Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Walking away after the game a Charlton fan (50ish) came over to a Brighton fan in front of me, shock his hand and said Brighton were a pleasure to watch and that our support was superb.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
People criticise me for waiting all summer for Kaz to arrive, but who smiling now. I professional, not internet fatties

Gus Poyet what a HERO!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
More Charlton:

"The most depressing thing about today’s result is that it wasn’t terribly surprising. To be fair, 4-0 flatters Brighton a little and, as Phil Parkinson has said, at least two of their goals were very disappointing from a defensive point of view. However, Brighton proved today that they have everything Charlton don’t have; quality on the ball and the ability to pass and move and hence retain possession. I honestly don’t think Charlton were any worse today than in any of this season’s previous home games [though I missed the JPT game against Dagenham and so can’t comment on that] and there was no lack of effort. We were just up against a much better side and they cruelly exposed our weaknesses. It’s a moot point whether Brighton have better individual players, but they have a better blend, are better organised and, quite obviously, are much better coached.

Today was the third time I’ve seen Poyets’ Brighton [having watched them at the Valley in February and against Rochdale earlier this season] and they look a very good side. What really struck me today though was the type of player Poyet has chosen to acquire. The immense Radostin Kishishev is a perfect example. Today he found space, kept things simple and moved the ball on. Contrast this with Parkinson’s signing of Kyel Reid. When he gets the ball his immediate and only instinct is to get his head down and go past his opponent. Of course, when this comes off it is great to watch and sometimes creates an opening, but Reid never helps his side to keep the ball or to control the game. I know this is an extreme example, but I don’t think it is an unfair characterisation; whilst Reid and Charlton constantly went down blind alleys, Kishishev and Brighton opened doors and found space.

The overarching impression for me today was that Charlton were a side of individuals, all trying their best to make something happen, but with very little collective effort and certainly no real game plan, whilst Brighton played as a real team with intelligence and according to a clear tactical plan. Not only are Charlton not coached to play like Brighton, but Parkinson hasn’t signed the players to do it either. As I see it, this means that the “team will gel in time” rhetoric is completely empty. With these players we are destined to live with unintelligent hit and hope football. I don’t know where we go from here, but it’s very hard to see beyond a continuing, quality-less battle for points and, almost certainly, ultimate frustration and disappointment."

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
Another quote from Charlton message board:-

"It gives me no pleasure to say I predicted 0-3 forcing the departure of Parky.

Brighton were the best footballing side I saw at the Valley last season and I thought they were superb today.

Brazil v Ebbsfleet reserves.

That was the gulf in class today.

Any manager who thought for one moment that Abbott and Costello might be worthy successors to Horsfield, Powell, Hales, Mendonca and Bent
needs to quietly reach for his coat.

Lets move on... "

Just can´t read enough of them.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Fair play to Charlton. Applauded out team off and extremely generous in defeat. Lets hope they turn their season round and sneak in to the play off's.

I think there is quality there, but they ran up against the best performance i've seen for years today and that is credit to our players not their poor performance.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
watching brazil,and gus poyet ma lord,2 songs i detest

tomysupercup

North Stand Kollective
Sep 17, 2004
NORTH STAND
From the report on the Charlton club website:-

"It was an awful afternoon all round for the Addicks who were second best in all departments against Gus Poyet's innovative side.

The visitors dazzled with patient and precise passing and their thoughtful approach to doing things different from set-pieces would also reap rewards.

It's hard to believe that a small pocket of fans had been moaning about the slow build-up that the Seasiders had adopted under their Uruguayan manager.

From the onset here they got the ball down and passed it at every possibility, not being afraid to play triangular passes between the centre-backs and goalkeeper at the start of moves."

Fair play to them for a balanced and very complementary view!

LOVE IT

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

:albion1::albion1::albion1:

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

:rave::rave::rave:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I didn't know until I watched the highlights on Sky+ that they were unbeaten at home all season until yesterday.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Busterblitz 9 hours ago # 111

First match I've been to since I've arrived at University.

University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton, 5 mins walk from there new stadium

And you just begin to ask yourself: 'Why am I suffering through this, there is a far better and easier option on my front door.'

I hope it doesn't get to that stage

Parkinson and co didn't have a clue what to do in terms of tactics. Reading the local paper in Brighton and online, he gave the impression of knowing precisely what was coming and how Brighton would play. Did he really expect them to be that predictable, other than the fact that they were top. I understand why he played Daily at RB, but he should have changed it earlier. I thought the line-up was too aggresive when I saw it at the start. Martin and Dailly on the right just screamed inbalance, and this should have been addressed earlier. If you look at the teams on paper I would say it's fairly even still.

Ankergren looked comfortable in possesion, not normally a compliment given to goalkeepers but certainly warrented here.
Calderon looks very good at this level, reminds me of Richardson last year in terms of ability. How he got into that position without a defender near him is just unthinkable.
Greer was immense, made our attackers look as useless as they are.
I'd go through the rest, but I think you get the picture.

Poyet was absolutly superb, not just in the game, but evidently on the training pitch, and I can't believe that it wasn't clear that this was the case from his showing when caretaker at Leeds. Always one step ahead of Parkinson, in reality probably 3 or 4 steps. The way they started looked passing it around the back looked immensely composed, showing great confidence in their manager and how he wishes to play. Their corner routine had us perplexed. The fact that it happened again though, was the worst part about it. They looked well set up and had a functioning plan A. People complain about a lack of a Plan B. Somebody tell me what our Plan A is supposed to be?

I long for a time when we can chant for our manager, as loudly as those fans did.

joker

BHA Blues Away
Aug 2, 2010
Eastbourne
Absolute tosh. Completely outplayed by a footballing side. No hit and hope from BHA just patient passing football. I'm not going to waste my hard earnt on that rubbish until Parkinson goes

I long for a time when we can chant for our manager, as loudly as those fans did

I just can't stop reading or posting about it, I'll miss the game this week due to a weekend away with the missus, bloody hell what was I thinking, bring on Peterborough I'll be there for sure

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here