Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Fright night" at the Amex

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No it wont have 0 affect on that, just sound more like a swimming baths on the weekend

Was derailed on another subject answering someone else

Oh, OK :thumbsup:

If this promotion was just called "Kids For A Quid", would that be better? It's just a name (and a bit of incentive for children), that's all. It's not going to make the Amex sound like the crowd at a schoolboy international.

You know what, I'd love to be able to go back and experience a game at the Goldstone again just for one night. I always wonder if people's perception's of atmosphere back then aren't just a little rose-tinted by the passage of time? For much of the time I went there (1986-97) it was mostly half empty and the Albion were mostly rubbish. Were old grounds REALLY that intimidating/atmospheric all the time or are we just getting all nostalgic for something that wasn't necessarily the case anyway. This doesn't just apply to the Albion, but to all clubs. Look at YouTube footage of Palace v Albion from the early 1980s. The terraces have huge gaps on them, and yet this was supposed to be the peak period of our rivalry with them.

Could be wrong, but let's not get TOO gooey about the past.

Jan 30, 2008
I think the club has made their position very clear on goal music.

I don't see why people can't grasp that this is just a tarted up way of pushing Kids For A Quid. That's all.

Besides. I see groups of blokes all dressed in similar outfits at many football games and nobody seems to be complaining at their dress sense.
WHY WOULD THEY it's a football match :facepalm: I ALWAYS THINK OF FANCY DRESS AS A CENTRAL POINT OF AN EVENT, WHERE DOES THE FOOTBALL COME INTO THIS EQUATION ???
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
oh, ok :thumbsup:

If this promotion was just called "kids for a quid", would that be better? It's just a name (and a bit of incentive for children), that's all. It's not going to make the amex sound like the crowd at a schoolboy international.

You know what, i'd love to be able to go back and experience a game at the goldstone again just for one night. I always wonder if people's perception's of atmosphere back then aren't just a little rose-tinted by the passage of time? For much of the time i went there (1986-97) it was mostly half empty and the albion were mostly rubbish. Were old grounds really that intimidating/atmospheric all the time or are we just getting all nostalgic for something that wasn't necessarily the case anyway. This doesn't just apply to the albion, but to all clubs. Look at youtube footage of palace v albion from the early 1980s. The terraces have huge gaps on them, and yet this was supposed to be the peak period of our rivalry with them.

Could be wrong, but let's not get too gooey about the past.
it's nice to know your history though ???
regards
DR

paul & shark

Sep 17, 2013
Oh, OK :thumbsup:

If this promotion was just called "Kids For A Quid", would that be better? It's just a name (and a bit of incentive for children), that's all. It's not going to make the Amex sound like the crowd at a schoolboy international.

You know what, I'd love to be able to go back and experience a game at the Goldstone again just for one night. I always wonder if people's perception's of atmosphere back then aren't just a little rose-tinted by the passage of time? For much of the time I went there (1986-97) it was mostly half empty and the Albion were mostly rubbish. Were old grounds REALLY that intimidating/atmospheric all the time or are we just getting all nostalgic for something that wasn't necessarily the case anyway. This doesn't just apply to the Albion, but to all clubs. Look at YouTube footage of Palace v Albion from the early 1980s. The terraces have huge gaps on them, and yet this was supposed to be the peak period of our rivalry with them.

Could be wrong, but let's not get TOO gooey about the past.

I still have massive love for grounds like London Road

It maybe, just maybe cos i had the best time of my life travelling to dumps, paying on the gate, drinking to much.

You make a very valid point there

BUT i am gonna get gooey about the past cos it was blinding :)

I am a bit of a grump when it comes to modern arenas, no smoking, etc etc

The Yid thing also has turned into a right drama, that annoys me too, let em get on with it for god sake.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I still have massive love for grounds like London Road

It maybe, just maybe cos i had the best time of my life travelling to dumps, paying on the gate, drinking to much.

You make a very valid point there

BUT i am gonna get gooey about the past cos it was blinding :)

I am a bit of a grump when it comes to modern arenas, no smoking, etc etc

The Yid thing also has turned into a right drama, that annoys me too, let em get on with it for god sake.

Hey look. In my mind the Goldstone was always brilliant too. And some of the best away trips I've been on were to crappy old grounds, stood on terraces in the freezing cold.

But occasionally I wonder if I'm not looking back with rose tinted spectacles and whether it would all seem very different to how I imagine if I was actually able to be there again. That's all.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
For info from the Ticket Office:

"I can confirm that to take advantage of the £1 Under-16 deal, it needs to be with a full-paying accompanying Adult on the night. Therefore, unfortunately, Season Ticket Holders do not qualify as full-paying accompanying Adults."

My Daughter wont be going after all then!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You would of thought those posters who made themselves look like absolute plums over Spanish Day, would have learned the lesson and piped down.

Oh well, such is life on a message board.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Just been musing about what is more likely to get youngsters interested and involved:-

a) Turning every other game into some kind of pantomime / fancy dress / clackerfest

or

b) A successful team playing quality, attractive, exciting football

Maybe I should start a poll!

And now I've just read that existing adult STHs will NOT be allowed to bring along their kids for a quid. Nice work.

Jan 30, 2008
People have this archaic idea of football being this last standing bastion of manliness and British stoicism.

As far as I'm concerned if seats are being filled and those people might come back the following week then fine. Fancy dress, gimmicks, whatever, I don't care.
cardboard cut outs even :timmy:
regards
DR

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
having not commented on that one, how did it all go :shrug:
regards
DR
Well I think the first thing to take away from the game is the FACT that nobody died!
It didn't stop the earth's rotation.
To be fair though it didn't end world famine, either.

Nobody seemed too insulted.
People enjoyed the food and beer.
Those that dressed up enjoyed dressing up.

Then everybody went home.

Jan 30, 2008
Well I think the first thing to take away from the game is the FACT that nobody died!
It didn't stop the earth's rotation.
To be fair though it didn't end world famine, either.

Nobody seemed too insulted.
People enjoyed the food and beer.
Those that dressed up enjoyed dressing up.

Then everybody went home.
thanks for your reply and points taken but did it improve the atmosphere or was it just Purely personnel gratification ON THE INDIVIDUALS BEHALF ???
regards
DR

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
thanks for your reply and points taken but did it improve the atmosphere or was it just Purely personnel gratification ON THE INDIVIDUALS BEHALF ???
regards
DR
That sums it up quite nicely, I wouldn't say it made any difference either way.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
To chill all those behind glass in the top-notch boxes they should set up a Salems Lott routine of a sudden gaseousness outside and a nefarious floating boy tapping on their windows and whispering something devilish. If i saw that i'd shoot myself in the faces.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here