake the little niggles and aches and would like to know if there’s any lifestyle changes that would help my long term health.
I have no idea about the value for money or what should be included but my advice is do it. I ignored certain signs and that resulted in a stint in intensive care, which led to another one.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
I think I just about scrape an MOT, a few patches on the sills, a few knocks and creaks from the suspension when I hit a pothole. exterior body work is a bit tatty on the outside but looks respectsble from 10 yards. The vinyl roof isn't great, but It's not so bad I have an aftermarket sunroof yet.

I have been wondering if you can go and get cancer screening done, via a blood test or something. My Dad died very quickly at 56 from Oesophagal cancer . . . Which haunts me. I'm 52 this year and would like to live a little longer Yet
I hear you. My dad, who I never saw after he and my mum split up when I was six, died of cancer of the neck, aged 60. Biggest regret in my life was not trying to get in touch with him for fear of upsetting my mum.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I used to get the Nuffield checks through work, and would say do it, if you can afford that amount of money. If nothing else, the tests give you a baseline for measuring future deterioration! My blood tests picked up a slight anomaly 15 years ago that needs monitoring, but I doubt it would have been spotted via my GP. The range of tests seemed to change with each visit, but I found it generally reassuring.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

I have an annual 360 at the Nuffield and would recommend it.

Be honest with the questionnaire, and expect a little lecturing. It's for your own good and will probably give you the motivation to make some changes.

I'm 50 and have never had any serious health issues, but the check up gives me piece of mind.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Thinking of doing one these also . Probably ought to have done so years ago as I work for Nuffield so get it free and have never taken advantage of that. Hopefully shows nothing wrong but as a 40 something who probably drinks 30-40 units a week I'm fully expecting it to tell me I'm fooked.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
For £700 if you get absolutely everything done then I think that's a reasonable amount.

Feel good apart from slight backache occasionally. Deep heat/Ibuleve does the trick. Right testicle feels a bit tender although I must cut down on w*nking.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove

My advice before you do any medical test is to ask yourself two questions.
1. Why are you doing the test?
2. What you going to do with the results (particularly if they're abnormal)? In my experience private providers sometimes (probably often) tell people to go and see their GP if anything's abnormal (and there will be some abnormal results if you do enough tests).

What tests are they offering and will they help diagnose aches and niggles? I have to be a bit careful because I don't want to start offering medical advice online. Keeping it simple and non-specific I think you'd be better off seeing a medical professional first and deciding which tests (if any) are useful. Physio/pilates/yoga will be the answer if the aches are musculoskeletal (but you need to see someone to get this checked and make sure it's not anything else first).

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Classic NSC in the responses on here. Well done all, witty humour mixed with sensible replies.

:lol:

LockStock

Jan 29, 2008
Sussex
Thank you all for the replies.

Some proper dad jokes in the mix too.

The 360 is the one I was looking at, think I’ll go for it. As I said, no major worries but just aware getting to the age where the body doesn’t heel as quickly and hangovers last forever.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I had 3/4 of these as a work perk - done at BUPA Gatwick. I saved them up so that I could have the more in-depth checks done every few years rather than a basic annual check.

Was interesting to compare blood results - how the liver etc is doing. Cholesterol - which I knew was high anyway (I've been on statins for 10+ years). Some simple tests like strength of grip, hearing, lung capacity. Was also fun comparing results with a mate of mine who had similar BUPA check ups ... usually after we'd had a few beers.

But if I could give one piece of advice to anyone thinking of undertaking one of these MOTs ... when it comes to completing initial info and they ask you if you want a male or female doctor at the end of the day ... you need to know whose got the chunkiest fingers!!!!!

I usually asked for a female doctor ... but one I had must have been morbidly obese - and she was giving me advice (a lecture) on diet and lifestyle ... but more importantly, she had really big chunky fingers!!! Made my eyes water :eek:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

If you're worried about it, haven't asked for a blood test before (or a long time ago) just tell your GP. If they're anything like mine, they'll check all the markers with a blood test, no problem and it won't cost anything. As you're over 50, if they've not asked you to come in for a health check then you're probably overdue one anyway. The NHS do this.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

I have comprehensive (I think) blood and urine tests done each year on the Portuguese NHS (SNS). My SNS doctor gives me a voucher to go to a private clinic and get a Unilabs analysis with a printout over a page long of all the things they measure with the measurement and the "normal" range for each one. I can easily see if anything is out of range and my doctor also gets a copy. I would think the same service is available in the UK, albeit maybe you have to pay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here