Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Fridge repair

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
At least send a signed for letter to the retailer beforehand, also explaining the obvious urgency.
Doesn't need to be signed, just an email with correct name etc is fine.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
That's what Westander said, it's the only realistic approach.

I'm still looking for a reliable repairer though.

Why are the repairers you’ve found not reliable?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
They're not. It's just always better to have a recommendation from someone who's used them before

Can you get Zanussi or their own repair agent to do it ? That way they can’t say your own repair was too expensive

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Can you get Zanussi or their own repair agent to do it ? That way they can’t say your own repair was too expensive

Because I've spent over an hour on the phone to Zanussi today. I've emailed them and sent out a tweet about poor service - absolutely no response.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Because I've spent over an hour on the phone to Zanussi today. I've emailed them and sent out a tweet about poor service - absolutely no response.

Did you get through to them? They should offer a repair service

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

'Mohammed I'm hard Bruce Lee' is your man (right words, but not necessarily in the right order!).

I don't agree with him about lots of things but would never dare question him when it comes to white goods.

Hope this helps (if you can find the poster from that flurry of words)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
'Mohammed I'm hard Bruce Lee' is your man (right words, but not necessarily in the right order!).

I don't agree with him about lots of things but would never dare question him when it comes to white goods.

Hope this helps (if you can find the poster from that flurry of words)

Yeah, he came to look at our cooker when it packed up on 23 December one year. (He told us that it was completely knackered and we needed a new one, but at least we knew)

Didn't think he did fridges as well

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yeah, he came to look at our cooker when it packed up on 23 December one year. (He told us that it was completely knackered and we needed a new one, but at least we knew)

Didn't think he did fridges as well

Pretty sure he covers all white goods.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I’d be going freezer compart-mental if this happened to me.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Thought people would like an update on the fridge saga. Tried a few local firms who told me nothing could be done and it had to be a Zanussi service engineer.

Took a couple of weeks to get one, he tried to fix it but it istopped working just after he left. Have been on the phone to Zanussi, who checked with engineer who confirmed that it was probably not repairable: Zanussi said that I had to buy a new fridge and, as I suspected they'd say, because it was out of warranty, I couldn't get a refund. I quoted the Consumer Rights Act but the woman said that it didn't apply because it was out of warranty,

I've checked the legal position and white goods should work for up to six years: a fridge that packs up about 13 months after being bought is clearly not fit for use. I now have to buy a new fridge and sue for my money back. I'm almost certain to win but what a lot of hoops to jump through.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Thought people would like an update on the fridge saga. Tried a few local firms who told me nothing could be done and it had to be a Zanussi service engineer.

Took a couple of weeks to get one, he tried to fix it but it istopped working just after he left. Have been on the phone to Zanussi, who checked with engineer who confirmed that it was probably not repairable: Zanussi said that I had to buy a new fridge and, as I suspected they'd say, because it was out of warranty, I couldn't get a refund. I quoted the Consumer Rights Act but the woman said that it didn't apply because it was out of warranty,

I've checked the legal position and white goods should work for up to six years: a fridge that packs up about 13 months after being bought is clearly not fit for use. I now have to buy a new fridge and sue for my money back. I'm almost certain to win but what a lot of hoops to jump through.

Did you use a credit card? This is exactly the kind of thing they should be doing

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No. A debit card

Ah OK. In future try and buy big stuff on credit card as you get a reasonable level of protection there, and Visa going after the retailer you used will add more weight

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I quoted the Consumer Rights Act but the woman said that it didn't apply because it was out of warranty
Yes, she is wrong. We have rights as consumers. A retailer can offer a 1 year warranty, hell they could offer a 1 hour warranty if they liked, but that doesn't take away from our statutory rights. But they try and fob us off in the hope we give up.

You say you 'quoted the Consumer Rights Act but the woman said that it didn't apply because it was out of warranty' - was that in writing, or over the phone? If the latter, do it all again in writing.

I've checked the legal position and white goods should work for up to six years: a fridge that packs up about 13 months after being bought is clearly not fit for use.
Exactly.
I now have to buy a new fridge and sue for my money back. I'm almost certain to win but what a lot of hoops to jump through.
You may not have to sue in the end, they may buckle when they know you're not giving up.

Then tell them (in writing) that because they are refusing your claim you will have to purchase a new fridge, and you will be making a claim under the sale of goods act etc. Before you start a legal claim, make it clear to them that that is what you will do if they haven't paid your claim within a time frame (maybe about 2 weeks, but check).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You say you 'quoted the Consumer Rights Act but the woman said that it didn't apply because it was out of warranty' - was that in writing, or over the phone? If the latter, do it all again in writing.

Over the phone

You may not have to sue in the end, they may buckle when they know you're not giving up.

Then tell them (in writing) that because they are refusing your claim you will have to purchase a new fridge, and you will be making a claim under the sale of goods act etc. Before you start a legal claim, make it clear to them that that is what you will do if they haven't paid your claim within a time frame (maybe about 2 weeks, but check).

Yes, that's exactly what I'm going to do. Which? has a template letter that I can use. I'll also make it clear that if I take legal action, I'll also seek to recover legal costs and compensation for time taken off work to attend court (and my standard day rate is more than the cost of the fridge)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here