Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Friday signing day

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
We have got rid of about 8 players now....some on good money, budget similar to last year, so we now need to start to see who these 5 new very good players OG is bringing in..

Everything seems to take so bloody long with us...but I've always been an impatient individual.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Barber has already come out and said the playing budget is about the same as last year hasn't he ?, if so then there's plenty in the pot for wages plus a few small(ish) fees I would think.

Looking at those which have gone we must have saved circa 40k per week on wages with Bridge, Vicente etc. That gives room for some decent signings if barber is correct about the budget. Personally that is a huge saving as regards ffp so I wonder how many will come in

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I feel certain that Upson would not have joined a team who wouldn't at least be trying to compete at the top of the division this year.
To do so we'll need signings.
I think we'll see at least three loan deals and a permanent by end of August. I wouldn't be surprised if the club confirmed a new signing tonight to get a few more bums on seats for Villareal and Norwich.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Barber has already come out and said the playing budget is about the same as last year hasn't he ?, if so then there's plenty in the pot for wages plus a few small(ish) fees I would think.

He has.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Everything seems to take so bloody long with us...but I've always been an impatient individual.

Keep being patient. I believe that Oscar has had a good look at the players now, which is why some have been shown the door, ring out the old, ring in the new.
We could start the season without new signings/loans, by then our bargaining chip is better.

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
Keep being patient. I believe that Oscar has had a good look at the players now, which is why some have been shown the door, ring out the old, ring in the new.
We could start the season without new signings/loans, by then our bargaining chip is better.

Hmm.....I'd prefer a 9pm sensational announcement

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Hmm.....I'd prefer a 9pm sensational announcement

I think that if a few months ago we debated who we would like to see leave the club, then Painter, Dicker, Toby, Harley would have been on the list. I think you really have to make sure that players you want out have gone before you introduce new ones, especially with the rules in place. With both left backs gone, that position had to be filled, and has been. The squad number 4 has not been taken yet.
What has been happening behind the scenes has given me optimism. I think when the time is right the players we need to strengthen will turn up.

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
I think that if a few months ago we debated who we would like to see leave the club, then Painter, Dicker, Toby, Harley would have been on the list. I think you really have to make sure that players you want out have gone before you introduce new ones, especially with the rules in place. With both left backs gone, that position had to be filled, and has been. The squad number 4 has not been taken yet.
What has been happening behind the scenes has given me optimism. I think when the time is right the players we need to strengthen will turn up.

I'm always optimistic and remain so. I also think we needed the clear out that's been happening, I guess I would have expected more than an unproven LB by now. The signing of Upson was critical but I'm convinced we will need some (3 or 4) very good signings if we want to impose ourselves from the off this season.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I'm always optimistic and remain so. I also think we needed the clear out that's been happening, I guess I would have expected more than an unproven LB by now. The signing of Upson was critical but I'm convinced we will need some (3 or 4) very good signings if we want to impose ourselves from the off this season.

I think the players we need might be available after the season starts. The Prem and Spanish leagues do not start until 2 weeks after the Championship season, so these teams are still trying out players. If you buy early you pay top price, proved by how much Palace have paid for a virtual untested striker.
Once the squads of Prem and Spanish teams are sorted, then a few gems might be available to sign or on loan.
So we have until the 31st Aug to sign, or a couple of prudent loans early season. Ok we may go a few games with the players we have now, but rather than panic buy/loan foolishly now, then have to wait until the Jan transfer to off load or buy when everyone is looking....a bit of patience may be required. I'm sure one way or another we will see new faces.

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
I think the players we need might be available after the season starts. The Prem and Spanish leagues do not start until 2 weeks after the Championship season, so these teams are still trying out players. If you buy early you pay top price, proved by how much Palace have paid for a virtual untested striker.
Once the squads of Prem and Spanish teams are sorted, then a few gems might be available to sign or on loan.
So we have until the 31st Aug to sign, or a couple of prudent loans early season. Ok we may go a few games with the players we have now, but rather than panic buy/loan foolishly now, then have to wait until the Jan transfer to off load or buy when everyone is looking....a bit of patience may be required. I'm sure one way or another we will see new faces.

All fair comments Soulman. Hopefully we won't lose any of our best players and can hit the ground running from the start. We will potentially have 5 league games in August with the current squad and will need to bed new players in through September. I still hope we will get some quality in sooner but we will see.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
All fair comments Soulman. Hopefully we won't lose any of our best players and can hit the ground running from the start. We will potentially have 5 league games in August with the current squad and will need to bed new players in through September. I still hope we will get some quality in sooner but we will see.

It seemed that the club was in turmoil a couple of months ago, but the revamp behind the scenes whilst this was going on i believe had been planned earlier. I'm sure it could not all have been put in place in a couple of weeks. The club has gone up a notch, which is why i would be surprised if we lose any of our best players. We have some quality coaches in place now, right through the club. Even the physio and treatment has improved.
So this is why i think that the playing side will fall into place, and they know what they are doing.
The saying is gearing up for the Premiership, lest we forget it was always a 5 year plan, any sooner is a bonus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here