Froch v Groves

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

markw

Aug 28, 2009
a few watching this must of had a few drinks! biased commentary from that jock made it sound like groves was winning even rounds! froch is a world champion and done exactly what he said, once he started landing flush then groves was going down and the ref stopped it from happening, he was out on his feet even when the ref had him in the corner and saved him from serious damage.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
come on, give him a break, he has to come out with that sort of stuff , he grew old overnight tonight , I thought groves would win on points , but he was awesome tonight,what a ridiculous stoppage though , although to be fair, I think froch may well have stopped him properly had it gone on any longer , froch wont fight again , or if he does, he'll get ironed out.

Well said Bushy. Some of the crap that people have come out with about Carl Froch on here just shows how goddam myopic & biased they are. You'd think that Froch had stopped the bleedin' fight at the end & not the Referee.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
a few watching this must of had a few drinks! biased commentary from that jock made it sound like groves was winning even rounds! froch is a world champion and done exactly what he said, once he started landing flush then groves was going down and the ref stopped it from happening, he was out on his feet even when the ref had him in the corner and saved him from serious damage.

Froch should have been stopped in round 1

He was lucky tonight, groves being 25 has a big future

Think Froch has been found out tonight

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Couldn't agree more. He was a tool from the beginning, his ego has taken a massive knock. If Groves had been the one who went down in the first round, the ref would have finished the fight then. There was no respect for Groves.

tbh i thought groves was acting embarrassing, especially on ringside, he was acting like a school kid. this was the only fight i wanted to him to lose, every other fight i thought was always backing him, BUT i feel bad for him, he should of won.

he is was world class, i was worried he lost too much weight, but he was super quick, super strong and turned the whole crowd round. he always resembled haye style wise, and he talked like an adam both/haye hybrid haha i dont think he will act like **** again in the build, i feel he had to get the fight with froch (even though he was mandatory) and had to break carl down.

on to pacquaio/rios now!

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Groves knocking Froch to the floor in the first round summed up the match.

markw

Aug 28, 2009
Why would froch be stopped on a soft knockdown? he got straight up and fought straight away. groves took 5 big shots at the end and was being lined up for a big knockout!
This fight actually went as the people in the know expected, younger fighter running the early rounds and froch coming back into it and stopping him, groves started well but inexperience showed when he got cocky and tried to brawl a warrior.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea

jim watt is the worse commentator around, one min he will say something, then contradict himself the next min. it was stopped early, but groves turned his back and didn't defend himself, he could of got a serious injury, like what happened the other week with mike perez and abdusalamov, maybe abit of inexperience on groves part, but it was stopped early, but hindsight is a wonderful thing...

also though, it wasn't a softy knockdown from froch, he was two pieced and he was shaken, but fair play he got back up and kept in there.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Definitely agree with you over Jim Watts views. There were 4 or 5 rounds that were close and not dominated by Groves like Watt said. Maybe the ref should have let it go another few secs but the result would have been the same.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
tbh i thought groves was acting embarrassing, especially on ringside, he was acting like a school kid. this was the only fight i wanted to him to lose, every other fight i thought was always backing him, BUT i feel bad for him, he should of won.

he is was world class, i was worried he lost too much weight, but he was super quick, super strong and turned the whole crowd round. he always resembled haye style wise, and he talked like an adam both/haye hybrid haha i dont think he will act like **** again in the build, i feel he had to get the fight with froch (even though he was mandatory) and had to break carl down.

on to pacquaio/rios now!

To be fair though, Groves did match what he was saying before the fight. Froch on the other hand failed with everything he said. Groves stated he'd get him in the first round and he did. Froch with hindsight is a trash talker who repeatedly rubbished Groves ability. George claims the bragging rights for me.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Why would he be stopped on a soft knockdown? he got straight up and fought straight away. groves took 5 big shots and was being lined up for a big knockout!

Watch it again, his legs were gone.

George will learn from this, he should have finished Froch in first round.

If a rematch happens, there will only be one winner, Groves will learn from this and be better

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Given that Froch was still clearly in the fight 8 rounds later (ignoring the farce that occurred), can you please justify that.

He was more dazed than Groves from that knock out. Groves never lost his legs, Froch did. Why didn't the ref headlock Froch at that point?

markw

Aug 28, 2009
He was more dazed than Groves from that knock out. Groves never lost his legs, Froch did. Why didn't the ref headlock Froch at that point?

if froch had been in trouble I am sure he would, but...froch got straight up and it wasn't a barrage of punches that put him down. I took it as tongue in cheek when froch said he couldn't remember the knockdown!

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
To be fair though, Groves did match what he was saying before the fight. Froch on the other hand failed with everything he said. Groves stated he'd get him in the first round and he did. Froch with hindsight is a trash talker who repeatedly rubbished Groves ability. George claims the bragging rights for me.

yeah not doubt, i just mean the ego arrogant school yard talking out the side of his mouth comments he made that i cringed at, basically what degale done against him haha but yeah he backed up his game plan, which i thought would be a suicide mission, clearly it wasnt though. its amazing how far along groves has come since the degale fight, and how far backwards degale has gone.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Overall it was a good fight, the most exciting iv seen in years!, good for boxing and British boxing but the ref should of let groves see the round out, Froch would of stopped him soon after!.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
FFS that was ludicrous. What a terrible end to a great fight. How anyone can justify the ref stopping it the way he did is just beyond me. The crowd told you everything you needed to know at the end.

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
No chance of a rematch. No one else left for Froch to fight. Andre Ward would have him for breakfast on this showing, so he should probably call it a day.

D

Deleted member 18477

Not after that display he aint

Who has the belts? Not GG...

GG will be world champ one day but he might have taken a serious beating in the later rounds there... it was only going to end in tears after he missed his chance early in the fight...

Never, ever count froch out of a fight - too many getting on his back. He didnt stop the fight and he offered a re-match.

Hopefully GG stops his ridiculous pre fight rubbish and becomes as likeable as his boxing is... a real talent and technically a better boxer than froch. Froch however is a brutal warrior... and can cause serious damage.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
A poor end to a great fight. Froch was all over the place twice in that fight, I just wonder if Froch's reputation for withstanding immense punishment comes into the referees decision making process earlier in the fight and if so is that really fair?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports