Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] French presidential election 2022

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Michel Barnier, the gentleman former EU negotiator, has put himself forward as a candidate. Currently contesting to be the Republican Party’s candidate. Unexpectedly, placing himself well to the right.

Demanding France regains legal sovereignty lost to the ECHR and ECJ.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/barnier-eu-brexit-france-sovereignty-b1917655.html

Now slamming; wokism, cancel culture and the aggressiveness of power given to minorities over the national interest.

It’s going to be lively!

6E5CCE8E-1491-4BB8-8ABC-083D1DD1EBDD.png
58DF8BE3-8D67-489E-94A4-B7DE45477239.png
72DD70CA-A159-4F06-8F02-14DD29130F40.png

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So a wolf in sheeps clothing all along then. Some of his language is very Brexit / Frexit like.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
from what i can tell all the runners are veering right, anti-immigration, euro-sceptic to varying degrees.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Going to be interesting watching some on the right over here who spent years portraying him as the villain of the piece suddenly having to do a volte face and claim they loved him all along really.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Going to be interesting watching some on the right over here who spent years portraying him as the villain of the piece suddenly having to do a volte face and claim they loved him all along really.

I find it nigh on impossible to even consider that anyone might find the odious creature anything but contemptible.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
from what i can tell all the runners are veering right, anti-immigration, euro-sceptic to varying degrees.

Each attempting to outflank the others, with ever more 'tough' policies.

My guess is that the horrific terrorist attacks over the last 7 years (eg in the Rouen church, the lorry in Nice, random teachers/police officers murdered), has hardened views across much of the electorate.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Each attempting to outflank the others, with ever more 'tough' policies.

My guess is that the horrific terrorist attacks over the last 7 years (eg in the Rouen church, the lorry in Nice, random teachers/police officers murdered), has hardened views across much of the electorate.

that would explain the hardening attitudes about migrants. the euro-sceptism is different, not sure where it comes from. the opposition to cancel culture and political correctness is just the French being, well, spiky and French.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

No chance, he’s an ignorant French c… , why would anyone like him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Equally interesting to watch those who spent years hoping that he might be the man to stop the break-up of the EU/Brexit - or at least trying to hinder the process - to suddenly becoming the devil incarnate!!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Why ? Barnier always seemed pretty straight forward in his dealings. These are the options - red lines you choose define the ones available. Or have I missed something ?

Absolutely. He had negotiating lines that he was going to stick to, and he was far more clever and capable than those on the other side of the table. It wasn't about being left or right wing.

The confrontational "we won't be the first to blink" attitude was what always infuriated me about our negotiators, and was always going to end in failure.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Pretty common in politics. Not least among voters:

Lenny Leftist: I dont like the EU, global capitalism, **** that.

Some right wing demagogue: I dont like the EU.

Lenny Leftist: I've always loved the EU its the best thing to happen to mankind.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
:goal:

Fckn hell, you've summed things up perfectly :bowdown:

Lenny Leftist: I dont like Dominic Cummings, snake of a man

Some right wing demagogue: I use to like him but I don’t like him anymore, back stabbing, turn coating liar

Lenny Leftist: I've always really loved him, I knew he was a good egg all along

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The confrontational "we won't be the first to blink" attitude was what always infuriated me about our negotiators, and was always going to end in failure.

I think we were hoping that individual countries would break ranks. But it didn't happen. We really needed to work out what we wanted before we sat down at the table. But that was clearly far too sensible and anyway would have meant making public the economic costs of the various options. I can't imagine why the government did not want to publicise those.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Pretty common in politics. Not least among voters:

Lenny Leftist: I dont like the EU, global capitalism, **** that.

Some right wing demagogue: I dont like the EU.

Lenny Leftist: I've always loved the EU its the best thing to happen to mankind.

That may be the case in Sweden but not in the UK - all the left wing parties (and the left of the Labour party) were firmly anti-EU

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here