Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] French league 1 abandoned

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Out of interest, if the PL was stopped now, how would Brighton stand? I've heard average points, which would keep us up. On the other hand teams may complain about having played the top 6 away more than others, again Brighton should stay up. Pools panel style decisions. Not too good as we have 6 bad games to play plus bound to give Norwich as H win.
So under what scenario would Brighton get relegated?

I don't think this would happen. Either finish behind closed doors, or scrap the season as we're now seeing elsewhere. Surely the latter is the only real option out of the two.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Chrissy Waddle is right. Kill 2019-20. There is no other way round this now.

(plus we don't get relegated).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
FIFA 's chief doctor says everywhere should abandon and prepare for next season

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52462233

If that's the case globally then 2019/20 should just be null and void. It would upset the Mickeys but everyone's in the same boat come August.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
After 29 out of 39 games played most teams have played enough of a fair share of strong and weak teams that points per game should provide a decent estimate. Both Villa and Bournemouth would struggle to justify that they've got an easier run-in than Watford and West Ham, and they certainly couldn't justify making up the respective 2 and 4 points on us as well as the +10 goal difference.

No. Just no. Two words. Leicester City. Another three words. We stay up.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I guess this means no champions league etc next season? Or start again with this season's teams?! Providing next season even gets underway

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Peter Ridsdale is massively in favour of continuing the season.

That does it for me.

Abandon it.

Robbo eulogy on R5 now.....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I guess this means no champions league etc next season? Or start again with this season's teams?! Providing next season even gets underway

Bin it.

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
I've said from the outset, stop the season now.

Award Liverklopp the title and promote all the teams in automatic promotion places in the other leagues, but don't relegate anyone.

Then relegate one extra team over the next two seasons to restore the Leagues to their current size.

Absolutely this, it's the only sensible option , :whistle:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've said from the outset, stop the season now.

Award Liverklopp the title and promote all the teams in automatic promotion places in the other leagues, but don't relegate anyone.

Then relegate one extra team over the next two seasons to restore the Leagues to their current size.

Norwich are further adrift from the ‘safety line’, than West Brom are clear in the automatic promotion spots. Your solution has no logic.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Leicester City?

Dead and buried in the PL with about 9 games left. Then they win almost all of them, stay up, and win the PL the following season.

You can't assemble a final league table with 9 games left to play. T'aint fair, right or proper.

That's all. :shrug::thumbsup:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Out of interest, if the PL was stopped now, how would Brighton stand? I've heard average points, which would keep us up. On the other hand teams may complain about having played the top 6 away more than others, again Brighton should stay up. Pools panel style decisions. Not too good as we have 6 bad games to play plus bound to give Norwich as H win.
So under what scenario would Brighton get relegated?

Apart from completing the season I haven’t seen an alternative ending where we go down

Let’s pack up and start again afresh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
As already mentioned this is a French government position and the UK government don't seem to share the view (well not yet at least)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Unfortunately the UK government rarely seems to share the same position as others these days.

Although it may be a good thing here.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
If they attempt to restart the season I reckon within a couple of weeks at least one team will get players or staff dropping out with Covid symptoms and then the whole lot will get stopped again. It will take just one squad member in one team getting ill to turn the whole attempt to restart into a farce. Just scrub the season and start again next year.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Given the French league isn't coming back in any form until September at the earliest I would suspect we might need to bin off European football for a year to catch up domestically, especially if UEFA want everything done in advance of Euro 2021.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
If they attempt to restart the season I reckon within a couple of weeks at least one team will get players or staff dropping out with Covid symptoms and then the whole lot will get stopped again. It will take just one squad member in one team getting ill to turn the whole attempt to restart into a farce. Just scrub the season and start again next year.

espcially a team in the bottom 3 :whistle:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Given the French league isn't coming back in any form until September at the earliest I would suspect we might need to bin off European football for a year to catch up domestically, especially if UEFA want everything done in advance of Euro 2021.

Yeah, I imagine you're right

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
From what I’ve read, the tests give a false negative in about 30% of cases. That is a huge error rate. The tests may be improving, but they need to get A LOT better before you could start playing contact sports whilst reliant on test results.
The Premier League seems to be in cloud cuckoo land!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here