Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Friday 13th

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
True story.

My dad was obsessed with all sorts of superstitions. The list that I recall included:

- Never doing anything if he could avoid it on Friday 13th
- If he saw a spotted dog he had to cross his fingers until he saw another one. I recall many a holiday as a kid where we all had to do it! It's fun for a few mniutes, not so a few hours.
- never walked under a ladder. I nearly got run over once when he forced us into the road to avoid one!
- if he dropped salt he would always (including in public) chuck salt over his shoulder. Can't recall if it was left or right, maybe left as that's where the devil sits or something?
- Something about magpies and saluting them

I'm sure there is others.

The irony - he died on Friday 13th. (decent age of 82 to be fair).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Likewise, I got my finger caught in a wedding ring on Friday 13th 20 years ago. Worked out passably so far.
Congratulations on 20 years. We're 13 years in!

Reactions: W3D

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We wanted to get married/have big party in mid/late 2004, and Brockwell Lido only had Fri 13th in August free for private hire.. job done, all good.. :thumbsup:
Our situation was a friend proposed just before I did and we felt obliged to have our wedding after his/theirs. He wasn’t back from honeymoon until the season started….and we didn’t want to clash with an Albion game so we went for the only Friday which worked for us….the 13th August. We actually made a theme of “lucky 13” with the invites and stuff.

Like you, we didn’t have any problem finding venues; they were all free on this date!

As aside, I went to a rave at Brockwell Lido around 20 plus years ago.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It is self-fulfilling really. If you believe it's unlucky, it may well be unlucky for you.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
True story.

My dad was obsessed with all sorts of superstitions. The list that I recall included:

- If he saw a spotted dog he had to cross his fingers until he saw another one. I recall many a holiday as a kid where we all had to do it! It's fun for a few mniutes, not so a few hours.
- never walked under a ladder. I nearly got run over once when he forced us into the road to avoid one!
- if he dropped salt he would always (including in public) chuck salt over his shoulder. Can't recall if it was left or right, maybe left as that's where the devil sits or something?

Your dad

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231013_224400_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20231013_224400_Google.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 27

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
True story.

I like this story.

RIP Giraffe Snr

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here